Guest wowpow

Pandanus Bar Bistro Bangkok

Guest wowpow

PANDANUS BAR BISTRO

Metblog - Pandanus Bar/Bistro Review

posted by Daniel at 12:41 PM on February 05, 2007

Even though BKK's nightlife is going through a serious slump at the moment, the same couldn't be said for restaurants and Pandanus (50 Soi Nunta, Sathorn 1) has proved that all is healthy in the restaurant market.

So many venue's let their initial appearance look mundane and prefer to concentrate on the food. Whilst this isn't a bad thing, a little design and creativity gives that important first impression a massive boost. Pandanus's architecture has been tastefully done, with the Bistro on the bottom floor and the bar at the top.

The bar reminded me of a NYC bar, especially found in Manhattan's Upper East Side, and makes use of light and textures to create area's where you can hide in the shadows or be seen in full limelight. As for the drinks, the emphasis seems to be on the cocktail menu, which is perfect for those who want some taste in their life other than Johnny Black and soda water.

The bistro has been designed with light in mind and makes use of white and pastel colours where possible. The food is Thai, but with some serious hints of European and American influences along the way. We had the soft-shell crab to start and gai med ma muang (chicken with cashew nuts) and brown rice. The price is very reasonable and this makes it my new local restaurant.

Overall Pandanus gets my pick of the month award for the whole dining and entertainment package. Not only is the bar enjoyable, the decor of the bistro and the available food makes it a venue where spending a few hours is a joy.

http://bangkok.metblogs.com/archives/2007/...us_barbis.phtml

=================================================

Asiacity review

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Housed in a charming villa with lots of white wood and big bay windows, Pandanus Bar Bistro is the new dining spot for the neighborhood

Guest pete1969

Sounds very nice. I will try it when I am in BKK in a couple of months.

One of the great things I love about BKK (more than any other city in LOS) is the vast array of upscale, sophisticated restaurants with great food and service and great value in pricing. I am definitley a lover of street food and Thai food shops not frequented by farang, but as a foodie, I also enjoy the upscale restaurant offerings. Sadly, I have been a bit remiss in really exploring BKK's culinary scene on the upscale end.

Esquire named BKK one of the world's three great food cities, but I tend to always get stuck in restaurants in the Silom-Sukumvhit corridor near the bars or at restaurants or food courts in the shopping malls and markets. Food always seems to be an afterthought in BKK (after sex, bars, and shopping). When I visit other major cities around the world, I always carefully plan my food outings before I go, but I always leave BKK to chance.

Pete

Guest Trongpai

That's the building where the old Babylon was located , ahha the memories. I pass by Pandanus often, looks very classy but I seldom see many customers inside. Parking on the street that goes to the new Babylon on the right.

Maui, down the street has been closed this week, sign says open, all the lights out?

Down the same street and around the corner, Oh ho's is doing well. Now closed on Mondays.