TotallyOz

Facebook

How many use Facebook for friends and family. I just started using it and it is interesting but not quite as enjoyable to me than myspace. But, it seems to be the "in" thing. What is the appeal? Do others really want to know when everyone wakes up and how they are feeling 20 times a day?

Guest jessedane
How many use Facebook for friends and family. I just started using it and it is interesting but not quite as enjoyable to me than myspace. But, it seems to be the "in" thing. What is the appeal? Do others really want to know when everyone wakes up and how they are feeling 20 times a day?

I use both facebook and myspace. Facebook is better for more personal communication I find and I use myspace more for event promotions and such.

Bit of a retrograde view, but something to it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kimberly-bro...f_b_170965.html

Likewise, saw another column the other day (can't find it now) that made interesting points to the effect that Facebook incents living in the eternal present, abrogating emotional-absorption-of-past as well as imagining-the-future. Or something like that.

Guest FourAces

Maybe its just we are all hoping to run into the adorable Chris Hughes who co-founded Facebook and went on to design and run Obama's online presidential campaign. Oh and he just happens to be out and proud :o

post-100094-1237606465_thumb.jpg

• Members

I've signed up for one or the other or maybe both (not sure), but done nothing with it. Get the occasional friend request.

I don't really get it yet. I am really quite satisfied with my ability to communicate with my friends and family via phone and email.

• Members
Maybe its just we are all hoping to run into the adorable Chris Hughes who co-founded Facebook and went on to design and run Obama's online presidential campaign. Oh and he just happens to be out and proud :o

post-100094-1237606465_thumb.jpg

Adorable is really a good description of Chris Hughes. Probably has a few bucks in his pockets too.

• Members
Adorable is really a good description of Chris Hughes. Probably has a few bucks in his pockets too.

Check out this excerpt from his Fast Company interview:

"Hughes grew up in Hickory, North Carolina, the only child of older parents of modest means -- his father was a paper salesman; his mother, a former public-school teacher. Hickory is a deeply conservative slice of America, and as Hughes entered high school, he decided he wanted something different. Without his parents' knowledge, he applied to prep schools, nabbing what he describes as a "very generous financial-aid package" from Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. At boarding school, he came of age more quickly than he had imagined. Part of that process was realizing he was gay: "I went to boarding school Southern, religious, and straight, and I left boarding school not being at all religious and not being straight." And not so Southern either; he has no trace of an accent. "

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/134/bo...html?page=0%2C1

It makes Gaston County look like Soho.

:lol:

... To give the non-NC-fluent a further gauge, Gaston County in turn makes its next-door neighbor, Mecklenburg County (home of banking center Charlotte), look like the 16th arrondissement.

One could keep going like this all day.

• Members

I keep getting invites-and I do feel like a bit of a luddite for not joining,

I joined Myspace and have done nothing on it-if I joinn this and all the cool kids run to the next best thing,,,,,, I think I should just wait.But I was realllllly being harrassed for not having a facebook page at brunch this past weekend.

Just like those that want me to do a blog----why should I blog when I can share here :D

I do think these social networking sites are dinging IBB's(like this one)membership numbers.

• Members
:lol:

... To give the non-NC-fluent a further gauge, Gaston County in turn makes its next-door neighbor, Mecklenburg County (home of banking center Charlotte), look like the 16th arrondissement.

One could keep going like this all day.

Oh but there are some damned cute boys/sexy men in those parts of the world :D

• Members

Townie, I was told last night that myspace is history, and the next thing we need to jump onto is twittering. Facebook is still viable...but must start twittering.

Is anyone else out there getting information overload?