AdamSmith

Where's my book deal

Knew I had overlooked something on the road to riches...

Cashing in

You knew it. It was only a matter of time before America's most-celebrated hero signed a book deal. But who could have guessed that Chesley B. Sullenberger's book would be part "inspirational poetry"?

6069771128F1F2663AD44753CBC54.jpg

No matter. He reportedly got $3.2 million to sign the deal. (Search for more.)

But whether you're an instant celebrity cashing in on fleeting fame or a major superstar just padding your bank account, the book deal has become part of the trip.

Here's a roundup of some recent authors who can be fairly described as "cashing in."

Everybody remembers Joe Wurzelbacher, aka "Joe the Plumber," from the last election cycle. His book, "Joe the Plumber: Fighting for the American Dream," was available well before the inauguration. (Search for more.)

Had Rihanna's bruises even healed before reports surfaced this week that she was teaming with Chris Brown on a book about abuse? (Search for more.)

Not sure what the governor of Illinois makes, but since he got fired, Rod Blagojevich has apparently signed a six-figure deal to tell his side of the story. (Search for more.)

After the Blagosphere, the blogosphere is a great place to find authors.

Remember Jessica Cutler, aka the "The Washingtonienne"? The low-level Senate staffer blogged about her D.C. sexploits but was outed by Wonkette. Then she wrote a novel that suspiciously mirrors her experiences. (Search for more.)

And while it's par for the course for most celebrities, we have to ask: Are we really ready for a memoir "written" by 16-year-old Miley Cyrus? Apparently so. (Search for more.)

If you're not a celebrity and haven't yet had your 15 minutes of fame, sometimes just being a fan works. Jeannie Holleman wrote an "unauthorized tribute" to Clay Aiken. Unfortunately, she lost her lawsuit attempting to force the singer to endorse the book. (Search for more.)

http://a-list.msn.com/default.aspx?cp-sear...xt=Cashing%20in

• Members

Care to know about George Michaels bathroom romps? Here's a blog entry from January 2008. It's 15 months later and I can't find the book at Barnes & Noble:

Except for JK Rowling, George Michael got one of the biggest publishing deals ever in the UK. Reports are that just for the UK rights he was given about $6M. The reason he was given that much is that George has promised that he will spill all and tell all about his life and that everyone will want to read what he has to say.

"George has promised HarperCollins a no-holds barred biography, and it's certain to be just that," the singer's manager, Andy Stephens, said in a statement Wednesday. "People aren't stupid, they're beginning to notice that the truth is more interesting than the stories the press come up with!"

The truth is mush more interesting because we all know it is fact. However, after skimming through the Boy George biography again the other day because I wanted to re-read the bits and pieces about Gavin Rossdale, I am not sure that we will get the truth from George Michael. Oh, I'm sure we will get some good stories but I don't think it will be as honest as Boy George's book. Boy talks a lot of smack about George Michael in his book and it will be interesting to see if George just glosses over things or if he will give us what we want to know.

I want it to be good and think it will be one of the very best tell all type of biographies if he spills. I'm just not sure that he will given his past and how private he has always been. Time will tell.

Hmmm... George Michael was able to be pretty droll about himself on 'The Office'...

Separately, just reminded myself why some have a book deal and others don't. High-quality sound clip of Flight 1549 tower communications, with chilling graphic keying voice to flight path:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-0...plashdown_N.htm