seaboy4hire

Macy's Thanksgiving Parade NYC

• Members

Ok so I have to admit I am a sucker for a good parade. So as a result I am considering braving the freezing NYC winter and attend the parade. I haven't found too much info online on how to attend, like if one needs some kind of ticket or if there are bleachers on some of the route etc. Has anyone attended the parade before? I've got my hotel booked in SOHO which I guess is ok and it is with a major chain and has great reviews on Trip Advisor, so hopefully no surprises will be awaiting me upon my arrival.

Hugs,

Greg

• Members
Ok so I have to admit I am a sucker for a good parade. So as a result I am considering braving the freezing NYC winter and attend the parade. I haven't found too much info online on how to attend, like if one needs some kind of ticket or if there are bleachers on some of the route etc. Has anyone attended the parade before? I've got my hotel booked in SOHO which I guess is ok and it is with a major chain and has great reviews on Trip Advisor, so hopefully no surprises will be awaiting me upon my arrival.

Hugs,

Greg

If you want to sit in bleechers than yes-you need to buy a seat.

I don't advise this as they are very cramped and you are going to be pretty much stuck there for 4 hours or so-and even going to pee is a hassle.Better to just scout a spot on the parade route-if your partner is going with you one can guard the spot while the other does food/coffee/bathroom trips

Is it the new 4 points in SoHo?I stayed there and liked it very much.But the area is a little desolate after work hours and on weekends.The subway is a block away.Let me know and I will private you some tips.

Guest StuCotts

By all means avoid the bleachers.

For general info, the parade starts on CPW at about 81st St. It heads downtown, goes through Columbus Circle onto Broadway and ends up at Macy's on 34th. People line both sides of the full length of the route. You stand where you find room. Being tall is a definite plus. So is being good at hustling a curbside spot, which you'll find to be hotly disputed. Thanks to the informality, you can move from wherever you are to wherever else you want to be. Starting downtown and working your way uptown means you don't have to wait for the whole parade to get to you, and it's great for sightseeing.

It's been decades since I made the scene in person. The event is covered well enough on TV. But I grew up a block and a half from where the parade goes by and was taken to it from my earliest years. I have the kind of feelings for it that last only if they date from infancy.

Enjoy it.