seaboy4hire

Netbook

• Members

I am thinking of getting one of these micro laptops for this years travels, maybe as soon as Sunday or as late as next week, maybe. One of my coworkers got one from Radio Shack for $150 with a two year contract with AT&T's wireless plan for $60 a month. That plan sounds a bit steep for me but we'll see. Does anyone else have a netbook? I have a laptop now that I adore it does what I need when I need it but for travel the netbook in weight alone almost seems worth it. My coworker has the Acer and it was so freaking light! Maybe on a good day it ways about a pound?

Hugs,

Greg

• Members

Greg I have an ASUS 4g,It weighs 2 pound(which is probably what your frinds Acer weighs) and fits perfectly in a book bag or small carry on.

I just love it.It has great built in wireless.And it runs Linux rathere than MS-I just love being unteathered from MS.

I think you can find them for around $200 now on the web.

I have Tmobile for my phone and have the internet package($10 bucks extra)which means I can log in anywhere there is a Tmobile Wireless signal(which includes the chain of coffee shops we both hate)

But there are a ton of coffee houses that have free WiFi.

So I would forgo the $60 a month charge.

IF you want a slightly larger netbook ASUS new 10 just came out for aroung $350-I am very tempted to get one of these and give my 4g to a friend who has been wanting one but cannot afford it.

Both af these are solid state drives with fairly small memory caches-so if you are looking to watch movies,listen to your music you will learn to use usb storage devices.

I love having this thing with me when traveling-and it weighs so little that I don't even think twice about leaving the house with it when I go out.So much more convenient than a full size laptop.

Guest FourAces
I am thinking of getting one of these micro laptops for this years travels, maybe as soon as Sunday or as late as next week, maybe. One of my coworkers got one from Radio Shack for $150 with a two year contract with AT&T's wireless plan for $60 a month. That plan sounds a bit steep for me but we'll see. Does anyone else have a netbook? I have a laptop now that I adore it does what I need when I need it but for travel the netbook in weight alone almost seems worth it. My coworker has the Acer and it was so freaking light! Maybe on a good day it ways about a pound?

Hugs,

Greg

Greg I would suggest you stay away from the ATT plan. Its very expensive and not needed. Check out this Acer http://electronics.hsn.com/acer-aspire-one...RI&ocm=sekw

You can even pay without interest over 4 months and they deliver it right away. A friend of mine has this same netbook and I have played around with it. I think its fantastic.

• Members

TP and Ace thanks for the tips. I wasn't able to get my ass out of bed in time before work on Sunday to get one. But I am gonna hunt around for one (sometimes Craigs List can be my best friend for electronics) online and the stores. With a trip almost every month at least till November this laptop is gonna get real heavy.

Hugs,

Greg

• Members

Well I got me the Acer netbook, the baby one today. I played with it at the store and liked it. The mouse pad will take some getting used to just because it is smaller and the clicky buttons are on the side of the pad and not at the bottom like on my laptop. I had to get the 2 yr contract with At&t wireless which is ok I suppose. Not every place has free wifi like the sidewalk Vivace that I usually go to. The resteraunt across the street from there has wifi but the signal is painfully slow if I am not on their property so the wifi will come in handy during the warmer months when I can sit at the coffee shop for more then 30 minutes. The screen quality is pretty nice too, nice and crisp just like the pc and laptop. I think that for the price $108 with tax is worth it. If someone needs something portable to do email, word docs and some light surfing the Acer so far is mighty nice. Oh forgot to mention it has a built in webcam and mic too. Haven't tried either one of those out but we'll see ;)

Hugs,

Greg

• Members
Well I got me the Acer netbook, the baby one today. I played with it at the store and liked it. The mouse pad will take some getting used to just because it is smaller and the clicky buttons are on the side of the pad and not at the bottom like on my laptop. I had to get the 2 yr contract with At&t wireless which is ok I suppose. Not every place has free wifi like the sidewalk Vivace that I usually go to. The resteraunt across the street from there has wifi but the signal is painfully slow if I am not on their property so the wifi will come in handy during the warmer months when I can sit at the coffee shop for more then 30 minutes. The screen quality is pretty nice too, nice and crisp just like the pc and laptop. I think that for the price $108 with tax is worth it. If someone needs something portable to do email, word docs and some light surfing the Acer so far is mighty nice. Oh forgot to mention it has a built in webcam and mic too. Haven't tried either one of those out but we'll see ;)

Hugs,

Greg

Hey Greg,

I just bought the Acer Aspire One with the 8.9 inch screen from RadioShack on Monday after reading this thread. Also got the 2 yr. AT&T plan with it. So far with all the playing around I have done with it I like it. The 3G works pretty well, and the WLAN will fill the bill when needed. As for the price $99.99), it was too good to pass up. Thanks for the tip.

Knight911