seaboy4hire

Depression era cooking tips

Guest bendit

She is a hoot! But it is I suspect she is popular also because the current economic times have forced the producers of spam to go 24 hours in their productiona nd they can't meet demands. Same for items like velveeta cheese - And highest hits ever on web sites for recipes from Campbell's soup, etc.

Have any of you noticed that, whether or not you have been affected by the downturn (especially in our investments) there is a sort of psychological change taking place? I love entertaining and I used to do it lavishly. Now, I would't think of it - I am searching for all sorts of cheaper comfort foods, not serving high end drinks, etc. I am saving as much as I can, just in case.

Is it just me, or do you find yourselves doing similar things?

• Members

But everything is expensive-not just Foie Gras and Caviar!

Booze is really expensive,and a party that I used to do(4 or5 years ago) for $200-$300 is now well over $500.

And predictions of more inflation are now hitting the airwaves.

BTW-if you want to read an excellent writer on keeping housekeeping/cooking cost down I HIGHLY recomend MFK Fisher.

• Members
She is a hoot! But it is I suspect she is popular also because the current economic times have forced the producers of spam to go 24 hours in their productiona nd they can't meet demands. Same for items like velveeta cheese - And highest hits ever on web sites for recipes from Campbell's soup, etc.

Have any of you noticed that, whether or not you have been affected by the downturn (especially in our investments) there is a sort of psychological change taking place? I love entertaining and I used to do it lavishly. Now, I would't think of it - I am searching for all sorts of cheaper comfort foods, not serving high end drinks, etc. I am saving as much as I can, just in case.

Is it just me, or do you find yourselves doing similar things?

Mentally right now I am not letting it effect me one bit. I am still traveling, buying my Madonna stuff, going to concerts when the rare gem comes to Seattle and downing the coffee like water. But I have noticed at least with my company (I work in the grocery biz) we are having some really kick ass sales, buy one get one free roasts and chickens, pre seasoned raw chickens for just a couple bucks (and they are mighty good) and I've seen decent cuts on NY steak 3 in a pack for $10 or so. Oh yeah I've seen a few buy one get one's coming back in style. A year or two ago many grocers at least here in the Seattle market started doing buy 2 get 1 free which is a total rip off imo.

Hugs,

Greg