TotallyOz

Arizona AG: Marijuana legalization could curb Mexican drug cartel warfare

Guest Hoover42

My sources tell me that these days, even with the higher quality weed that is generally available, no one should pay more than $130 an ounce. Anything more than that and you're being ripped off. Of course, you don't need an ounce to get high. You can just buy a quarter of an ounce (enough for 5-7 joints), and then the price with tax would be around $50 which works out to about a 40% tax.

That does seem, ahem, high, but I think the total taxes on cigarettes are even higher.

...Hoover

Guest 2hard2tame
Make it legal and then tax the hell out of it! The gov does this with booze and ciggies. So why not with pot? The very much honorable and kick ass Congressman Ron Paul thinks at least pot should be legal and taxed.

I love you just for admitting you like Ron Paul.

He is prettty much my hero.

"...the war on drugs has pushed the incarceration business into overdrive. The number of people serving time for drugs has increased from 41,000 in 1980 to 500,000 today, or 55% of the population of federal prisons and 21% of those in state prisons..."

From a new Economist article on efforts by Jim Webb to spur prison reform:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstate...ory_id=13415267