TotallyOz

Do you like Street Fairs?

I am going to be in Rio soon and one of my favorite weekend activities is the Hippie Fair in Ipanema. The Hippie Fair is a mix of handmade items, new stuff, art, and food. It is a great way to spend the day.

When I was in NYC, they used to have the antiques fair on the weekend with tons of googies. I loved going to it.

When I am in Bangkok, JJ Market is a must on weekends. It has so much cheap stuff and tons of knock offs. But, it has its fair share of art that I find from time to time.

Do you like these kinds of street fairs?

I am going to be in Rio soon and one of my favorite weekend activities is the Hippie Fair in Ipanema. The Hippie Fair is a mix of handmade items, new stuff, art, and food. It is a great way to spend the day.

When I was in NYC, they used to have the antiques fair on the weekend with tons of googies. I loved going to it.

When I am in Bangkok, JJ Market is a must on weekends. It has so much cheap stuff and tons of knock offs. But, it has its fair share of art that I find from time to time.

Do you like these kinds of street fairs?

If I was going to one of those places I wouldnt mind going to the street fairs. Reason being is they have alot of different things to look at, foods and art too. You go to some of those and come back with something that one would wonder where it came from. And that just reminds me, Calle 8 next month!

Guest mineallmine

I really adore street fairs! There is a great flea market near Melrose that has way to much to see and some great deals on just about everything. Then there is always the farmers market in Santa Monica and the monthly market at the rose bowl. All of them have great shopping, food, and people watching. I try to hit one just about every other month when I get up to LA.

• Members

Mineallmine-might I suggest a visit to the Hollywood Farmers market if you happen to be in LA on a sunday morning-the eye candy can be suoerb ;)

I do love public markets and street fairs=and i make a point of it to visit the public markets in every city I visit if I have the time.No better way to get the real local flavor of a city.

The street fair circuit becomes a bit of a routine.For example in SF or Montreal it is often the same vendors just changing locations.zThese can be fun but are not always the experience they could be.Still it is ofthen worth a trip.

In Rio there is a weekly farmers market in Copacabana-it is an absolute joy and one of my most vivid memories of that city.

Guest mineallmine
Mineallmine-might I suggest a visit to the Hollywood Farmers market if you happen to be in LA on a sunday morning-the eye candy can be suoerb ;)

Ahhh thank you Townsend..I have certainely been to the Farmers Market in Hollywood! I went there quite often with my ex when we lived in LA. Was always fun to watch at the time though i was taken so not much touching unless we both liked the eye candy. Unfortunately are taste were totally different!

• Members

At the Folsom Street fair last year, I took quite a bit of video, as there were many interesting (and odd) things to see. My brother edited it and put it to music. It's now 14 minutes long. I can email it to anyone interested as it is on a FLIP camera.

• Members
At the Folsom Street fair last year, I took quite a bit of video, as there were many interesting (and odd) things to see. My brother edited it and put it to music. It's now 14 minutes long. I can email it to anyone interested as it is on a FLIP camera.

I'd love a copy. I don't like crowds, so this will be a fun way to experience the fair. I'll send you my email.

Thanks Lucky.

• Members

Last year I had to go to LA for my grandma's funeral and I stayed down in Chinatown. I got to my hotel very late that night from doing family stuff so I didn't notice it till I woke the next day but across the street from my hotel in Chinatown there was a Mexican type market. I surprisingly had quite a bit of time before I had to head to the east side to my tia's so I walked through the market and it was so freaking awesome! I felt like I had been transported back to PV. The market even had that distinctive Mexican (it's like a fermone to me) smell. I had a raging hard on walking the few blocks of the market the whole time. When I get back to LA this will for sure be a must do as I think some of the stuff would go with the theme I want to go with for the new place when we move. Raul maybe you can help me with the name of the place since you get to LA more then I do?

Hugs,

Greg

• Members
Was it Olevera street(open street with many shops and restaurants-kind of ouristy but fun.La Luz del Dia has fantastic carnitas! ?Or the Grand Central Market(covered huge market on Broadway)?Raul is a very good guide to downtown LA BTW and has a great adventerous spirit.

I guess it's the first place you mentioned. I know its not the GCM since that is a must go to to get my gorditos and some produce when I'm down in LA.

Hugs,

Greg

Guest mineallmine

That sounds to me like its the one on Olivera. I went to it once much by accident and had a great time wandering around. The music and entertainment was fun to watch and the food was great. My friend and I picked up some costume pieces for a show we were doing that were perfect and on the cheap side!