TotallyOz

Airline Mergers, Alliances, etc

I am top tier with Northwest but they are being taken over by Delta. On a recent trip to Brazil, I had an extra piece of luggage, they charged me 350 US as I checked in with Delta instead of Northwest. I was fuming. I dread the new rules and I know I will pay dearly in extra luggage and other fees.

I am also Gold with the Star Alliance and will consider them for my next trip to Brazil as they allow 3 free pieces and the 4 is 200.

With all these changes, anyone know what would be the best airline for upgrades, excess baggage to both Brazil and to Thailand? Any suggestions or preferences?

With all these changes, anyone know what would be the best airline for upgrades, excess baggage to both Brazil and to Thailand? Any suggestions or preferences?

I have stayed with American Airlines for the past 12 years. Between work and personal trips to Brazil and Europe I go over their 100,000 mile mark each year which gives you Executive Platinum status, with that you get Unlimited free upgrades on all domestic flights and 8 one way upgrades that can be used on International flights. I use those 8 for my 4 trips to Brazil. I have never not been upgraded yet on the Brazil trips and domestically I would guess that I get upgraded 90 - 95% of the time. The only problem with getting a upgraded is when you are trying to fly to Europe in the May - Sept timeframe, usually very difficult because all the tourists going than.

When you are flying on the Internatonal upgraded ticket you have use of their "Flagship" lounges with are a upgraded version of their Admirals club lounges. Their are either a separate club or a totally separate area of the Admirals club.

As far as baggage, I believe it's is two checked bags for free if you are ExPlat. I have never checked two on any trip so I am not sure of that.