Guest MichaelVincenzo

MLK day of service

Guest MichaelVincenzo

I am curious about how many people followed Barrack Obama's lead by making MLK day a day of service. I thought the idea was fantastic and I hope that it becomes a tradition to restore our country to it's full glory.

My day of service was spent speaking out for the animals in the circus by bringing awareness to the less informed people who attended the Ringling Bros. circus in Orlando. Appropriately, I held a sign with a photo of an African American's foot in shackles alongside a photo of an elephant's foot in chains; the sign included a quote from Martin Luther King that read:

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

For those of you who are not informed, the circus is cruel and outdated. Animals, in circuses and other shows, are the only performers who did not choose to perform and do not get paid to do so. For more information, check out www.circuses.com.

My goal this year is to prevent the circus from returning to my city. Please email your city leaders and request that they create an ordinance banning traveling animal acts. There are many cities throughout the country that have already done this. There are also several countries that have banned circuses (Costa Rica, Austria, Switzerland, and more). I think that says something about how outdated our notion is that we can spectate over some of the most beautiful species on our planet in an environment that is completely foreign to them.

BOYCOTT THE CIRCUS......please!