TotallyOz

Is it possible to elect a black President?

I think that the race issue has been overplayed. Obviously folks are far more concerned about their economic future than they are about race. The economic meltdown of the last few weeks is driving the undecideds in this election almost exclusively.

Although one has to take Ed Rollins with several grains of salt, he knows the game, and had this pretty reasonable-sounding thing to say the other day:

Former Reagan political adviser Ed Rollins likened today's landscape to that in 1980, when voters were angry at President Jimmy Carter and the Democrats and turned to Reagan in droves once they felt comfortable with the idea of him as president.

"Barack has met the threshold," Rollins said. "Once Reagan met the threshold, people wanted to get rid of Carter and they did in a landslide. This is going to turn into a landslide."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/53771.html

• Members
Although one has to take Ed Rollins with several grains of salt, he knows the game, and had this pretty reasonable-sounding thing to say the other day:

Former Reagan political adviser Ed Rollins likened today's landscape to that in 1980, when voters were angry at President Jimmy Carter and the Democrats and turned to Reagan in droves once they felt comfortable with the idea of him as president.

"Barack has met the threshold," Rollins said. "Once Reagan met the threshold, people wanted to get rid of Carter and they did in a landslide. This is going to turn into a landslide."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/53771.html

Actually Rollins is one of the few conservative opearatives for which I have some respect. Sure he's a partisan Republican but he doesnt embarass or shame himself by signing on to ideologue idiocy and cynical spin. He's a political professional without being a cheap political whore, whores being the norm in both parties. Would that we had a few more of his ilk. It might raise the GOP out of the cess pool it has taken up as home.

Actually Rollins is one of the few conservative opearatives for which I have some respect. Sure he's a partisan Republican but he doesnt embarass or shame himself by signing on to ideologue idiocy and cynical spin. He's a political professional without being a cheap political whore, whores being the norm in both parties. Would that we had a few more of his ilk. It might raise the GOP out of the cess pool it has taken up as home.

Agree. He has been saying publicly what others with some sense but less honor, Peggy Noonan etc., will only voice when they think the mike is off.

As for raising the GOP, wonder if we will, irony of ironies, have W. and Cheney to thank for this in the end. The neocons having tested their theories to destruction, will this election finally clear the way for the Hagels, Lugars, etc. to come in from the cold and make the GOP a (comparatively) safe & sane partner in governance?

• Members
I think the answer is yes even though I saw a new poll yesterday that said 70% of all whites plan to vote for McCain.

If that is true then I strongly doubt that Obama could win. This poll seems to run counter to everything else I see. I maybe could believe 70% of all white males. I don't believe much in polls though anyway, only votes.

It seems that the vast majority of polls are all trending in the Obama direction though. And it appears the McCain camp believes them based on their actions of late. I suspect the decks of the Titanic were more seemly as it was going down.

Nevertheless, I respect the ability of the in-the-middle electorate to turn on a dime and it never ceases to amaze me about the ability of politicans to commit the most greviously stupid gaffes. Just look at this last week -- on both sides. Both sides might be better off at this point to just shut up the surrogates and leave it to the primaries to speak for themselves or safer yet sit everyone down and coast to the finish after a final national broadcast by each side to the nation..

We have all had enough and so have they. At this point the campaigners can't even give their own scripts on the stump correctly or wisely. If anyone remains undecided at this time it is just because they refuse to commit. They'll remain that way until they have to choose it or loose it.

KYTOP, at this point what is your gut feel on the fate of Mitch McConnel?

• Members
KYTOP, at this point what is your gut feel on the fate of Mitch McConnel?

Mitch always seems to pull things out. The Democrat running against him is a millonaire former CEO of a healthcare company here that he ran into the ground. But he made out like a bandit with his golden parachute. I had some dealing with him years ago when he ran the company, I think the guy should be in jail. Lesser of 2 evils, McConnell will get my vote.

The white vote is now the minority vote in this country in many areas.

I also saw a poll were 97% of all blacks will vote for Obama.

I personally will be SOOOOO glad when this thing is over. I have even quit watching most of the cable news shows, it wears me out.

• Members
Mitch always seems to pull things out. The Democrat running against him is a millonaire former CEO of a healthcare company here that he ran into the ground. But he made out like a bandit with his golden parachute. I had some dealing with him years ago when he ran the company, I think the guy should be in jail. Lesser of 2 evils, McConnell will get my vote.

Crooks and charletons know no party bounds, not to mention the incompetents, barely competents and demogogues.

I personally will be SOOOOO glad when this thing is over. I have even quit watching most of the cable news shows, it wears me out.

ditto... I have had enough Big League US politics to last me a lifetime. So depressing watching politics bring out the worst in people. :angry: I have forsaken the 24/7 spin cycle on cable too. Give me a good prison documentary re-re-repeat or color test pattern with elevator music. :blink:

• Members
ditto... I have had enough Big League US politics to last me a lifetime. So depressing watching politics bring out the worst in people. :angry: I have forsaken the 24/7 spin cycle on cable too. Give me a good prison documentary re-re-repeat or color test pattern with elevator music. :blink:

I will vote early on election day and then fly to Atlanta for business. Then I plan to spend Election Night in front of the stage at Swinging Richards looking at muscle, cock, and ass. :lol:

• Members

I listened to a coffee clatch meeting on NPR last night(only radio news I listen to)and there was one woman who spoke up and said she was worried that if Barrack Obama won the election the blacks would decide it was "payback time"and get out of control.She recalled a time(with fondness in her voice)that Blacks would step off the sidewalk If a White needed to pass.She was concerned she would be forced off of the street by Blacks if Barrack Obama won.

Now this might seem comical to most of us-but she was dead serious and the concern in her voice was audible.

Just amazing to me that this sort of thinking exist today.But I am somewhat insulated against this sort of blatent race baiting/fear mongering.I was raised with this crap and can see it for what it is-fear of the "other"voiced with the insecurity of losing the Status Quo.

Guest StuCotts

Preface: I fervently want to be wrong.

I just don't think any black can be elected to the presidency at this time. I don't say this because of the potential effects of the high-intensity lying and hatemongering coming from the dregs of humanity on the right, but because I perceive too much garden-variety racism in the populace to allow it to happen.

The polls and pundits say different, but they're routinely wrong.

If my pessimism proves unfounded, I look forward to taking any guff it brings.

Guest StuCotts
Preface: I fervently want to be wrong.

I just don't think any black can be elected to the presidency at this time. I don't say this because of the potential effects of the high-intensity lying and hatemongering coming from the dregs of humanity on the right, but because I perceive too much garden-variety racism in the populace to allow it to happen.

The polls and pundits say different, but they're routinely wrong.

If my pessimism proves unfounded, I look forward to taking any guff it brings.

I was WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG.

Praise be.