TotallyOz

New Macbook laptops to be annonunced on Tuesday

I long thought that Apple charged a premium for little more than brand perception.

Then I was put through upgrading my Dell machine to Vista. That drove me to look again, long and hard, at Apple's offerings.

Which led me to conclude that today, Apple charges a premium for technology that works, works well, and works comparatively effortlessly.

I am typing this on my MacBook Pro. ^_^

• Members
I'll get excited when they become price competitive. Until then I'll keep cursing Windows. :angry:

If you put a value on your time, or moving from :angry: to ^_^ , then the Mac might start looking like a better deal. It often surprises me when folks are willing to spend hours "upgrading" and cursing their Windows system because it's "cheaper" than a Mac.

A friend of mine bought a $700 PC laptop for his parents last Christmas. He also offered to help them set it up, get it connected to the internet, and transfer their software from their old PC to their new PC laptop. I saw him when he was one week into the process, and he was bitching up a storm. He had spent at least ten hours getting almost everything to work, but he was still having trouble getting all their data transferred, and their email still wasn't working. He had spent the morning on hold with tech support, he was on his way to Radio Shack to buy a cable, and he was going to have to spend most of his weekend trying to get everything working. He was not a happy camper. We figured out he had saved almost $400 by not buying them a Mac laptop, but he would gladly have paid $400 to save himself the aggravation he had already gone through, and it wasn't over yet.

Without rubbing it in, I told him what I had gone through when I bought my Mac laptop a couple of years ago. I turned it on, and it asked me a few easy questions, one of which was "Would you like to transfer information from another Apple Macintosh?" After I said yes, it told me to connect the two computers with a firewire cable, and to restart my old computer while holding down the "T" key. That set my old computer up as a target drive. Then my new computer asked me if I wanted to bring over everything from my old computer, or just certain applications and files. I told it "everything", gave it my password, and it told me it would take about an hour. When I came back and restarted my new laptop, it was the spitting image of my old desktop. Everything was there, my desktop wallpaper, my applications, my files, my old emails, my browser bookmarks and cookies, even my passwords. No more to do, and everything worked.

A few months ago, my friend got an iPhone. His next computer will be a Mac.

Me? I can't wait to see the new MacBooks!