TotallyOz

Chrysler gets into electric car race

I know I'm probably dumb, but I don't understand how electric cars are more green than gasoline cars.

Somehow the electricity for the cars has to be made and I assume that oil or natural gas will be involved in the process in some way, shape or form - unless they are powered by nukes - and the idea of millions of people driving around small nukes at 65 miles and hour is terrifying.

Sure, an element of it is posturing by the car makers. But you can see the arguments that (1) centrally generated electric power from fossil fuels is easier to make cleaner (carbon scrubbing, etc.) than individual combustion engines, and (2) some electric power is already generated from non-fossil-burning means, and more will be in future.

Of course, if most of that is from new fission reactors... The new animated TV commercial by nuclear services giant Areva creeps me out. http://energyexperts.areva.com/areva_us.html

Guest lurkerspeaks

Scientists finally figured out what NASCAR stands for:

Non

Athletic

Sport

Centered

Around

Rednecks

I'm terrified of a future filled with people who barely passed their driver's test motoring around at high speeds in cars that are essentially small atomic bombs.

I predict that Nascar alone will turn the deep south into a glowing radiation pit.

Apropos of very little, the Edsel was almost named the Bullet LaVolta. Courtesy of poet Marianne Moore, whom Ford's marketing VP engaged to come up with a name. She also suggested Mongoose Civique and Utopian Turtletop.

But finally the VP had to write her that the powers that be had settled on a name with "gaiety and zest -- the Edsel. You will, I know, share our thrill at this development."