AdamSmith

Giant shapeless phallus

Spoiler alert: This post, like the Gilligan's Island one, is woefully unrelated to current events.

060806_corpseFlower_vmed_7p.vmedium.jpg

Corpse flower looks phallic and stinks

Even though the phallic shape may stir certain thoughts, you wouldn't give this flower to someone with hopes of setting a romantic mood: The bloom of Amorphophallus titanum gives off a stench along the lines of rotting flesh or an outhouse in sweltering heat. The smell repels all but the bravest humans, but attracts pollinators such as flesh-eating beetles and sweat bees. The bloom lasts for less than 72 hours and then the stench dissipates. Amorphophallus titanum, which translates to "giant shapeless phallus," can be found in tropical forests on the Indonesian island of Sumatra and botanic gardens worldwide.

Meanwhile, should you tire of calling that poster you can't stand a "troll," here's a fresh pejorative...

080911-dung-beetle-hmed-1215a.hmedium.jpg

Dung beetle: The name says it all

For dung beetles, of which there are thousands of species, life is a load of crap. Some of the insects roll up feces into big balls to munch on or make a home for their larvae. Others bury the dung where they find it and do with it as they please. And some just dive right into the steamy piles. Scientists credit the dung processors for everything from keeping farm soils fertile to spreading around seeds packaged in the droppings.

Finally, next time those week-old leftovers bring on a bout of projectile diarrhea, consider that it could be worse!

080910-cucumber-hmed-1230a.hmedium.jpg

Sea cucumbers jettison internal organs

Those who piss off some of the more than 1,100 species of sea cucumbers could be in for an unpleasant surprise: They can violently contract and hurl some of their internal organs out of their anus. While the experience could mentally scar the organ-caked victim for a lifetime, the sea cucumber quickly regenerates the jettisoned body parts. As their name suggests, the cucumber-shaped relatives of sea urchins and star fish live on the ocean floor worldwide where they use suction-cup-like feet to crawl around, and use anywhere from eight to 30 tentacles around their mouths to feed. Not all humans are grossed out by the organisms: They're a delicacy in Asia.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26633725/?pg=1...e_MakeYouGoEwww

Guest StuCotts

I don't know whether to insist that you do or hope fervently that you don't review the encounter that induced you to start this particular thread with that particular title.

• Members

Adonis_reborn- the Rentboy ad does not come up anymore- your review is pretty old. But thanks for referring to it as I very much enjoyed the shot of him in the shower with his leg up, his butt crack looking very inviting. Much more inviting than any pic you have posted here that supposedly relates to Adonis' review. I don't get the connection. But I didn't get Gilligan either, so I guess I just like buttcrack- on certain smooth brown guys, that is.

• Members

For Adam Smith:

http://towleroad.typepad.com/photos/uncate...9/19/corpus.jpg

I don't understand this either!

The Times writes of the Corsum Clock, set to be unveiled in Britain today:

"The hour approaches. The beast's jaws gape, its tail quivers and then snap! Another minute has been devoured, and the hour strikes with the ominous clonk of a chain dropping into a coffin. The creature blinks twice in satisfaction. 'It is terrifying, it is meant to be,' said John Taylor, the creator and funder of an extraordinary new clock to be unveiled...by Stephen Hawking at Corpus Christi College in Cambridge. 'Basically I view time as not on your side. He'll eat up every minute of your life, and as soon as one has gone he's salivating for the next. It's not a bad thing to remind students of. I never felt like this until I woke up on my 70th birthday, and was stricken at the thought of how much I still wanted to do, and how little time remained.'"