TotallyOz

Age of Consent around the world

Each state in the USA has different Age of Consent laws. The world has many as well. In Brazil that age is 18 and is strictly enforced. When I was with a friend there recently, we were cruising through the park and he pointed out some guys that were 17 and said that no one will go with them as it is too dangerous even for someone close to their age.

In Thailand, the Age of Consent is 15 BUT, for all practical purposes it is 18. Those 15-18 can have sex legally if there is no money involved but if it is a foreigner involved, it is assumed that money or favors is involved. Therefore, best to stay above the 18 rule.

Spain was the surprising place at 13. Most countries were around the 16 year old range.

http://www.ageofconsent.com

• Members

So weird that if you have sex with Joey* in one place it is legal, but in another you are a pervert and have to register as a sex offender.**

*Joey is a made up name for the purpose of this post. He is 16, except that he is not real.

**Thankfully, I like them well into their 20's

Yes, Americans are bound by both US and International law. Recently, GB also passed similar legislation. I am not sure how many other countries are doing the same.

I do wonder if a California resident whose legal age of consent is 18 goes to say New York where it is 17, which law they must follow? If the USA does this Internationally, how long will it take for them to do it state by state?