TotallyOz

Best Rewards Programs for Hotels, Airlines

• Members

I have Starwood, Hilton, and Marriot status. They all pretty much have the same point requirements for free rooms and upgrades, so I have no particular preference. And they all have very few black out dates...

For airlines... I have Delta, United, and Continental.

It used to be that Delta was the best in terms of how easily you could get an upgrade or a free ticket. I think they are the worst now. They have supersaver and saver awards and the difference is about 30K miles for a round trip between them. I am noticing that even WAAAYYYY ahead of time, you can only get saver awards. I think they are trying to get people to "Pay with Miles" which is a new program where you use miles instead of cash to pay part of your ticket. Unfortunately, as you might guess, the conversion rate is not favorable.

United, which used to be the worst, is now the best, IMO. I am successfully getting upgrades almost whenever I want them, and when I use miles for free tickets, they almost always have available seats when the others dont.

Bottom line... with the financial world the way it is, don't hold on to your miles. I know some people who lost a shitload of miles when various airlines went under.