Guest StuCotts

Lynn Westmoreland

Guest StuCotts

There may be some who haven't heard of this incident. For them it should put to rest any lingering doubts about what the Obamas have to put up with every day from the most subhuman sources. He also champions basing laws on the Ten Commandments, but, being simpleminded, couldn't recite even one of them when asked to by Stephen Colbert.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington...estmorelan.html

I have to admit, I grew up deep in the deep south and I never knew that "uppity" had any negative racial overtones. It was a term used by the less heeled to describe those that they believed thought to highly of themselves. A redneck term used to describe anyone regardless of race, if you will.

That said, the event described in the link, as well as my own ignorance of the fact that it is racially sensitive, illustrates the cultural chasm that exists between black and white America in 2008. I certainly don't deny that black America may have a different view of the term than white America does

I always have a hard time understanding how the pro-Obama element of the blogosphere can be as upset by the comments of some Republican Congressman who doesn't even register on the radar of political significance in America, yet doesn't even blink over comments like the following ones made by the nominee of the Democratic Party to be the Vice president of the United States:

"You cannot go into a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. Oh, I'm not joking."

or

Biden was asked how a "Northeast liberal" could compete against more conservative southern candidates.

"Better than everybody else. You don't know my state. My state was a slave state. My state is a border state. My state is the eighth largest black population in the country. My state is anything from a northeast liberal state," Biden said.

or

The State (Newspaper) reported that Biden referred to Delaware as a "slave state that fought beside the North. That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way."

Could you imagine the field day that the left wing blogosphere would be having if Sarah Palin had made those comments? Or John McCain? The comments of Lynn Westmoreland certainly pale in a comparison insensitivity to those of Biden.

It seems to me that the issue is not one of truly addressing the lack of understanding that exists between black America and white America. It is more just silly political fodder in the height of what has been an already ridiculous campaign season.

Biden is legendary for suffering from foot in mouth disease.

I think the term "uppity" has different connotations depending on where you are from.

In New Jersey I never heard a white person use the term "uppity" but in my high school black students used it as derogatory terms against each other. It was up there with "oreo" as a slang term a white dude would never think of using but that you heard all the time amongst the black students.

I think the problem was that my school has a big socioeconomic mix, which meant that there were both very poor and very wealthy black students and the poorer black students resented the wealthy black students and it caused a rift in that community.

Guest StuCotts
I have to admit, I grew up deep in the deep south and I never knew that "uppity" had any negative racial overtones. It was a term used by the less heeled to describe those that they believed thought to highly of themselves. A redneck term used to describe anyone regardless of race, if you will.

That said, the event described in the link, as well as my own ignorance of the fact that it is racially sensitive, illustrates the cultural chasm that exists between black and white America in 2008. I certainly don't deny that black America may have a different view of the term than white America does

I always have a hard time understanding how the pro-Obama element of the blogosphere can be as upset by the comments of some Republican Congressman who doesn't even register on the radar of political significance in America, yet doesn't even blink over comments like the following ones made by the nominee of the Democratic Party to be the Vice president of the United States:

"You cannot go into a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. Oh, I'm not joking."

or

Biden was asked how a "Northeast liberal" could compete against more conservative southern candidates.

"Better than everybody else. You don't know my state. My state was a slave state. My state is a border state. My state is the eighth largest black population in the country. My state is anything from a northeast liberal state," Biden said.

or

The State (Newspaper) reported that Biden referred to Delaware as a "slave state that fought beside the North. That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way."

Could you imagine the field day that the left wing blogosphere would be having if Sarah Palin had made those comments? Or John McCain? The comments of Lynn Westmoreland certainly pale in a comparison insensitivity to those of Biden.

It seems to me that the issue is not one of truly addressing the lack of understanding that exists between black America and white America. It is more just silly political fodder in the height of what has been an already ridiculous campaign season.

You insist on seeing Wesmoreland's offensiveness as an isolated phenomenon. Non-Reps see it as one manifestation of a pervasive mindset, invisible only to those who don't want to see it.

Is it your point that in her few days on the national scene Palin hasn't yet accumulated as many doubtful statements as Biden in thirty-odd years? Just wait. Her default position of smug self-righteousness is fertile ground for the growth of major offensiveness, which will surely show up before election day. The only questions are how bad it will be and how much lying slime will her spin doctors be willing to fling at the opposition to try to make her look good by comparison.

If there is anything in any part of McCain's campaign that makes even the smallest gesture in the direction of dealing with the lack of understanding you mention, I haven't seen it. You're advised not to hold your breath waiting.

You insist on seeing Wesmoreland's offensiveness as an isolated phenomenon. Non-Reps see it as one manifestation of a pervasive mindset, invisible only to those who don't want to see it.

Is it your point that in her few days on the national scene Palin hasn't yet accumulated as many doubtful statements as Biden in thirty-odd years? Just wait. Her default position of smug self-righteousness is fertile ground for the growth of major offensiveness, which will surely show up before election day. The only questions are how bad it will be and how much lying slime will her spin doctors be willing to fling at the opposition to try to make her look good by comparison.

If there is anything in any part of McCain's campaign that makes even the smallest gesture in the direction of dealing with the lack of understanding you mention, I haven't seen it. You're advised not to hold your breath waiting.

I really wasn't attempting to make any statement regarding Palin or the McCain Campaign. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

What I was trying to illustrate is that a lack of sensitivity that exists in this country today regarding race knows no political bounds. Biden is as insensitive as this Georgia rube that you've brought up as an example of the insensitivity of the GOP. The difference is that the GOP has never nominated Westmoreland to represent it on a national ticket.

Westmoreland, on his best day, is a clueless idiot. On his worst day, he's a typical suburban southern racist.

Biden's no different that Westmoreland in that he, too, is simply a privileged white guy with diarrhea of the mouth. The difference is that Biden represents the party that claims to be a champion of civil rights. That, when coupled with his statements captioned herein, makes one wonder if he just simply isn't a hypocrite.

Guest StuCotts
I really wasn't attempting to make any statement regarding Palin or the McCain Campaign. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

What I was trying to illustrate is that a lack of sensitivity that exists in this country today regarding race knows no political bounds. Biden is as insensitive as this Georgia rube that you've brought up as an example of the insensitivity of the GOP. The difference is that the GOP has never nominated Westmoreland to represent it on a national ticket.

Westmoreland, on his best day, is a clueless idiot. On his worst day, he's a typical suburban southern racist.

Biden's no different that Westmoreland in that he, too, is simply a privileged white guy with diarrhea of the mouth. The difference is that Biden represents the party that claims to be a champion of civil rights. That, when coupled with his statements captioned herein, makes one wonder if he just simply isn't a hypocrite.

I got "that idea" from your mention of McCain and Palin in your second-last paragraph.

Lack of sensitivity is a flaccid euphemism. The situation is one of contempt from the numerous ilk of Westmoreland and resentment on the black side.

I can't imagine what it takes to see no difference between Biden and Westmoreland. I'll assume that what's talking is your Rep loyalty, which obliges you to take some pretty absurd positions.

The Democratic Party is the champion of civil rights. Voting patterns show that blacks are convinced it is. Do you really want to make the case that blacks don't have the sense to know what's good for them?

Westmoreland has never been on a national ticket because by his own admission he's never done anything. The "do-nothingest" in a do-nothing Congress, he put it. His highlights are limited to kissing the auto industry's collective ass, being in on the flop Rep attempt to gut the Voting Rights Act in 2006 and the Ten Commandments embarrassment. Even the party of Dan Quayle feels the need to draw the line somewhere.

The Democratic Party is the champion of civil rights. Voting patterns show that blacks are convinced it is. Do you really want to make the case that blacks don't have the sense to know what's good for them?

Some, with a more pragmatic approach, might turn that statement around and say that the the black vote is the only thing that keeps the Democratic Party as it exists today, a legitimately electable national party. Thus, it seems inconceivable that Black voters would support someone like Biden when he makes such patently ridiculous, racist statements without consideration as to who butters his electoral bread.

It seems to me that the party could find someone who doesn't offend the base of its voting block.

Guest StuCotts
Some, with a more pragmatic approach, might turn that statement around and say that the the black vote is the only thing that keeps the Democratic Party as it exists today, a legitimately electable national party. Thus, it seems inconceivable that Black voters would support someone like Biden when he makes such patently ridiculous, racist statements without consideration as to who butters his electoral bread.

It seems to me that the party could find someone who doesn't offend the base of its voting block.

You shouldn't make a statement ebout what keeps the Democratic Party alive unlees you're prepared to hear about what keeps the yours alive. But I'd be repeating myself.

It's beyond sanctimonious for any Rep to point the finger of accusation at anybody else's perceived racism.

In humility, a word I'm sure you must have heard some time, let's let the voting blocks be the judges of what offends them.

You shouldn't make a statement ebout what keeps the Democratic Party alive unlees you're prepared to hear about what keeps the yours alive. But I'd be repeating myself.

It's beyond sanctimonious for any Rep to point the finger of accusation at anybody else's perceived racism.

In humility, a word I'm sure you must have heard some time, let's let the voting blocks be the judges of what offends them.

Well, I'm a moderate republican who probably grew up with a hell of a lot more exposure to African Americans in my childhood than you've had in your life. The fact that you assume that all Republicans are racist really illustrates that you don't have much experience integrating yourself with a diverse group of people.

Many of my close friends are Democrats. And they're very thoughtful people with whom one can have a very reasoned discussion. They're really fun people to have a deep discussion with regarding any number of subjects.

Honestly, the very fact that you can't have a discussion with someone on issues on which you disagree without reducing the argument to some catty ad hominem attacks really illustrates why you shouldn't even place yourself in those discussions to begin with.

You're really as closed minded with regard to religious conservatives, if not more close minded, than the religious conservatives that you critique are to you.

If you'd ever like to raise your arguments to something other than angry rhetoric, let me know and I'll be happy to debate you on a more intellectual level.