TotallyOz

Thailand's Esculated Violence

The country is in real turmoil. It is a mad house in Bangkok and I am sure that most of you have see the news reports about the death and the protests becoming violent. As I am currently in the country, I can say that I have seen nothing in my little city. But, I am 2 hours from Bangkok and that is the epicenter of the crisis. The gogo bars have still not closed and it is unlikely to have a great effect on things here. So, for those of you still planning on a visit, no better time than the present! ^_^

Stating the obvious... please be careful. Those that care about you want you safe!

Thank you honey. I appreciate that. As I am sure you could have guessed, I am surrounded by 5 Thai bodyguards night and day. Just for this crisis, I have called in another 2 reinforcements. I am not sure how 7 twinks will actually protect me but it sure is fun to sit here with them and wait. ^_^

It is rumored here that the Prime Minister will resign tomorrow and thus perhaps bring the conflict to a halt. Basically, the demonstrators were upset the Prime Minister was elected and they think that the people here are not smart enough to elect the right person and want a 70/30 split with 70 percent of Parliament being appointed (by who I can't figure out) and 30 percent elected. They think this will keep the poor uneducated folks from electing someone the elite of the country does not want elected. There is a saying here called TiT. That is Thailand and it is not to be understood. It just is. ^_^

• Members

Thaksin and his rich cronies got the votes from the poor because they bought them. Democracy comes cheap in Thailand. They then proceeded to plunder the treasury and got kicked out. So they did it again with this other guy as a substitute for Thaksin, who is on the run.

Looks like the Prime Minister is out over here. Not sure what will happen next week when they elect a new Prime Minister. I guess it will be instability as usual. The baht has been on the rise and almost hit 35 this week. Not as high as 45 when I first started to travel here but better than 29 in the not so near past.

Oz, if I can come over to take advantage of the temporary decline of the baht, will you introduce me to all of your Thai friends? That won't esculate the violence, will it?

Absolutely. Would be happy to do so. And I assure you, your name would live up to its meaning every night or if you are really LUCKY 3 or 4 times a night. ^_^ But, hurry, I have 2 weeks left.

• Members

I so badly want to go somewhere fun. I can fly to Rio for $150 more than Bangkok, but about ten hours shorter. The real costs begin when you get there, both in terms of hotel and in terms of fun. I do think I would have a great time with OZ, who truly knows how to have fun.

I so badly want to go somewhere fun. I can fly to Rio for $150 more than Bangkok, but about ten hours shorter. The real costs begin when you get there, both in terms of hotel and in terms of fun. I do think I would have a great time with OZ, who truly knows how to have fun.

The costs for Thailand are MUCH less than in Rio. Hotels, food, entertainment, etc. It is all cheaper in Thailand.

Thai air is offering a Premium Economy only for this month out of LA and I think it will then be discontinued. However, the flights here are very low as it is low season and few are coming with the crisis in Bangkok. The country is in dire need of tourists. The Marriott I love has been at 65 percent occupancy this season. But, that is one of the more expensive places. I see tons of place for less than 20 USD a day and that includes breakfast.

Why are fares to Rio that much? Is it the lack of competition? I have never really quite understood it.

• Members

I've definitely been looking into it, but the airfares go down if you do 7 day advance purchase, so I can't go tomorrow. The Sofitel Silom is offering a King deluxe for $150 a night, loosely converted. The weather will get better after October though...but the boys I need now.

I know I can stay at a a cheaper hotel, (and I have, the Montien and Narai being former regulars) but now I like a little more comfort. If rates are down that much, I'd rather do the Shangri-La.

I notice going to asiahotels.com that a real good deal can be had at the Dream Hotel. Is it really a five-star? The Sofitel is cheaper if I book directly with them.

I've definitely been looking into it, but the airfares go down if you do 7 day advance purchase, so I can't go tomorrow. The Sofitel Silom is offering a King deluxe for $150 a night, loosely converted. The weather will get better after October though...but the boys I need now.

I know I can stay at a a cheaper hotel, (and I have, the Montien and Narai being former regulars) but now I like a little more comfort. If rates are down that much, I'd rather do the Shangri-La.

I notice going to asiahotels.com that a real good deal can be had at the Dream Hotel. Is it really a five-star? The Sofitel is cheaper if I book directly with them.

Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket all have great hotels. Chiang Mai is a bit lacking. But, the hotel PJ's Place, http://pjs-place.com/ is not 5 star but it is the best service I get in the area. The owners are gay and friendly and the place is convenient close to several of the better gogo bars and the saunas and massage parlors. The Internet is there but NOT high high speed but doable. the owners are helpful, friendly and give great advice. I have become friend with them with over 40 nights staying there this year alone.

In Bangkok, I like the Intercontinental and the JW Marriott. But, so many other places now with more reasonable prices and with the lack of tourist dollars, I am sure great deals are to be had. My recent stay at Marriott got me an upgraded suite or free. Hooboy loved the Four Seasons there and I had dinner with him many times and the hotel and the rooms are amazing. I use to get the Shangri-La Bangkok on Priceline cheap. Have not use it in years.

In Phuket, I love the Baan Yan Dee. http://www.baanyindee.com/

In Pattaya, the Marriott is best location in town. Cabbages and Condoms hotel is simply stunning!