Guest StuCotts

Posting to the forums

Guest StuCotts

Ordinarily I'm quick to blame my computer-related difficulties on my own computer naïveté. Not this time.

Why do I have such trouble getting a forum to acknowledge that I'm logged in? I log in, a cute little flag that tells me I'm logged in, but it apparently doesn't tell the forum. When I try to post I'm told there has been an error. I've found that going to the home page then back can help. But now and then, this morning as an example, I have to perform that dance several times before it finally takes.

Any insights?

That's happened to me a couple times - both here and on other websites. I've found that if I clear my cache it stops happening.

On Firefox 3 you can just go to tools and then to "clear private data" and unclick everything except "cache" and then try logging in again.

When that doesn't work I go back in and clear out cookies.

• Members
Why do I have such trouble getting a forum to acknowledge that I'm logged in? I log in, a cute little flag that tells me I'm logged in, but it apparently doesn't tell the forum. When I try to post I'm told there has been an error. I've found that going to the home page then back can help. But now and then, this morning as an example, I have to perform that dance several times before it finally takes.

Same here.

When suggestions were being taken for site improvements, mine was that log-ins be allowed directly from the forums. As far as I can tell, that's still not possible, and the only way to log in is to exit the forums, log in, and then return to the forums.

The one change seems to be that I am now told that I'm logged in while I'm in the forums, even though I'm really not, until I perform the same terpsichorean maneuvers with which you have begun your day. Does keep one nimble though.

CF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gif

Guest StuCotts
Same here.

When suggestions were being taken for site improvements, mine was that log-ins be allowed directly from the forums. As far as I can tell, that's still not possible, and the only way to log in is to exit the forums, log in, and then return to the forums.

The one change seems to be that I am now told that I'm logged in while I'm in the forums, even though I'm really not, until I perform the same terpsichorean maneuvers with which you have begun your day. Does keep one nimble though.

CF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gifCF46618267_109996904033.gif

Don't wanna be nimble. Wanna log in expeditiously.

P.S. I remember your illustration as a ghost of posts past. It must have come from you. What could we have been discussing? The lot of balletomanes (aka basket queens)? Fine points of balletic footwork? How to win friends and influence people by mastering the grand fouetté?

• Members

As mentioned in previous threads, improvements to the site will come in the next software build which is presently underway but unlikely to see the light of day for some months.

As for login glitches... they seem erratic. Usually I can login from the forums but not always. Why? I havent the foggiest. If i have a problem usually login from the Home Page works. Is it a pain when it acts up? Yes it is. That is one reason for the rebuild.

Here is rule of thumb for recovery when something with the browser doesnt work right, whether this site or elsewhere. Try the first and if that doesnt work then go to the next.

1. Clear the cache.

2. Clear the cookies.

3. Restart the browser.

4. Restart the computer.

Problems can arise from site software, browser software, OS software, just using the computer too long without a restart. We won't mention viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, adware, ...

We look forward to a site rebuild that is cleaner, speedier, more user friendly. It will accommodate many of the suggestions made that are compatible with not modifying off-the-shelf software. Thanks for your perserverence.

• Members
Don't wanna be nimble. Wanna log in expeditiously.

P.S. I remember your illustration as a ghost of posts past. It must have come from you. What could we have been discussing? The lot of balletomanes (aka basket queens)? Fine points of balletic footwork? How to win friends and influence people by mastering the grand fouetté?

Your memory serves you well. You first introduced us to the 32 fouettés of Cicero in a thread about last year's membership upgrade, of all things. It was part of an elaborate highjack in English, French, and Latin, as I recall. AdamSmith joined in with quotes from Milton and a picture of a horse pissing into the dirt. I wish I could remember what forum that ended up in. :mellow:

Guest StuCotts

Adam and lookin -- Thanks to both of you for jogging my memory. I took advantage of the link and re-read the whole shootin' match. We did go on a bit, didn't we? I guess we thread hijackers used to think bigger than appears to be the case now.

I grow old, I grow old. No more trouser bottoms rolled.

I guess we thread hijackers used to think bigger than appears to be the case now.

I grow old, I grow old. No more trouser bottoms rolled.

Indeed. So let's inflate the dark corpse one more time. Herewith the most lacerating poetic parody of all time, IMHO...

CHARD WHITLOW

(Mr. Eliot's Sunday Evening Postscript)

As we get older we do not get any younger.

Seasons return, and today I am fifty-five,

And this time last year I was fifty-four,

And this time next year I shall be sixty-two.

And I cannot say I should like (to speak for myself)

To see my time over again— if you can call it time:

Fidgeting uneasily under a draughty stair,

Or counting sleepless nights in the crowded Tube.

There are certain precautions— though none of them very reliable—

Against the blast from bombs and the flying splinter,

But not against the blast from heaven, vento dei venti,

The wind within a wind unable to speak for wind;

And the frigid burnings of purgatory will not be touched

By any emollient.

I think you will find this put,

Better than I could ever hope to express it,

In the words of Kharma: "It is, we believe,

Idle to hope that the simple stirrup-pump

Will extinguish hell."

Oh, listeners,

And you especially who have turned off the wireless,

And sit in Stoke or Basingstoke listening appreciatively to the silence,

(Which is also the silence of hell) pray not for your skins but for your souls.

And pray for me also under the draughty stair.

As we get older we do not get any younger.

And pray for Kharma under the holy mountain.

-- by Henry Reed

And today's special bonus -- Dylan Thomas reading this piece in the voice of T.S. Eliot!

http://www.solearabiantree.net/namingofpar...hardwhitlow.mp3

Guest StuCotts
Indeed. So let's inflate the dark corpse one more time. Herewith the most lacerating poetic parody of all time, IMHO...

Vicious, possibly, but no more so than deserved. And the Dylan Thomas clip is irresistiible.

When it comes to poetry I prefer the subtle words of James Hefield:

Well, I've fucked Queen, I've fucked Bach

I've even sucked an old man's cock

So what, so what

And I've fucked a sheep, I've fucked a goat

I rammed my cock right down its throat

So what, so what

So what, so what, you boring little fuck

And I've drunk that, I've drunk this

I've spewed up on a pint of piss

So what, so what

I've had skag, I've had speed