TotallyOz

I have used Vonage for many years and love it. I also use Skype for calls. Both offer great rates and have good features.

I find Skype cheaper to call Thailand than I do Vonage. I was at a friends house a month or so back and needed to talk to the BF. My Vonage was down so I used his phone to call there. I also paid the bill when it came. The cost from his phone company was 4.99 a minute. I ended up owing over 170 USD. I was shocked.

After that, I have started using Skype more than Vonage and have found I like it very much and the clarity is excellent. They offer a program to call any number in USA or Canada for 29.99 a year. Unlimited access to those numbers and cheap calls overseas make Skype a great choice.

Other than Skype or Vonage, anyone have others they use and like?

Guest namjai

I use skype whenever possible with a friend here as it does not cost anything at all (skype to skype) and here in Las Vegas on Cingular (cell phone service) I have a special international rate of 24 cents per minute.

Guest frodo

For comparison to the previous post, with g3telecom it costs 4 cents a minute to land line in Thailand, and 6 cents a minute to mobile phones., and this is Canadian cents. No contracts to sign.

Guest wowpow

I didn't get on well with Skype. My computer's microphone and speakers are too close and I get feedback. I bought an expensive headset but that doesn't work either - maybe I should read the instructions?

But why when I have 'Jajah' I tell it to make a call on my computer and my phone rings and a voice says "Jajah is connecting you" then I get lovely crystal (as in bar) clear sound and it's free to other Jajah users and cheap elsewhere.

http://www.jajah.com/info/services/

JAJAH Rates*

JAJAH saves you up to 98% on your long distance calls and lets you talk free!*

It is really simple: JAJAH offers global phone calls at local rates. Without a new contract, a new number or a new phone you can call anywhere in just one click. Calls between members are FREE.

To see the rate for your desired destination just select the country below.

Select the country you are calling from:

Please select country United States Germany China Austria Switzerland Israel Italy ------------------------------------------------------ Albania Andorra Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Aruba Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados Belgium Bermuda Bolivia Brazil Brunei Darussalam Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Chile China Colombia Costa Rica Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dominican Republic Ecuador El Salvador Estonia Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Fiji Finland France French Guiana Germany Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guatemala Guinea Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran, Islamic Republic of Ireland Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Korea, North (Democratic People's Republic of) Korea, South (Republic of) Latvia Liechtenstein Luxembourg Madagascar Malaysia Malta Mauritius Mexico Monaco Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Zealand Nicaragua Norway Panama Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Romania Saint Kitts and Nevis San Marino Seychelles Singapore Slovakia Slovenia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Thailand Turkey United Kingdom United States Uruguay Venezuela Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, U.s.

Select the country you want to call:

Please select country United States Germany China Austria Switzerland Israel Italy ------------------------------------------------------ Afghanistan Albania Algeria Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Chad Chile China Colombia Congo Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guinea Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran, Islamic Republic of Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Ivory Coast Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Korea, North (Democratic People's Republic of) Korea, South (Republic of) Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libyan Arab Jamahiriya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia, Federated States of Moldova, Republic of Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Northern Mariana Islands Norway Pakistan Palau Palestinian Authority Panama Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia and Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Tajikistan Tanzania, United Republic of Thailand Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, U.s. Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

JAJAH Rates*

From landline:

4.5 cent

to landline or FREE between Jajah Users.

4.5 cent

to mobile phone or FREE between Jajah Users.

From mobile phone:

4.4 cent

to landline or FREE between Jajah Users.

4.4 cent

to mobile phone or FREE between Jajah Users.

===================================

Expensive calls are to places like Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos

I use I Connect Here (iconnecthere.com). You use a normal telephone. You need broadband. I have to use the mid level of broadband from TOT which costs me 1000 baht per month. With the lower level, at 750 baht, the quality wasn't great. The cost of I Connect Here is $15.99 month for 800 minutes anywhere in North America. You get a new phone number with a local USA area code. You pick the area code.That means people can call you in Thailand at the local rate or domestic long distance, which is often next to nothing. They ship the modem free to Thailand. I think they have phone numbers for other countries besides the USA.

I use I Connect Here (iconnecthere.com). You use a normal telephone. You need broadband. I have to use the mid level of broadband from TOT which costs me 1000 baht per month. With the lower level, at 750 baht, the quality wasn't great. The cost of I Connect Here is $15.99 month for 800 minutes anywhere in North America. You get a new phone number with a local USA area code. You pick the area code.That means people can call you in Thailand at the local rate or domestic long distance, which is often next to nothing. They ship the modem free to Thailand. I think they have phone numbers for other countries besides the USA.

Vonage is the same. You pay a set price for a phone for unlimited calls in USA, Canada and EU. They provide you with a phone modem that is connected to your broadband. You connect a phone to that and you have a USA number. You can add on a fax line, toll free numbers, etc. Calls to overseas is cheap but not as cheap as Skype. You can also add a virtual phone that is only on your computer with another number addition. I have used this for many years and normally am happy with it. It works well as when I travel I hook up a fax machine to my Vonage modem and a phone and I have an office anywhere I travel.

Skype seems to be improving each day. They have many add ons that I like. They have added a wifi phone that works like a cell phone with any wifi connection. I have not looked at iconnectthere.com but will take a look.

It is pretty amazing what one can do with technology these days. I can't wait to try the new Iphone from Apple. ;)

Guest shockdevil

I used SunRocket (www.sunrocket.com) on my last visit to Thailand. It works over a broadband connection. I was able to keep in contact with my colleagues and family back in Puerto Rico and the USA with no extra cost. The service is about $17 a month with an Annual Package. I used it to call to Thailand for about .08 USD. The good thing is that people at home can call you on your domestic USA number and reach you in Thailand (or anywhere else in the world). The better news is that when you call them it appears that you are calling from home so no one needs to know here you are if you don