BiBottomBoy

McCain - Manhunt

Guest Conway
Not sure if anyone saw this item - but it looks like the dude runs Manhunt has donated $2,300 - the maximum allowed by law - to John McCain's campaign.

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/08/mccain-takes-23.html

I'm completely icked out by this.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who have political ideas and influences that evolve outside of the agenda set forth by the so called "gay leadership" in this country.

Obama doesn't support gay marriage according to his own recent public pronouncement. Neither does McCain. Neither would Hillary Clinton during a general election in which she realized what a hot button issue this is for middle America.

I don't hear anyone questioning Obama's credibility over his acceptance of gay campaign money when he doesn't support the cornerstone of the gay agenda as defined by single issue political iissues.

I'm a registered Republican who hasn't given McCain a dime and doesn't intend to give him a dime. My own political ideas and influences are far more complex than the agenda proposed by the exclusive gay rights political agenda or any other single issue group. McCain, as a candidate, simply doesn't appeal to my own philosophies and ideals. That's obviously not the case with Crutchley. I support his right to practice his own beliefs as much as I support your right to practice yours.

We often espouse the concept of diversity among ourselves as gay men and women, yet so many of us are completely unaccepting of diversity in thought in our own community.

Am I "icked out" ? Hardly. I'm always glad to see independent thinkers among our community. Even if I disagree with them.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who have political ideas and influences that evolve outside of the agenda set forth by the so called "gay leadership" in this country.

Obama doesn't support gay marriage according to his own recent public pronouncement. Neither does McCain. Neither would Hillary Clinton during a general election in which she realized what a hot button issue this is for middle America.

I don't hear anyone questioning Obama's credibility over his acceptance of gay campaign money when he doesn't support the cornerstone of the gay agenda as defined by single issue political iissues.

I'm a registered Republican who hasn't given McCain a dime and doesn't intend to give him a dime. My own political ideas and influences are far more complex than the agenda proposed by the exclusive gay rights political agenda or any other single issue group. McCain, as a candidate, simply doesn't appeal to my own philosophies and ideals. That's obviously not the case with Crutchley. I support his right to practice his own beliefs as much as I support your right to practice yours.

We often espouse the concept of diversity among ourselves as gay men and women, yet so many of us are completely unaccepting of diversity in thought in our own community.

Am I "icked out" ? Hardly. I'm always glad to see independent thinkers among our community. Even if I disagree with them.

Well, I'm not a big supporter of either Obama or McCain - I'm a Hillary Boy.

And sure, people have the right to any political beliefs they want. What icks me out in the hypocrisy inherent in the Manhunt dude giving McCain money AND in McCain accepting it.

The republican party - of which McCain will soon be the leader - has put together lots of legislation that would essentially put Manhunt and most adult websites out of business. The only thing that's stopped them is that the Supreme Court keeps striking their legislation down.

I can understand being a gay republican - because of economic issues. What I can't understand is being a gay republican who runs a business that the republican party would like to shut down.

The "ick" factor for me is that if McCain will accept money from the owner of a business his party is against, who won't he take money from.

And if the Manhunt dude will give money to support a party that goes against his own personal best interest I have to wonder what he is thinking. His comments about putting the "gay agenda" on hold are troubling given how he makes his money.

I also had a post here yesterday where I pointed out that Obama doesn't support gay marriage, so I'm really not trying to take sides here.

I just though it was an interesting item to point out.

Guest Conway
Well, I'm not a big supporter of either Obama or McCain - I'm a Hillary Boy.

And sure, people have the right to any political beliefs they want. What icks me out in the hypocrisy inherent in the Manhunt dude giving McCain money AND in McCain accepting it.

The republican party - of which McCain will soon be the leader - has put together lots of legislation that would essentially put Manhunt and most adult websites out of business. The only thing that's stopped them is that the Supreme Court keeps striking their legislation down.

I can understand being a gay republican - because of economic issues. What I can't understand is being a gay republican who runs a business that the republican party would like to shut down.

The "ick" factor for me is that if McCain will accept money from the owner of a business his party is against, who won't he take money from.

And if the Manhunt dude will give money to support a party that goes against his own personal best interest I have to wonder what he is thinking. His comments about putting the "gay agenda" on hold are troubling given how he makes his money.

I also had a post here yesterday where I pointed out that Obama doesn't support gay marriage, so I'm really not trying to take sides here.

I just though it was an interesting item to point out.

I think that the bigger problem is for McCain. In order to win this election, he needs to solidify his support among the religious right and get it out to vote on election day. Aligning himself with folks who run openly gay dating and sex sites is not going to achieve that for him.

To me. the election comes down to two things:

1. How well can Obama organize and deliver the African American vote

and

2. How well can McCain organize and deliver the religious right.

After that is accomplished, then it will become an issue of who wins the rural vote in certain key electoral states such as Iowa, Ohio and Florida.

In my mind, Obama has done a much better job at this point in achieving objective |#1 than McCain has in achieving Objective #2. Obama's approach in achieving objective #1 may well lead to him succeeding with the rural vote, particularly in Florida, where a large population of black voters exist.

I think that the bigger problem is for McCain. In order to win this election, he needs to solidify his support among the religious right and get it out to vote on election day. Aligning himself with folks who run openly gay dating and sex sites is not going to achieve that for him.

To me. the election comes down to two things:

1. How well can Obama organize and deliver the African American vote

and

2. How well can McCain organize and deliver the religious right.

After that is accomplished, then it will become an issue of who wins the rural vote in certain key electoral states such as Iowa, Ohio and Florida.

In my mind, Obama has done a much better job at this point in achieving objective |#1 than McCain has in achieving Objective #2. Obama's approach in achieving objective #1 may well lead to him succeeding with the rural vote, particularly in Florida, where a large population of black voters exist.

The religious right seems to have no interest in McCain. That said, Obama isn't exactly "sealing the deal" yet - with the polls essentially tied as far as I can tell.

I think he's putting a lot of his hopes on the idea that young people and minorities will come out to vote - but both of those groups have spotty voting records.

I'm also worried about what will happen to Obama's base when they realize he isn't really a liberal out to change things, but is actually a centrist democrat with some right wing leanings.

As for McCain, as far as I can tell his entire campaign is "I'm not young. I'm not Bush and I was right about the surge."

I guess that's better than Obama's campaign which seems to be "I'm not old. I'm not Bush. I give a good speech and the ladies think I'm hot."

I guess that's better than Obama's campaign which seems to be "I'm not old. I'm not Bush. I give a good speech and the ladies think I'm hot."

Sadly, I think you are right on this point but it is too late now and not much to be done. Lets hope he makes an intelligent decision at the convention.

Sadly, I think you are right on this point but it is too late now and not much to be done. Lets hope he makes an intelligent decision at the convention.

You never know what could happen. Hillary hasn't given up her delegates. If something really nasty from Obama's past comes up between now and the convention anything could happen.