TotallyOz

New Internet Luxury Tax

Guest Schadenfreude

ThaiVisa has reported on a new tax on the Internet. Interesting what they think foreigners spend time on when they are on the net. ;)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113989

I so much love reading about two-tiered pricing and xenophobic fiats to fuel the ambivalent feelings about living here that I was totally ensnared by this April Fool's Day joke from Thai Visa.

Guest wowpow

Dongle-busters are on sale in Panthip Plaza. These avoid the tax information gathering system by routing your internet connection via an overseas circumlogutor on a scrambled signal similar to the Thai army system. The danger is that the tax collectors may compare the internet service provider member list with those paying tax but this is extremely unlikely to happen within the life of the current coup. These devices are a rather expensive 1000 baht and the designer Apple blue denture version is 5575 baht - discounts currently unavailable and the essential for the cool computer nerd.

IPB Image

The Stepford - a remote dongle-buster cunningly disguised.

I have heard rumours that cheap copies of the fake dongles are being sold by the vendors on Pattaya beach for 150 baht

On the same thread, I loved the response posted by OzMan BKK, which is: "I was so concerned about this new imposition on farang that I rushed straight down to my local 7-11. I asked the young chap behind the counter if I could check out his dongle. We are meeting tonight for drinks."