Guest BKKvisitor

WSJ Reports on Retiring in SE Asia

Guest BKKvisitor

The 31 March edition of the Wall Street Journal features a section on different international destinations retirees find more affordable than their home countries. In an article exclusively about SE Asia locations, Bangkok, KL and Penang along with the Phillippines are mentioned.

The article reports that Thailand issued nearly 1500 retirement visas in 2005, but expects the 2006 figure (not yet available) to increase significantly. Malaysia began issuing retirement visas in 1996 and had issued a total of 8,723 by end of 2006. Malaysia expects to add 3,000-3,500 this year.

The Phillippines reportedly is going after retirees in a big way and has set one million as a target by 2015.

In terms of the world's LEAST affordable cities, New York and London ranked near the top while KL ranked 114th and BKK, 127th.

The article interviewed retirees and one man reported living comfortably on $1500 a month in Penang.

I can't supply a link to the WSJ site because it's only accessible to subscribers. However, here's a link to a similar topic in Asia Property News on 28 March:

http://www.property-report.com/aprarchives...418&date=280307

I would be interested in first-hand reports on readers who have visited Penang.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Penang receives a few unkind comments: http://www.huahinblog.com/2007/03/11/malay...ersus-thailand/

Cheers ...

Having read the blog posting mentioned above, all I can say is that people like that are also born in Penang. And I refuse to try refuting the poster's allegations by proving that what he says is just as prevalent anywhere else in major cities across the world. I WILL NOT run down any other city but I worked in the hotel industry for ten years and met sufficient numbers of that kind of person to give the following examples of their mentality -

"It was such an expensive hotel! We had to pay Baht500 for a carpeted airconditioned room with attached bathroom and they didn't give us complimentary breakfast or welcome drinks! "

"The service was horrible. They didn't clean up our room as soon as we woke up. We had to wait till the maid had finished cleaning another room before she came to wipe up all the food and alcohol we spilled last night."

"It's a horrible place! We went to every Malay rice stall and restaurant on the island but we simply couldn't find a single pork sausage!"

In case anyone still doesn't know (and you can never be sure), Malays are Muslim and it is against their religion to eat pork - a fact other races and followers of other religions respect in my country.

"The people were terrible! Everywhere we went they wanted to now if we were enjoying ourselves, where we came from, if we liked their food and how long we were planning to stay. It's none of their business. I've never met such busybodies anywhere else."

"We came to the tropics for a sunny holiday and what did we find? It was hot all the time and the humidity made us sweat all day and night. Why can't they make their temperature more like spring in my country?"

"We visited the historical parts of the city and there were cockroaches everywhere. Why can't they tear down those horrible old houses and put up some new historical ones?"

""Penang is such a dangerous place. They have tsunamis."

We've had only the one in all recorded history. Our officially recorded history can be said to have started from when Captain Francis Light got here in the 1700s.

And this from many mainland Malaysians - "Penang's such a horribly expensive place. In my village, a plate of rice with two pieces of chicken only costs RM2.50. In Penang a bowl of rice with a separate plate of chicken costs me RM3.50."

Need I say more?

Xian

Guest BKKvisitor

Thanks to Smiles for the link and Xian for observations (I have stood in line at hotel desks while some irritable guests ignore the queue and complain as if they were the only guests in the hotel).. It all contributes to my education on the topic that I continue to explore. At this point, I've pretty much decided not to relocate but sample different locations. Although I've never been to Penang, I have twice visited KL and enjoyed both visits. One big advantage of Malaysia is that English is widely spoken. I had no problem finding different kind of food in KL. The weather is what it is: expect rain in the afternoon and more humidity (unlike my visit to Singapore where it seemed to rain constantly). I found everyone I ran into quite friendly in KL.

The WSJ article also mentioned that a considerable number of a Japanese retirees were settling in Penang to escape the high cost of living back home. To them, the prevalence of English is a disadvantage.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Malaysia began issuing retirement visas in 1996 and had issued a total of 8,723 by end of 2006. Malaysia expects to add 3,000-3,500 this year...The article interviewed retirees and one man reported living comfortably on $1500 a month in Penang...

Sorry I forgot to add that this program is called the Silver-haired Program (or at least it was the last time I saw a newspaper report on it) and if you are not too fussy, you can actually live on a lot less (barring the cost of alcohol). There are actually people who earn a bit less than that and still manage to keep a wife and two children quite happy...not that I'd want to. I have a hard enough time keeping myself gay all day :p

The WSJ article also mentioned that a considerable number of a Japanese retirees were settling in Penang to escape the high cost of living back home. To them, the prevalence of English is a disadvantage.

I don't think the Japanse expatriates in Penang have found the disadvantage too difficult to overcome. There are so many of them now that Bon Odori has been added to the calendar of festivals we celebrate in Penang. And imported foodstuff from Japan is also easily available at most major supermarkets at slightly cheaper prices than back home, too, I have been told (how or why I don't know...I failed Economics in Form 6). Their presence has encouraged many Penangites to learn Japanese, which in turn opened up employment opportunities in the travel industry. It's been a mutually beneficial relationship so far. :)

Incidentally, Batu Ferringhi beach where large numbers of the farang and Japanese expatriates live is also the island's tourist belt. B) Three-bedroomed flats (between 800 - 1,000 sq. feet) go for about RM500 - RM600 per month, not counting utilities. Condo-type or luxury flats go for about three - five times that amount, depending on whether you have a sea view, which floor and what kind of amenities and facilities come with the flat and the area around it. Monthly building maintenance fees go from RM70.00 and up.

Xian

PS

The rate of exchange is usually aboout Baht100 to RM10.00 give or take the odd Baht or two depending on the money market.