AdamSmith

The $795,000 Man

What's a penis worth? $795,000, court rules

Romanian doctor ordered to pay compensation after surgery-gone-wrong

UCHAREST, Romania - A court has ordered a Romanian surgeon to pay $795,000 in compensation to a patient whose penis he accidentally severed during an operation.

In July 2004, Dr. Naum Ciomu made a surgical error while operating on the man's testicles, severing the penis instead of making an incision to the testicle.

The Bucharest Magistrates Court ruled Friday that Ciomu had been "superficial" in his approach to the operation, ordered the fine and handed Ciomu a one-year suspended prison sentence. The ruling can be appealed.

A piece of muscle from the man's arm has now been attached to where his penis was, but its function is aesthetic.

"You don't have to be an expert to realize that the 33-year-old victim does not have a good state of mind," said Mihai Olariu, the victim's lawyer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25526847/

• Members

Woefully undervalued IMO. They don't give the age of the aggrieved but as in domestic partnerships, the loss of companionship, physical and emotional, over the lifetime should be considered. :o That or an eye for an eye and then $795K to boot. :o

The butcher got off cheap if you consider the eye for an eye option.

Guest StuCotts

This story reminded me of the Bobbitt case of a few years back. I found a Wikipedia entry for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Bobbitt

The important difference is that the Bobbitt bit was hacked off, driven around for a while and thrown into a field to lie for I don't know how long, yet surgeons successfully reattached it and returned it to usability. In Romania, once it was off no attempt was made to salvage the situation. I guess if fortune frowns and you're de-cocked, the place not to be is Romania.

• Members
In Romania, once it was off no attempt was made to salvage the situation. I guess if fortune frowns and you're de-cocked, the place not to be is Romania.

True, but for all we know there's a Romanian surgeon swaggering around Bucharest with a smile on his face and a gypsy hooker on each arm. :mellow: