Guest BKKvisitor

Sad Goodbye to Suan Lum Night Bazaar

Guest BKKvisitor

Ah, just what Bangkok needs: another mall, more office space and a new hotel!

--------------------------------

ON TUESDAY night, a dozen expatriates gathered at a beer garden in Suan Lum Night Bazaar to mourn the uncertain death of a Bangkok institution.

The tears were for fear the popular Suan Lum Night Bazaar located in the heart of the Thai capital would be bulldozed to make way for a high-rise commercial complex consisting of a shopping mall, offices and hotel.

According to the organiser of the gathering, Nima Chandler, a 30-something American who manages the well-known Nancy Chandler

Guest xiandarkthorne

Ah, just what Bangkok needs: another mall, more office space and a new hotel!

--------------------------------

ON TUESDAY night, a dozen expatriates gathered at a beer garden in Suan Lum Night Bazaar to mourn the uncertain death of a Bangkok institution.

The tears were for fear the popular Suan Lum Night Bazaar located in the heart of the Thai capital would be bulldozed to make way for a high-rise commercial complex consisting of a shopping mall, offices and hotel.

According to the organiser of the gathering, Nima Chandler, a 30-something American who manages the well-known Nancy Chandler

Guest BKKvisitor

It is sad. I've seen the same thing happen to many US cities (San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and New York come immediately to mind). I'm not denying that progress has brought much economic prosperity with it, but the uniqueness of major international cities everywhere is fading. Walk into an upscale mall in any city now anywhere on the globe and it no longer matters where you are: most, if not all, of the stores are the same.

We have to look harder and harder for those traces of originality (and funky) that attracted us in the first place.

Guest wowpow

How long has Suan Lum been there - maybe 6 years. It was army barracks before and then offices. I didn't care for the place much. The long rows of identical concrete little shops selling the same stuff as everywhere else. It was a civic idea of a market and has none of the vibrancy and excitement of Patpong or Chatuchak.

However the Ferris wheel is decorative if little used and the beer gardens and open restaurants have been highly recommended.

More offices, hotel and shopping malls seem unexciting.

Guest pete1969

I love the huge open air food court in this market. Frankly, I also tend to like the market itself better than Patpong or Chatuchak. It seemed more colorful and easier to navigate. One of my favorite early evening spots in BKK.

Pete