PattayaMale

What items would you ship to Thailand?

Based on the "what items do you miss most...", Gaybutton mentioned a bread machine, since it might be hard to find in Thailand. Some big items in Thailand also seem to be more expensive. Like a good BBQ Grill.

When you retire, a person can take in a shipment of personal household stuff with no or low tarriff (cars, motorbikes excluded). I am shipping my stuff to Thailand in April and am wondering if anyone that lives there now, wishes they would have bought and shipped something.

Actually, good gas grills are available in Thailand at reasonable prices. There's a shop on Tepprasit Road that sells excellent ones. While it is true that you are allowed to ship in belongings if you are moving here, the cost of shipping can be prohibitive and you are probably better off having a yard sale at home and replacing those items once you're in Thailand.

In my case, I knew I was going to retire here years before I was able to finally retire. I brought items with me and began storing them here over several trips, thus avoiding shipping costs. As a matter of fact, I'm storing some boxes of items in my house even now for a couple of my friends, one of whom is within a year of being able to retire here.

About three months before I retired, I loaded up a couple of boxes and mailed them to myself at my Thai address. These were items I wanted, but could live without if they arrived damaged or never made it at all. About a month after I retired the boxes did finally arrive, with no damage at all, and no tariffs were asked.

If I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing. The kinds of items I shipped and/or brought with me were limited to personal items that I knew were irreplaceable and items that I could pack up and bring with me on my final trip over. I had done a lot of shopping in Thailand beforehand to see what could be found here and what could not. Nearly everything I wanted was readily available in Thailand, so for me I was quite satisfied limiting myself to personal items. To this very day I can't think of anything, other than the bread machine, that I wish I had brought with me. And now, I know I can get a bread machine right here in Thailand.

Actually the shipping is fairly reasonable from Los Angeles. To ship a container (20'x8'x8') from Los Angeles is only $1100. For me it is pretty good cost savings because if I had to replace the furniture I am bringing (my Bedroom set is $6000, 2 lazy-boy leather chairs $2800, Dinning room set $5000, Weber BBQ $1100, art work...etc), I think I would have to pay much more than $1100 for the quality of what I have. Even with what I am packing I only have a little more than a half of the container filled.

Since the electric is different voltage and cycles in Thailand I am selling all my electric appliances. I did buy a 220v 50cycle garbage disposal since when I was getting bids to redo the kitchen of the house I bought, they wanted $400 and it can be bought online in USA for $90. And I bought a 220v 50cycle bread making machine for $96. The one I saw in Bangkok at Central was almost $200 and had less features. My desktop Vaio computer operates on both 110v and 220v (there is a switch in the back) same with the LCD monitor, so I am sending that. I earlier took my laptops and left them.

Small stuff like dishes, pots pans, will be given away...I did buy some 500 thread count sheets (on sale) since I could not find those at a reasonable price in Thailand, but I am sure they exist.

By the way, Siemens AG, has a once a year sale in Bangkok. It is a bit of a hassle since they put all the items they need to move to make way for the next year models in one large outside area. Then several hundred customers line up behind barriers until they open the area. Then people run at the same time to claim what they want. Since it is a deep discounted sale, people seem to loose control. (I had to knock down 2 elderly ladies to get the washing machine I wanted :D ). A 42,000 baht price reduced to 10,000 baht.

So maybe others have found some things harder to find or much more expensive in Thailand and can give me a heads up. Thanks

Thanks for the advice about voltage converters which do step up or down say 220v to 110v. The problem is that the don't seem to change the cycles from 60 USA) to 50 (Thailand). It may not be a real problem for small things like a small blender but for things like Refrigerators or convection ovens and clothes dryers it can be I have been told. At least that is what Kitchen Aid and Frigidaire told me.

The Siemens AG sale happens towards the end of November or first of December. I found out about it by an ad in the Bangkok Post. The sale is done over a two period (Saturday, Sunday). All of the products from washer, dryers, refridgerators, coffee makes, toasters, air extractors, are discounted deeply. This is not used or damaged products just not the current model year. We arrived at about 10am in Bangkok at the Siemens AG headquarters. After we parked, we took the elevators to the ground floor and to a large plaza area where they had over100 items all grouped by products under these large tents. They had roped barricades surrounding the entire area.

When we arrived, they had just closed the first sale. They loaded things on to trucks that had all ready been purchased on the first round or wheeled them aside and brought in more items. This took about 3 hours. During that time we had to wait outside the roped area. On each item there was a sale receipt. The idea is that when they open for each round, people run to whatever they want to buy and the first one there puts there name on the sale receipt and tears off a copy which has a unique number and the price on it to another tent where you pay for it.

My friend and I split up and knew that we could probably each get to one item. I got to the washing machine and he got to the oven air extractor. We then met at the cashier. At the cashier there are hundreds of people waiting to pay, cash or credit card. Before getting to the actual cashier they give you a number so they call you up by number. This took another 3 hours. But the savings for us was well worth the wait.

After you pay, you can go to another tent and arrange for delivery. Delivery takes 2 or 3 days from Bangkok to Pattaya and cost 500 baht total. When the delivery arrives you check the items purchased and sign that they aren't damaged and that you received it. The warranty period is the same as at the store.

The other interesting thing is that as you are waiting to pay, they auction off items that people tried to buy but whose credit card was not accepted. We bought a 4500 (regular price) toaster for 800 baht.

You must have a sense of humor to get through the day!

Guest luvthai

I would ship nothing. That 1100 dollars would go a long way in buying new furniture and you won't have the hassel of shippin or having it delivered. And what happens if you find things are not working out as you had planned and decide to move back ? Are you going to again ship things back home? I have had several long term rentals there and if one looks hard enough almost everything can be found or ordered for you. If you really love your furniture put it in storage as you try out your new life style and after your sure things are going well then have it shipped over but furniture is such a reasonabel price there. The one thing I had trouble finding was correct size bedding. There king size is about like our queen size but there again by looking a long time I found a store that has thai size king and also farang size king. But what ever you do have a safe and happy time in thailand.

Guest painai

If you ship something, don't forget the customs duty tax which can be very steep. For more on this topic, I would check out ThaiVisa.com

Guest buaseng

If you ship something, don't forget the customs duty tax which can be very steep. For more on this topic, I would check out ThaiVisa.com

Not strictly on topic I know but in case anyone has similar ideas of shipping goods out of Thailand and especially to UK, I shipped a beautiful hand-made carved teak writing desk from Thailand to UK. The customs duty levied was more than the original cost of the item (including the shipping costs).

The duty amounted to over 800 pounds sterling - quite a shock to the system !

I know that if you are moving to Thailand you are allowed to bring in belongings and the duty is waived. What I don't know is what kind of documentation is necessary, whether there is a limit to the amount you can bring, or whether there are limitations on the kinds of items that are exempt.

Perhaps someone who has already done this can post about what his experience was.

Guest wowpow

I thonk that for most of us get 6 months after obtaining a "retirement" visa to import goods duty and tax free.

Thai Customs

Requirements for Duty Free Allowance

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

Requirements for Changing of Residence

One of the problems of buying everything new in Thailand is that many of the condos and houses that foreigners decorate are done either in a vague Thai style or a sort of hotel international style. They often finish up looking like hotel suites. Nothing is wrong with that it just tends to the bland.

I miss the bits of old furniture, pictures and bric a brac because every one has a small or large memory attached.

There are fine antique shops and other sources of imported furniture. It doesn't necessarily have to be hotel suite style if you shop around and have the money to pay for what you want.

Many good points were raised about moving thigs to Thailand.

I am using a company that a friend of mine used when he shipped his furniture. The name is Siam International. They have offices in Bangkok and Los Angeles. They take care of all the paperwork and custom release. I do have to supply my passport and visa, etc.

I also appreciate the concern about me wanting to return to Los Angeles if I don't like Thailand. I have been visiting for 5 months for 8 years now so feel pretty good about my decision. But if something happens and I do return, I would refurnish in Los Angeles. I would not ship my stuff back from Thailand. But the advice is well taken and I agree people should carefully consider furniture storage if not sure.

Thanks Wowpow for the posting of the requirements.

Insurance on imported items.

You are likely to find it difficult to insure your imported goods once they are here.

Both Thai and International Insurers operating here will not insure art and sculptures etc.

When making a claim for furniture, white gods etc. the original receipts need to be provided and these have to be in Thai baht.

So whatever you do bring in will be uninsurable against thft and boy-friend damage.

On the up-side Thais usually only steal gold and money and other easily disposable items not furniture and works of art.