Guest StuCotts

Europe

Guest StuCotts

Because of a commitment I can get out of only at the cost of disgracing myself, I'll be in Europe next month. The dollar is plunging determinedly toward the status of scrap paper. Euro prices on the most basic necessities are skyrocketing. I'll be spending like a prince to live like a pauper. So much for the glamor of travel. On the up side, a spot of starvation could do a lot to restore my imperially slim silhouette of yore, or so I can hope.

I assume that other travel destinations will reap the benefit of Europe's disadvantage. More power to them.

Guest charlemagne

It all depends, StuCotts, on which part of the "old world" you are coming to visit. Being a native of the UK, most other European destinations offer cheaper goods and services to my homeland! Whilst Eastern Europe is no longer the "incredible bargain" it used to be, everything is a whole lot cheaper over that side. If you are heading to one of the big cities in Western Europe though you will be scanning alot menus until you find good comparative value with the US.

The upside, for me at least, is that the US is a really attractive proposition - hence my visit at the end of the week and I am already planning another trip for later in the year.

Guest StuCotts
It all depends, StuCotts, on which part of the "old world" you are coming to visit. Being a native of the UK, most other European destinations offer cheaper goods and services to my homeland! Whilst Eastern Europe is no longer the "incredible bargain" it used to be, everything is a whole lot cheaper over that side. If you are heading to one of the big cities in Western Europe though you will be scanning alot menus until you find good comparative value with the US.

The upside, for me at least, is that the US is a really attractive proposition - hence my visit at the end of the week and I am already planning another trip for later in the year.

I'll be in Italy and France. If anything I see on the RAI and France 2 news about rises in the cost of living in those two countries is true, and if ex.com is telling the truth about the dollar's continuing collapse, there is no way the cost of my trip is going to be anything but exorbitant. I could hunt around on the internet, but I doubt I could do a lot better than I'm doing. I'd have to live in a cardboard box under a bridge to make a big difference. In my declining years, I'm less and less willing to put up with grubbiness for the sake of economy.

You, on the other hand, will have to beat your way through the crowds of tourists coming here from all over the world to lay waste our shops stocked with cheap (to you) goods.

• Members

As a frequent traveler to Italy, I've learned to live fairly cheaply but well. I usually make my base in Tuscany at a nice farmhouse/villa not far from Siena and Cortona. Because the apartment I rent has a nice kitchen, I shop at the coop in the village, which has a nicer selection of food and wine than Gelson's out here in the LA area. I usually travel with my sister or friends, so we hang out by the pool and then have a protracted cocktail hour followed by a nice homemade dinner.

I usually use travel points to pay for a decent car while I'm there, although I use the bus and train lines to go to Florence or Rome to avoid the horrific traffic.

Avoid Milan, Venice and Rome for overnights since the costs are prohibitive. If you must stay in Rome, consider renting an apartment for a few nights. Two years ago I rented a great top floor studio with a rooftop sundeck (9th floor) in Trastevere for EU80 a night. I just ate Caprese Salads and drank vin ordinaire at the local trattoria for dinner. I had a great time and lost 7 lbs. off my already lean body in a week walking miles a day. I always lose weight when I travel. I attribute it to walking and the organic nature of the food. I never see obese people over there.

It's been a while since I've been in France, but I've always found that country hideously expensive, despite its beauty and charm.

You might slip over to Slovenija or Croatia while you're in Italy. The Adriatic Coast is stunning and about 25% less than the Euro zone. You can still find some deals online and the boys in those Slavic countries are stunning.

Guest StuCotts
As a frequent traveler to Italy, I've learned to live fairly cheaply but well. I usually make my base in Tuscany at a nice farmhouse/villa not far from Siena and Cortona. Because the apartment I rent has a nice kitchen, I shop at the coop in the village, which has a nicer selection of food and wine than Gelson's out here in the LA area. I usually travel with my sister or friends, so we hang out by the pool and then have a protracted cocktail hour followed by a nice homemade dinner.

I usually use travel points to pay for a decent car while I'm there, although I use the bus and train lines to go to Florence or Rome to avoid the horrific traffic.

Avoid Milan, Venice and Rome for overnights since the costs are prohibitive. If you must stay in Rome, consider renting an apartment for a few nights. Two years ago I rented a great top floor studio with a rooftop sundeck (9th floor) in Trastevere for EU80 a night. I just ate Caprese Salads and drank vin ordinaire at the local trattoria for dinner. I had a great time and lost 7 lbs. off my already lean body in a week walking miles a day. I always lose weight when I travel. I attribute it to walking and the organic nature of the food. I never see obese people over there.

It's been a while since I've been in France, but I've always found that country hideously expensive, despite its beauty and charm.

You might slip over to Slovenija or Croatia while you're in Italy. The Adriatic Coast is stunning and about 25% less than the Euro zone. You can still find some deals online and the boys in those Slavic countries are stunning.

I agree with everything you say. But no matter how much I economize during my stay, the exchange rate as it is now has me by the throat. Secondly, because of my commitment, Rome and Milan are necessary parts of the itinerary, and I'm pretty much limited to staying in central locations. That leaves out Trastevere, my favorite part of Rome, bar none, from all time. I'll at least make a point of eating there.

I'll be in Milan during the Fiera di Milano, which means every place I want to go to or eat in will be not only expensive but jammed. My one consolation is that I'll be taking someone to see the Last Supper. When I saw it last it was new. I do want to see it in its restored condition.

I'm not trying to sound as if this trip will be anything but joyous, just that I won't be free to do my own thing untrammeled as if I were traveling alone, and I'll be irritated every time I think of the exchange rate.

P.S. Next time you go to Italy and want to wander off the beaten track, try Piemonte, particularly the Langhe and the Roero. There are remarkably few tourists there, and almost no Americans, most of whom don't know it's there. It's beautiful, leisurely and blessed with unearthly regional cuisine. There are more reasonably priced Agriturismo places to stay in than you can count.

Enough travelogue! Thanks for taking the trouble of posting your pointers.

Guest epigonos

Since you are going to be in Milan I will offer my two cents worth. Most people I know who have spent any time in Milan hate the place. I, on the other hand, loved it. I stayed at a little three star hotel called the Rovello (www.hotel-rovello.it) and really enjoyed the place. It is kind of funky and is located on part of one floor and all of another floor in a multiple use building. Some rooms tend to be dark but the lighting is great and damn the bed was comfortable. To be honest the continental breakfast was awful – instant bad coffee, HARD roll, and watery orange juice. This wasn’t a problem as there are some great coffee bars in the neighborhood. Also about a block away are numerous wine bars that, in the late afternoon, offer whole tables of hors d’oeuvres and light entrees fee to accompany your glass of wine. It is great way to eat on the cheap. Now the best part of all is that the hotel is an easy walk to the Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala. If you have and questions private me and we can discuss them

Guest StuCotts
Since you are going to be in Milan I will offer my two cents worth. Most people I know who have spent any time in Milan hate the place. I, on the other hand, loved it. I stayed at a little three star hotel called the Rovello (www.hotel-rovello.it) and really enjoyed the place. It is kind of funky and is located on part of one floor and all of another floor in a multiple use building. Some rooms tend to be dark but the lighting is great and damn the bed was comfortable. To be honest the continental breakfast was awful – instant bad coffee, HARD roll, and watery orange juice. This wasn’t a problem as there are some great coffee bars in the neighborhood. Also about a block away are numerous wine bars that, in the late afternoon, offer whole tables of hors d’oeuvres and light entrees fee to accompany your glass of wine. It is great way to eat on the cheap. Now the best part of all is that the hotel is an easy walk to the Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala. If you have and questions private me and we can discuss them

I'm glad you agree with me about Milan. I've always loved it, and wondered why more people don't. I've never stayed there for more than a few days at a time, but I always find interesting things to do. Some of them are in my reviews. But even on a best-behavior, lubricity-free visit like this one is going to be, where I'll function mainly as a tour guide for someone who has never seen the city, I know I'll have a good time.

As for your tips, for which thank you, I've already made my hotel arrangements. It's an unheard-of long time in advance, but because of the Fiera I had no choice. Some day we'll trade hotel stories. My favorites are the Canova, 3 stars, and the Atlantic, 4 stars, both in Via Torriani within shouting distance of Stazione Centrale. The Canova has the fewer stars but the better breakfast IMO. I'm captivated by the choice of orange juices it offers, regular and blood. I'll quit before I dampen my keyboard with tears of nostalgia.

Thanks again for the tips.