Guest pete1969

BF Finishes 1st Semester at Uni

Guest pete1969

Well, my BF finished his first semester of his MBA program at Mae Fah Laung University in Chiang Rai. He ranked fifth out of seventy people in his class, so he is doing well. He told me it was much harder than he thought it would be and that he had to study and work very hard. The program is an English language program and all the course work is done in English. I can't imagine doing any Master's program in a second language. I am happy for him.

In his undergrad work, he was mostly a C student, so his high placement in his MBA class was a big acheivement for him and made him very happy. He told me his C average during his undergrad days was due to him having to work in the bars during most of his last two years of his undergrad program. However, this last semester, he opened and managed a fairly successful flower shop and helped his mother open a restaurant (they just moved into a bigger building for the third time), so it wasn't that he was only studying and going to school this term. He tells me there is a huge difference in working late nights in a go-go bar and going to school on weekdays as opposed to operating a daytime business and going to school on the weekends (as his MBA program is a weekend program for working professionals). Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I know a few people on these boards are interested in the assorted goings on of Thai BFs, so I thought I would share the successful start of my BFs MBA studies for anyone interested.

Pete

Guest BKKvisitor

It's good to read successful accounts of farang-financed education of their Thai bf. It seems to me that there is nothing more beneficial you can do for a guy (who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity) than to offer him a better education. It can truly be a life-altering gift.

Although I will always be cautious when approached by guys with tales of family woes, I would be more inclined to support his education if I was persuaded that he was serious. If a guy wants a new cellphone, he's not going to get me to buy it but if he actually wants to advance his education so he can support himself (and help his family) then I'm open to discussing it.

Pete, I hope that your bf continues to thrive as he pursues his MBA.

I thought I would share the successful start of my BFs MBA studies for anyone interested.

I'm interested and I'll bet many others are interested too. My boyfriend has also been quite successful with his education, so I know how you feel. It also illustrates that despite the number of people who post about how all Thai boys are the same, prostitutes interested in nothing but money and milking "farang" for all they can get, that simply is not true and is not the case. It is just plain wrong to stereotype these boys. While many do fit right in to the negative category, there are also many who are genuinely interested in bettering themselves, making a meaningful life, and are willing to put in the work that it takes to achieve it. All they need is someone willing to help them do it. The difficulty is in finding the right boys. That's difficult to do when so many "farang" think with their crotch rather then their heads, but obviously the right boys are out there.

Congrats to him.

Pete, is that the new college/campus that's up there? If it is, the place looked pretty nice (it looked like a lot of new construction recently built - I've driven by the entrance but never went in to take a look).

Congrats Pete and Well done to your bf. Mine went though to his last semester (also MBA taught in English - 'cos it carried more kudos) before he dropped out.

Whilst it's true that everyone passes, it's the degree to which one passes that counts. If their marks aren't respectable they loose face, and to avoid that they drop out. My (ex) bf's difficulties arose because he found it harder and harder to comprehend the English tuition as the months went on.

Why did he not drop out sooner? Three reasons I think. (1) Would have lost face too much after so short a period of tuition, (2) Enjoyed the kudos from telling friends he was studying for his MBA business studies in English, and the new walk of life/circle of fellow students that it brought him into contact with; (3) ever hopeful he might pass with acceptable score, and oh, did I mention the University trip to Beijing!

I'm very pleased Pete that your bf is close to the top of the tree, and you can be justly proud. But encourage him to keep at it, so as he maintains that high stature. Keep the pressure on so he doesn't loose any ground term by term. If he thinks he is failing, the incentives to 'give up' and save face are easier than the alternatives of knuckling down.

That said, it's a real achievement, and I'm happy for you.