TotallyOz

Atonement

• Members
This is a movie you must see. Riveting from beginning to end. Great direction, great acting, great cinematography, great everything. I sat that in awe for 2 hours. Please see this movie if you have a chance.

I loved this movie. Beautifully shot and acted. I especially liked the clever and poignant ending (not to mention James McAvoy sp?). I've also been enjoying the Jane Austin series on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday nights....watching Northanger Abby right now.

Go see Atonement. Worth the price of admission.

I'm sorry, but I'm on the other end of this opinion. I was bored during this movie. It reminded me of the English Patient which in my opinion was the most overrated movie of that time.

I just felt this movie was manipulative for the awards season but wasn't really that good. It traps you into thinking it is an award deserving movie when in fact it really isn't.

Just my opinion. We are calling it "Acrapment". . .

Guest epigonos

I cannot remember the last time I HATED a film as much as I HATED Atonement. In the first place the title is absurd. My dictionary defines atonement as reparation for an offense or injury. The film would more accurately have been entitled Excuses. The ten year old girl, who by that age should have some sense of right and wrong didnt. The young woman was equally clueless. Then the old bitch waited to reveal the truth until all those involved in the incident were dead and her career could not longer be damaged by the truth. Yeah lets hear it for atonement.

I also found some of the scenes absolutely endless and boring in the extreme. Just what was the purpose of having the three guys wandering endlessly through the Belgium countryside on their way to the beaches of Dunkirk? Then I kept waiting to for something to happen during their wanderings on the Dunkirk beach.

Generally I love British films. The cinematography in British films is usually wonderful. In this film I found it simply overblown and pretentious.

Ok you say but wasnt the acting wonderful. I hated the story so much I didnt really get to the point of being able to evaluate the acting. I found the characters one dimensional and basically uninteresting and therefore lost interest in the acting.

"Atonement" and all of the other films nominated this year for the Academy Award for Best Picture, with the exception of "Jove", are all the type of artsy, fartsy films that Hollywood insiders love and the general public hates. These "HOLLYWOOD INSIDER INTELLECTUALS" see great meaning and relevence in these dull, boring, and depressing sagas. I don't which I guess just make me an ignorant peasant.