TotallyOz

Would you turn your Homosexuality Off?

What if you could take a drug that would quickly alter your sexual orientation from straight to gay, or vice versa?

To their surprise, neurobiologists have discovered that homosexuality can be turned on or off in fruit flies. They’d known that sexual orientation can be genetically programmed, but they didn’t realize it could also be altered by giving a drug that changes the way the flies’ sensory circuits react to pheromones.

Within hours of the treatment, previously heterosexual male fruit flies would be courting other males, and treatment could also cause flies who had been engaging in homosexual behavior to become exclusively heterosexual, the neurobiologists report in Nature Neuroscience. You can read a summary of it here from the University of Illinois at Chicago, the home of one of the researchers, David Firestone.

“It was amazing,” Dr. Firestone said. “I never thought we’d be able to do that sort of thing, because sexual orientation is supposed to be hard-wired. This fundamentally changes how we think about this behavior.”

I asked Dr. Firestone if it might be possible one day to quickly alter humans’ sexual orientation. Here’s his answer:

Although I am not sure my research is a big step in this direction, I think that ultimately the answer will be: Yes. After all, the goal of neuroscience is a complete understanding of brain function. Understanding in science is typically demonstrated by the ability to control a process.

See the full article:

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...nyt&emc=rss

As for me, I would not for one second give up, turn off or do away with my gayness. However, I don't know that I would have come to that same conclusion when I was in high school and being teased for being a sissy.

• Members

I don't think I'd change my sexuality either. Although often times it was hard at school growing up as more or less the only queer kid I wouldn't change a nanosecond of it. Although my life doesn't 100% revolve around me being gay there are somethings that I have had to face in life for being gay and I think has made me a better person because I was able to over come those situations and look at life in a different life then some do.

Not a chance here. It took me years to come to terms with who I am and learn to love myself for who I am. I find so much joy in my life and the people around me everyday now, whereas before, I always felt like the victim of some cruel conspiracy to out me.

If anything, I would have taken a reality pill at a much earlier time in life and announced to myself and everyone around me that I'm gay.

LOL, I wonder whether the question should be :

- Would you turn your Homosexuality Off?

Or if it should be :

- Would most straight men turn their Homosexuality On?

If I hear from bisexual men that women can think so differently than men, if I hear that men in general want more sex than women, if I hear that quite some men like to have sex with different partners while most women rather stick to one partner, then LOL ...

... I would say that most straight men have a good reason to give gay sex a try. :D

Warmest, Anton/Amsterdam.

ps: I'm travelling in the US in January 2008. For those who like to know more, click the link on the very first page of my website.

mobile : +31 6 2523 1001

reviews : http://www.antonamsterdam.com/reviews.html

Guest EurythmicThrust

Hmmm...wasn't it the Firestone brand tires that were having blowout problems a few years ago?

And of course i ALWAYS base any of my life-altering decisions on the whims of a bunch of cooped up, frustrated fruitflies! ;)

Just WHO funded this "study"? <_<

Of course i would be saving a bundle of cash if i "turned off" my homo-ness, I just wouldn't get any sex...except when on Spring Break in Cancun, with my Girls Gone Wild-er camera crew! :o

I wouldn't want to turn my homosexuality off, but there are some guys I know who I would love to slip this to if it would turn their homosexuality on.

So many, many of the guys I like are stuck with women - even when they are being treated like shit.

I feel like "I could suck your cock and treat you nice if you weren't addicted to pussy!"

It's very fucking frustrating.

Guest mineallmine

No changing my sexuality is the last thing I would want to do. However if I could change a few straight guys, now that idea has merit. I tend to think that for people who have not come to accept their sexuality this would seem like such a promising thing for them.

I however do have to question, would they regret it later. Just because we CAN alter something does not always mean that we should.

No changing my sexuality is the last thing I would want to do. However if I could change a few straight guys, now that idea has merit. I tend to think that for people who have not come to accept their sexuality this would seem like such a promising thing for them.

I however do have to question, would they regret it later. Just because we CAN alter something does not always mean that we should.

The guys I'm thinking about I'd be willing to blow so often that they wouldn't have time to regret anything - except the time they wasted with pussy.

;)