Guest StevenDraker

AIDS/LifeRide 2008

Guest StevenDraker

First of all I need to thank TotallyOz for the excellent diary that convinced me to join next year's LifeCycle. I'll be doing the Ride with a close friend of mine from Belgium and this will be my first time.

On November 1st, I started my training program for next year's AIDS/Life Cycle 7 from San Francisco to Los Angeles which will take place from June 1-7 2008. I'll be riding 545 miles through beautiful California. In preparation to that I'm hitting the gym daily with an intensive cardiovascular program for one hour.

I'm also starting my fundraising campaign. My goal is to raise $2500 in donations. All donations are secure and go directly to the San Francisco AIDS Foundation to help provide services to people living with HIV/AIDS. The participant/cyclist don't have access to any credit card information. They are made through a secure site. All cyclists are required to raise a minimum of $2,500 in donations in order to ride.

You can read more about the Ride here http://www.aidslifecycle.org

If you're willing to help me contributing money for the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and allow me to ride please visit the donation secure page https://www.aidslifecycle.org/donate/1554

You can also send a check or money order to the Foundation by regular mail. Please contact me for more details.

No donation is too small !

Thank you,

Steven Draker ~

My official LifeCycle homepage http://www.aidslifecycle.org/1554

Congrats on this move! You will not only have a great time but you are doing a great dead by bringing attention to the ride as well to the cause. The people you will meet on the trip will change your life forever. I am looking forward to the ride again and looking forward to hearing your voice say "on your left" spoken to me daily. (that is what everyone says as they pass us slow folks) ^_^

Guest StevenDraker

Guys,

Just an update to let you know that I just got back from a week of intensive training in Provence, France in preparation for the AIDS LifeCycle in June. I spent a very nice week in Provence riding through the beautiful countryside of Vaucluse. My body is in pain: everything is hurting, especially my lower back and my legs, however I'm very happy with the progress I make. I've got a brand new Monoc carbon bike with Shimano 105 - 9 speed component package which shall be excellent for the California Ride. My Monoc bike has a Quattro Pro frame - black color, the wheels are Continental.

I'm still recovering from my training week in Provence. It took me a few days to recuperate and let the new muscles I use acclimated. I still have 7 weeks to train hard and get some mileage on my bike.

I'm doing the Aids Ride mainly for two reasons: first - it's a personal challenge, because I like to push my limits and go where I haven't been before. The second reason is for the Cause and also to help and support my friend from Belgium who is infected with HIV and who is doing the Ride with me. I have a good feeling about the Ride and I'm full with optimism and willpower.

I uploaded a new pic from Provence on my LifeCycle homepage www.aidslifecycle.org/1554

Thanks to all for your messages of support and donations.

My best,

Steven Draker ~

Guest StevenDraker

Los Angeles, June 8th

669740777306_0_ALB.jpg

My muscles are sore, my back is hurting, however I'm very glad that I had the unique chance to experience the LifeCycle 7 event first hand. This was my first time riding and it was well worth the effort I put in it. The greeting at my arrival in L.A. yesterday was truly a unique moment of happiness, relieve and satisfaction that I have accomplished my goal. The Ride itself was hard. It requires some strenuous effort and endurance, serious training and preparation and of course a lot of willpower to cycle 545 miles in 7 days. During this exceptional week I pedaled a lot, I laughed, I cried, I made some good friends, I fell off the bike once and hurt myself but I continued to the end.

The most beautiful day for me was Day 6 when we were riding along the coast in Santa Barbara with some spectacular views and perfect sunny weather all the way down to Ventura. The unofficial stop in Santa Barbara turned out into the biggest ice cream garden party I have ever seen.

One of the most emotional moments of the Ride was the Candle Light vigil in Ventura on Day 6. After dark around 3000 of us formed a procession and walked to the beach holding a lit candle. In complete silence, no words were needed as we formed a huge circle on the beach. David was standing next to me as we remembered all those who are no longer with us. We're all there for the same reason to fight the impact that this decease has in this world and with the hope that one day we no longer have to ride for this cause.

I wanted to thank everyone who supported me in this endeavor and who sponsored my Ride. I raised over $8000 in total for the San Francisco Aids Foundation. Thank you to the organizers for the great job handling this event. You were great, guys. A special thanks to David/SF who made the Ride so fun, to Julian who was greeting us every evening in the camp (sorry that you lost your voice), to Charlie and Dennis for the continuous encouragement and support in preparation to the Ride, to Ethan for his training advise and help during the Ride, to Bertine for the logistic support and Tom, without who this Ride wouldn't have the same meaning. Thanks for being my friend, Tom.

I'm glad that I became part of this incredible community for 7 days in this life-changing event. The Ride doesn't end until Aids does!

Steven Draker ~

• Members

Steven,

Congrats to you and David for your compassion and fortitude in undertaking a very strenuous, successful effort to raise money for the AIDS benefit. $8K is a wonderful contribution to the effort and I suspect the memories will last a lifetime.

TY

P.S. Now you join Oz in the Club: 'Peddling Ass for Charity'. :P