TotallyOz

Myanmar, where 'traitors soon meet their tragic ends'

Few stories have touched me more than the images of monks being arrested, beaten and killed in Burma. Having lived a time in that part of the world, I know the reverence that is placed upon monks by their followers. It has saddened me greatly to see this and know that we won't do anything to help as they don't have oil for our SUV's. Here is a very good article on the plight of the people there. Please feel free to post others.

CNN editor's note: An I-Reporter inside Myanmar shares experiences of what it's like to live there. Because of safety concerns, CNN.com has agreed not to identify the author. The views expressed here are those of the author alone.

YANGON, Myanmar -- On the surface, Yangon appears almost normal since most of the military's activities now take place under cover of a nighttime curfew away from the cameras. But what is normal -- and what happens beyond normal?

The military crackdown has been unbelievably severe, especially considering this country's deep reverence for Buddhist monks. To see monks attacked during peaceful demonstrations is disturbing, as is the vengeance with which the military attempts to cover up its abuse and prevent news from leaking to the outside world.

But the abuse goes beyond that.

Every day, I hear sad stories. A father is killed when trying to reach his son in a school that is cordoned off by the military. A young student in a village school is killed by overzealous military, but the family cannot obtain the body, which was conveniently cremated. If the family protests, the whole village suffers.

For full story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/10/1...port/index.html