TotallyOz

Across the Universe

The new Julie Taymor movie is amazing. I loved it from beginning to end. I went with a few younger guys who were so excited to see it and one loved it and the other hated it. I thought that Taymor did an outstanding job with this and I was mesmerized by the songs and the 60's experience. I think there was more than just a few of those in the audience who had smoked a little weed before the show as I smelled it on more than just our group. All in all, the show really did deliver a great time. I was apprehensive at first to see it and the two young lads who were with me were excited. When we exited, there were tears in the eyes of one and matter in the sleepy eyes of the other.

2 hr. 11 min. | PG-13 - for some drug content, nudity, sexuality, violence and language

Cast: Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson

Director: Julie Taymor

Genre: Period Film, Musical Romance, Musical

A love story set against the backdrop of the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, mind exploration and rock 'n' roll, moving from the dockyards of Liverpool to the creative psychedelia of Greenwich Village, from the riot-torn streets of Detroit to the killing fields of Vietnam. The star-crossed lovers, Jude and Lucy, along with a small group of friends and musicians, are swept up into the emerging anti-war and counterculture movements, with Dr. Robert and Mr. Kite as their guides. Tumultuous forces outside their control ultimately tear the young lovers apart, forcing Jude and Lucy--against all odds--to find their own way back to each other

www.fandango.com

post-100001-1192418089_thumb.jpg

• Members

I loved this movie. Truly innovative method of storytelling. All Beatles music and lyrics. The music was arranged with new twists that kept you listening. I was tapping my feet to the whole movie.

I wondered what some of the younger members of the audience (mid 40's here) thought of the movie. Today's music is so different, and in the era of the ipod many seem to have become very serious about music. Serious is maybe not the right word, but music has become a much more solitary activity then it used to be. I think listening to music in the past was a much more social activity when we by necessity listened to more music played aloud then into earphones.

I concluded, and your experience Oz may confirm this, that the young will most likely really get into this movie or not get it at all.

I concluded, and your experience Oz may confirm this, that the young will most likely really get into this movie or not get it at all.

I think you are right. The guys with me were younger and in the early 20's. One loved it and was in tears, the other is still talking today about how boring it was. I had other friends that saw it and had the same reaction. I was at the theatre again tonight to see another flick and Across the Universe was letting out and I stopped and talked to a group of young ladies. 3 loved it and 1 hated it.

Tonight I saw the Why do Women get Married moive. It was funny as hell. But, it did not compare to the experience of last night.