Guest BewareofNick

O'Reilly Upset When Others Report His Racist Remarks

Guest BewareofNick

"You know, I was up in Harlem a few weeks ago, and I actually had dinner with Al Sharpton, who is a very, very interesting guy, and he comes on The Factor a lot, and I treated him to dinner because he's made himself available to us, and I felt that I wanted to take him up there. And we went to Sylvia's, a very famous restaurant in Harlem. I had a great time. And all the people up there are tremendously respectful, they all watch The Factor. You know, when Sharpton and I walked in, it was, like, big commotion and everything, but everybody was very nice. And I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean it was -- it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship; it was the same. And that's really what this society is all about, now...

[...] There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' You know, I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all."

Of course, when reported by Media matters, NBC, etc, Biilo says he is being smeared. just because they reported on the words that came out of his mouth.

The owner of Sylvia's was highly offended by Billo's remarks.

Conway, please commence with defending Billo....

Of course, when reported by Media matters, NBC, etc, Biilo says he is being smeared. just because they reported on the words that came out of his mouth.

It appears NBC & CNN may have repeated verbatim the report from Media Matters - the George Soros site - without independently verifying and proper attribution. So it will probably be suspect by many based on the source and the later organizations may have to answer for their actions too.

Before taking a side, there is probably more to come on this story.

• Members

Maybe I’ll take a heaping helping of poo for saying this, but I think that most of us humans reach enlightenment a step at a time. I’m sure no fan of O’Reilly, but if he was awakened to the fact that a “black†Harlem restaurant is every bit as nice as his favorite “white†suburban restaurant, that seems like a good thing to me. Granted, he's fifty years late to the party, but he did show up and may be figuring out how to have a good time.

Much as Sylvia and I may mourn his ignorance today, I will take some pleasure if he’s a smarter guy tomorrow.

Now if he’d just keep his mouth shut until he gets there. :mellow:

Soros seems to be running into quite a few more credibility problems these days as evidenced by recent editorials in Investor's Business Daily regarding his secret payment of $720,000 to a NASA whistleblower to publicly denounce scientifically reliable evidence regarding global warming.

Hey, if you can't win the political debate on fact, just buy someone who'll support your position.

• Members
"You know, I was up in Harlem a few weeks ago, and I actually had dinner with Al Sharpton, who is a very, very interesting guy, and he comes on The Factor a lot, and I treated him to dinner because he's made himself available to us, and I felt that I wanted to take him up there. And we went to Sylvia's, a very famous restaurant in Harlem. I had a great time. And all the people up there are tremendously respectful, they all watch The Factor. You know, when Sharpton and I walked in, it was, like, big commotion and everything, but everybody was very nice. And I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean it was -- it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship; it was the same. And that's really what this society is all about, now...

[...] There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' You know, I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all."

The owner of Sylvia's was highly offended by Billo's remarks.

Conway, please commence with defending Billo....

I'm no fan of billo either. It was an incredibly stupid thing to say, as was 'nappy headed ho's'. At least Imus was trying to be funny. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse but it does indicate a motivation. Yeah, it missed the mark by a lightyear as many many of his other comments did. Some hit too. ^_^ And as comedy it was a stupid attempt.

Unfortunately, billo comments seemed to indicate that he has lived the last 30 years in a cave. I don't believe that billo is an avid racist or a closet racist, but it does seem that he carries some latent baggage inconsistent with modern enlightenment.

For me it is not so much what he said -- many people say the stupidest things with no real harmful intent. For me it is more that the self-appointed arbiter of right and rightiousness, who on many occasions has flayed many others for foibles intended or unintended, has now fallen on his own sword. Yet he refused to see that the denials he invokes on his behalf are no different in quality than those of many people he has victimized from his bully pulpit. I suspect enlightenment will continue to evade billo as he invokes the mantra that the liberal press is out to get him, much as he has been out to get others. After all, he is the right and rightious one. FWIW

• Members

First of all, doesn't Bill get some credit for actually going out to dinner with AL SHARPTON? How would you like to sit through an entire dinner with that loudmouth friend of Tawanna Bradley? Of course, AL gets credit too for going out to dinner with that loudmouth friend of Ann Coulter. Come to think of it, they deserve each other.

Besides, I have been to Sylvia's a couple of times and I can tell you that Amy Ruth's is better.

I went to church once with Bill O 'Reilly. After reciting the Lord's Prayer he looked up at Jesus on the cross and said "You can have the last word"

Guest epigonos

I would like to relate two different stories that are somewhat relevant to this thread.

Several years ago a female friend and I made a trip to New Orleans. I always research thoroughly any place I plan to visit and I located a highly recommended soul food restaurant that I wanted to visit. After checking into our hotel I asked the concierge for directions in order to drive there. He looked at the address and informed me that we didn’t want to go there. When I insisted he refused to give me directions stating that that district of New Orleans was simply too dangerous for a white couple to visit. Well I pulled out my New Orleans city map and we found our way there with minimal difficulty. We arrived about five on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant was crowned and we were the only white patrons. Though we received numerous surprised looks everybody was wonderful and went out of their way telling us what to order. We had great fun and an absolutely fantastic meal. Now the real shocker came when I went up to pay the bill. The owner thanked us for coming and said he would walk us to our car. When I informed him that it was not necessary because we were parked directly in front of his front door he said YES IT WAS. He also said he was going to give us directions on the fastest way to drive out of the neighborhood and that if anybody tried to stop us we were to drive right though them. Only at this point did I begin to panic.

I am not a great fan of Jesse Jackson anymore than I am of Al Sharpton but some years ago he said something that has stuck with me. He recalled that late one night he was walking alone down a street in Washington D.C. when he heard footsteps behind him. When he turned and realized that the person was white he was relieved. He went on to say that the experience taught him something he hadn’t realized. He had come to believe that before fears and prejudices can be conquered they must be addressed. He also decided that sometimes those fears and prejudices were not totally baseless and that that too must be addressed.

With these two stories I am not making excuses fro O’Reilly BUT I do understand what he meant. I live in Southern California and frankly, whether I like it or not, I cannot safely visit restaurants in certain parts of L.A. That is definitely too bad and we need to work on changing the situation BUT we accomplish nothing by denying the truth – in fact by doing so be perpetuate the problem.

Besides, I have been to Sylvia's a couple of times and I can tell you that Amy Ruth's is better.

Miss Mamie's Spoonbread beat them both hands down.

Yours truly,

Another Right Winger Who has Eaten Lots of Soul Food in Harlem

Guest BewareofNick
Context again NitWitNick ;) (see Limbaugh post)

Obviously, BigK is using the Fox "News" big lie technique. Say a lie often enough and others will believe it. For example, Bush let the weapons inspectors finish their job in Iraq. Clinton had Osama offered to him and let him go. Saddam had WMD. Iraq helped with 9/11. Only on Fox. Funny how every time a Republican says something stupid they are "taken out of context". Seems to happen every day.

Guest StuCotts

O'Reilly earns a handsome living by being a very visible asshole. Occasionally he feels his visibility slipping. In horror of going back to being what he was before he and Fox found each other, he boosts his visibility with something that stands out from his usual verminous thing. And so he says or does something outstandingly assholey. That is my take on what happened here.

I suspect he and Sharpton are buddies. They both feather their nests by doing their best to discredit the Democratic party. Sharpton is better at it.