Gaybutton

Fixing a Problem, Thai Style

I just loved this one. It's so typical. A problem exists. The problem is fixed. Now the situation is worse than it was in the first place.

The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS:

_____

Soi Beokeow Community Complains to City Hall over Persistent Flooding Problems

Khun Wirawat, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya received a group of residents and business owners from the Soi Beokeow Community who made a complaint regarding the state of the drainage system in the area and persistent problems with flooding which occur at the conclusion of every major rain storm that hits Pattaya.

Recently the entire stretch of the road was resurfaced and new drainage pipes were installed. Since this work was completed the flooding problems have become worse. The group would like the Pattaya City Administration to take action and modify the existing pipes to ensure that the street does not suffer major disruptions during the forthcoming wet season months.

Khun Wirawat promised to investigate the complaint without delay.

Where I live, about a year and a half ago both sides of the street were torn up to install a drainage ditch. My street is on an incline and we never had a flooding problem to begin with, but never mind. We never even know who authorized and paid for the work. But now we have our drainage ditch. Of course, the street was left in a condition that resembles a bombed out street in Baghdad and to this day has never been repaired, but by golly we've got our ditch!