TotallyOz

Gay Pride Montreal

• Members
Also, if anyone has any links to the sites and parties up there, please let us know.

I know of: www.bbcm.org

Dates: Aug. 1 - 5.

Information: http://www.diverscite.org/anglais/apro.htm

It's a fun time with big crowds. The village is closed off to auto traffic the entire weekend. Stalls are set up selling art, food trinkets etc. The bars and restos are going full blast and the people-watching on Ste Catherine is the best show in town. Not to be missed at least once in everyone's life.

Guest CTDick

BUT, there is not going to be a parade this year. I'm told by several Montrealers that there were conflicts between the two lesbians who head the organizing committee and participants. Over the years the bars have dropped out and finally the whole thing collapsed.

What a shame. This was a fun parade with all elements of the city coming to watch - straights with kids, old folks, teens, gays & lesbian.

Dick

• Members
BUT, there is not going to be a parade this year. I'm told by several Montrealers that there were conflicts between the two lesbians who head the organizing committee and participants. Over the years the bars have dropped out and finally the whole thing collapsed.

What a shame. This was a fun parade with all elements of the city coming to watch - straights with kids, old folks, teens, gays & lesbian.

Dick

Too bad. I wondered why I could not find mention of it on the web page.

If I recall correctly, there was some issue last year with the parade being held at night rather than the ususal Sunday afternoon. Something to do with changing the time when kids would not be so likely to be in attendance. Not sure it happened but the discussion indicated that some were having issues with the parade.

I preferred it to parades in NY, Boston, and Vancouver, although it seemed to be less each year than the year before. Too bad. :(

• Members

If you visit the BBCM website www.bbcm.org you can find the complete official program for the parade.

The parade will be on Rene Levesque on the 29th starting at 1PM.

The official guide has a map of the parade route sponsers and events.

www.bbcm.org

Click on press releases, than 2007 LGBTA Celebration

:rolleyes:

• Members
If you visit the BBCM website www.bbcm.org you can find the complete official program for the parade.

www.bbcm.org

Merci beaucoup Monsieur. ^_^

Guest CTDick

www.bbcm.org

You might want to double check this. The official Divers Cité site has the whole festival beginning August 1. It doesn't even mention July 29.

There is no date on this BBCM press release. It MAY predate the cancelation.

Dick

• Members
You might want to double check this. The official Divers Cité site has the whole festival beginning August 1. It doesn't even mention July 29.

There is no date on this BBCM press release. It MAY predate the cancelation.

Dick

Hey Dick:

Actually it appears that it will happen (at least according to bbcm). Here;s the direct link to their press release:

http://www.bbcm.org/images/ProgrammeFinalCorLR.pdf

And if you scroll down far enough, they have the route, the dates, etc etc. They even mention a "return" to the a day parade, no doubt a slap in the face to diverscite... since the parade was put at night last year.

It really does seem like diverscite and bbcm have gone their separate ways, as you are correct... the diverscite festival does not begin until Aug 1.... and the bbcm events are July 28 and 29, with parade being on sunday July 29.

Another interesting thing.... there is a Diverscite party on Sunday Aug 5 with the famous gay Israeli DJ Offer Nissim.... and he's bound to be a twink magnet (LOL...always thinking ahead)... but the press release says it's a Unity event but then it appears to be held at Parking. WTF???

Guest TreyThurston

:D

Also, if anyone has any links to the sites and parties up there, please let us know.

I know of: www.bbcm.org

yeah! montreal pride is amazing.. i first went a couple years back and havn't missed the event since! it was such a privilege to meet so many amazing people! i will definitely try and make it up again this year! the bois truely come out in full force! dont' miss it!

kisses

trey

www.treythurston.com

• Members

Dick

Found this on the web, dated July 24:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...24.html?ref=rss

So it looks like the parade is on for Sunday afternoon, July 29. I was thinking of driving up from Vermont for at least part of the fun. Would enjoy meeting some fellow MERvillians if I go - feel free to private my in-box.

• Members
Found this on the web, dated July 24:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...24.html?ref=rss

So it looks like the parade is on for Sunday afternoon, July 29. I was thinking of driving up from Vermont for at least part of the fun. Would enjoy meeting some fellow MERvillians if I go - feel free to private my in-box.

Eeyore,

Thanks for the link. I appreciate knowing that it was Divers Cite that decided to drop the ball. Major mistake IMO but fortunately BBCM and others stepped in.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Gay Pride revelers decide in the future to coalesce around the new Parade and BBCM effort. It seemed to me in the past that the Parade was the pinnacle of the Pride Celebration. Thus set the Parade and the rest is likely to follow. And BBCM does know how to throw a party!! ;)