AdamSmith

Lap dances judged "free speech" in Oregon

• Members

Ok... first of all... I am a BIG fan of strip clubs and lapdances, so I am very happy for Oregon.

Secondly, I am not a lawyer, so I may not understand the finer aspects of constitutional law.

However, I do speak English, and under any kind of definition of the word "speech", I am not sure how jumping naked into someone's lap so you can grind against their genitalia for the purpose of arousing them constitutes speech!

And since free speech is supposedly protected everywhere, is the judge saying that you could do naked lap dances in the street?

I gotta take more linguistics classes if that's the case! ^_^

Guest StuCotts
Ok... first of all... I am a BIG fan of strip clubs and lapdances, so I am very happy for Oregon.

Secondly, I am not a lawyer, so I may not understand the finer aspects of constitutional law.

However, I do speak English, and under any kind of definition of the word "speech", I am not sure how jumping naked into someone's lap so you can grind against their genitalia for the purpose of arousing them constitutes speech!

And since free speech is supposedly protected everywhere, is the judge saying that you could do naked lap dances in the street?

Technically, yes. But if you put it to the test, you could be taken in under whatever statute can be applied, eg, public lewdness, incitement to riot, interfering with traffic, etc. I'm reminded of a quotation from I don't remember what source and which I couldn't render without mangling it, so I'll paraphrase: Do as you please in private, but not in the street where it will frighten the horses. (Mrs. Patrick Campbell? Adam, can you throw me a line?)

I gotta take more linguistics classes if that's the case! ^_^

Don't bother. No knowledge of English or linguistic theory is of any use at all in judicial situations.

• Members

Should be interesting how this affects (if at all) male strip clubs in PDX, particularly the Silverado (or, as the locals refer to it, the Silver-Dildo). Does Portland have a similar law? I seem to remember the the old Three Sisters was able to do lap dances because they only sold beer and wine; whereas the Silverado has a full bar.

Guest StuCotts

After fretting about it since my 7/2 post, I have it! The sentiment did come from Mrs Patrick Campbell: "My dear, I don't care what those affectionate people do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses".

Triumphs are where you find them.

Triumphs are where you find them.

Indeed. Well done.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mrs_Patrick_Campbell

Free association (that would be the world!) brings Alice Roosevelt Longworth to mind...

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."

"I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches."

"I've always believed in the adage that the secret of eternal youth is arrested development."