TotallyOz

Airline Ticket Question

I have a friend who is overseas and stuck there. He needs a ticket back to USA. However, he is not reliable and VERY flakey. I don't mind spending the money for a ticket but how can I do this and get my money back if he does not show? Is there a way to do this that no one looses?

• Members

A couple of options. First, you could buy a fully refundable ticket; these are usually pretty extensive (think full fare coach, which are usually on par with business class prices). You may want to talk to a consolidator and determine if there are better prices for the the flight then offered via the airline, directly. The other option, if available to you, is to use frequent flier miles. Although a word of caution, each airline has certain conditions, relative to freq. flier miles and may not let you re-deposit the miles if your friend doesn't make the flight. Also, if you're using freq. flier miles, on short notice, you will probably need to 'spend' double the miles to get a seat, particularly if your friend is coming from Europe. Good luck

• Members

That's a tough one... especially since it sounds like even though he is very flakey and not reliable, you seem intent on helping him.

My advice might be the opposite of the one above. Shop for the very cheapest non-refundable ticket you can find.... tell him you wll be incredibly pissed if he flakes on that ticket since you are buying it for him... and then settle for either he uses the ticket and he owes you big.. or he doesn't and you lose the least amount of money possible.

Guest scamper

If there is even a hint of flakiness about this person, you will regret buying any type of non-refundable ticket for him unless you have money to burn. I know this as I worked in the executive offices of a major airline for six years. You have two choices, use frequent flyer miles if you have them or buy a fully refundable ticket. Just be aware that refundable tickets from Europe to the USA usually run several thousand dollars.

• Members
I have a friend who is overseas and stuck there. He needs a ticket back to USA. However, he is not reliable and VERY flakey. I don't mind spending the money for a ticket but how can I do this and get my money back if he does not show? Is there a way to do this that no one looses?

I would opt for the use of your NWA miles-But you might wait till the begining of the month.

If he does not make the flight-you get your miles back(a miles flight is treated just like a full fare ticket on most airlines)But this is most likely going to cost you dearly in terms of miles-but still a lot cheaper than having to spend 3k$ out of pocket for a full fare ticket.

Or you could send some tough love his way and tell him-"you got yourself into this mess,,,,," Even flakes need to learn such life lessons :unsure: