Guest BKKvisitor

Using Taxis in Bangkok

Guest BKKvisitor

A few guidelines (particularly for newbies) when using taxis in Bangkok:

(1) Don't take a taxi (or tuk-tuk) that a "tout" is encouraging you to use

(2) Don't take a taxi parked along Silom Rd. or Suriwong Rd., looking for fares

(3) Get out of a taxi if the driver refuses to immediately start the meter

(4) Whenever possible, know the route (or at least the general direction) to your destination so you'll know if your driver is taking you for a joy ride (a common farang trick)

(5) When leaving a hotel, you're better off not taking a taxi from a nearby line of parked cabs because they will invariably try to get you to accept a flat rate that is at least double the meter rate. Go to the street and flag one down. There are exceptions: if your leaving a hotel (or restaurant) and a taxi is just dropping off a fare outside, then its usually safe to get right in.

(6) When you get in a cab, make a point of jotting down the information from the driver's taxi license (which should be prominently displayed on dashboard). I've seen it noted elsewhere that it's a good idea to call someone (or even simulate a call) and tell the party that your enroute to your destination in taxi number XXXX).

Overall, taking taxis in Bangkok is a safe. But I've noted on my last trip that I was taken for a joy ride more often than on previous trips. When this occurs, I don't tip. But when I get a driver who takes me the most direct route, I tip better than average as a reward.

On my trips to and from the airport, one driver tried to get me to agree to a flat rate of 400 baht. I didn't and the actual cost (to the Silom area) was 207 on the meter, 65 baht in tolls and 50 baht in airport surcharge for a total of 322 baht. Remember that the airport surcharge applies only on fares taken FROM the airport. Perhaps if I was going to one of the hotels on the opposite side of the river, 400 baht would have been a reasonable fare because flat rates include the tip. Flat rates may make sense if you're departing the airport at rush hour and you expect to be stuck in traffic for extended periods. It's always a good practice to have some small (20 baht) notes on hand because the passenger is expected to pay the tolls as they come up.

The standard tipping practice in Bangkok is to round the fare up to the next 5-baht increment. But on long hauls such as the airport, I would always tip better if the driver had taken the direct route.

If a driver asks "highway" or "expressway" on way to airport, he's asking you if you are willing to pay the extra tolls to use the expressway. Your answer is yes.

Be aware that many of he roads in the downtown area are divided and drivers must frequently go out of their way before being able to turn around. Sometimes simply crossing the road to the opposite side will save you time and money.

One last anecdote: My Thai friend and I flagged down a taxi in the area not far from the Mor Chit bus terminal (not skytrain station by same name) for a trip to Silom area. Seeing a Thai guy with a farang, the driver proceed to take the tourist route to Silom. At one point, he actually went into a holding pattern, making a few rectangular loops, before rejoining the main road downtown. He carried on a lively chat with my friend in Thai but when we neared our destination near Patpong he said (in very good English to my companion) "get the money." I did not of course tip.

Guest wowpow

My experience of Bangkok;s Meter Taxis over 15 years has been very good.

Once I was given a 30 baht reduction on the fare because the traffic was very slow. Once I took a taxi and after about 4 minutes changed my mind and got out. He cancelled the fare.

The taxis parked along Silom and Surowong Roads late evenings have to pay the Police to so do - I believe 50 baht. They then have to ask extra above the meter fare but they are opportunists. It's easy to walk to Rama IV road and get a meter taxi.

Bangkok taxis are numerous and seem to be readily available 24 hours even when raining (not soluble like London taxis) Fares are ridiculously cheap and have not risen for many years despite the increase in fuel prices. The basic fare is only 35 baht.

It is NOT usual to tip Bangkok taxis at all. In fact if the fare comes to 51/52 baht he will accept 50 baht without a murmer. I like to tip a bit as I think they work hard for their small money.

Apart from avoiding the fairly obvious touts who linger in hotel forcourts and offers to tours of lady bars there is little danger. The one problem is that many of them do not know their way around Bangkok very well.

To call a taxi the polite way is to extend your arm to 45 degrees and wave the hand downwards. Thais will then ask the driver if he wants to go to their destination and when he agrees enter the cab.

If two or three are travelling then taxis are often cheaper than skytrain or the subway but not usually as fast.

Guest BKKvisitor

Wowpow makes a good point: many drivers don't know their way around Bangkok.

Also, few can read a map.

It's a very good practice to get a card from your hotel with the address in Thai that you can show the driver.

if youre going someplace, ask someone at the hotel desk to write out your destination in Thai.

One last warning: I've found that many of the taxis lined up outside Tartawan Place Hotel (at the 7-11) will try top get you to pay a flat rate. If you insist on meter, you'll probably find that the meter advances more quickly than normal because they have been altered. I avoid them.

Guest fountainhall

Two more thoughts. In case your taxi driver does not know where you are going, check a map in advance (concierges in all hotels should help) and identify a nearby landmark. That will at least get you reasonably close. As BKKvisitor rightly points out, few taxi-drivers - in fact few Thais, it seems to me - can read maps.

Secondly, when it come to tipping, let's remember that basic taxi rates - in Bangkok at least - have not been raised for several years. I know that most do not run on gasoline and so have not been seriously affected by the huge price rises, but inflation does eat away at basic wages. I tend to tip a bit more than I did 3 years ago.

Guest Steve1903

and do insist that he at least tries to find your hotel and not let him take you to one that he's selected for you. and also that "grand palace" means directly to grand palace and not "i take you boat" first.

Guest callmepm

This trip to BKK I went upstairs to Arrivals to avoid waiting for a taxie and avoid the airport sur-charge.

It worked like a charm. Driver saw us comeing out the door and stood there with trunk open smiling and waiting! He did not ask for the sur-charge so a good tip was in order.

I always give the driver enough baht to cover tools and say expressway which avoids the question.