Guest phil200bongo

Swimming Pattaya

Guest phil200bongo

:(

Hi guys, can any one tell me if it is safe to swim in the sea at the gay beach?

I have had mixed reports.

I love to swim in the sea, but may be i should forget Pattaya and have my week break in Phuket.

Any help or advice from some one would be great.

Thanks Phil

Guest lvdkeyes

You can have the best of both places. Just when you plan to swim take the ferry or speedboat to Kho Larn. The water there is much cleaner than Dongtan Beach. The ferry takes about 45 min and the speedboat about 15-20min.

Guest luvthai

You could not drag (ummm) me into the water at the beach. There is always so much debri floating in it and sometimes you can see sewage as well. I do however like the water park at the end of the walkway.

Guest xiandarkthorne

You could not drag (ummm) me into the water at the beach. There is always so much debri floating in it and sometimes you can see sewage as well. I do however like the water park at the end of the walkway.

Oh dear! And here I was thinking I could just pop in and go swimming every day!

Guest buaseng

Hi guys, can any one tell me if it is safe to swim in the sea at the gay beach?

The straight answer is NO. There is still a great deal of pollution and raw sewage pumped into the bay (in spite of the City fathers claiming that it is all safely treated - a statement I find hard to believe when you see turds and toilet paper floating in on the tide) that you are very laible to get skin ailments at the very least and a serious health problem at worst.

Add to that the morons who speed up and down the beach, inside the 'safety barrier/rope', on jet skis without regard for swimmers.

The nearest place to be reasonably safe is Koh Larn (as lvdkeyes has already pointed out).

You wouldn't get me in the water at Dongtan even if you reimbursed me with the total expenses for my entire holiday !

Guest xiandarkthorne

You wouldn't get me in the water at Dongtan even if you reimbursed me with the total expenses for my entire holiday !

Okay...that's Dongtan written off. So how about Jomtien? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I've never been to Pattaya before and all this news about dirty beaches and polluted seas makes me lean more and more towards my usual seaside haunting ground instead.

Guest buaseng

Okay...that's Dongtan written off. So how about Jomtien? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I've never been to Pattaya before and all this news about dirty beaches and polluted seas makes me lean more and more towards my usual seaside haunting ground instead.

Dongtan is the name of that part of Jomtien beach where the 'gay' area is.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Dongtan is the name of that part of Jomtien beach where the 'gay' area is.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bua. I saw some pictures of the beach on GayTingtong and it looked okay. I guess I'll just have to come and see for myself during the off-season when I'll finally have the time for a holiday.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bua. I saw some pictures of the beach on GayTingtong and it looked okay. I guess I'll just have to come and see for myself during the off-season when I'll finally have the time for a holiday.

I did swim few time in the Jomtien Bay, but it was few years ago and It was still ok back then. The water seems great when you are relaxing on the chair, but once you step feet in it, it is different. I doubt I would jump back in... well unless it is to save a gorgeous guy from drowning :wub: I would jump in a heart beat.

Guest xiandarkthorne

What about the other beaches? I really do mean to spend my days swimming and not running around looking at flesh and I'm sincerely hoping that there will be places where I can actually do that.

Guest buaseng

What about the other beaches? I really do mean to spend my days swimming

If that's the case Pattaya/Jomtien is not the place for you. Phuket is far better and cleaner, or Koh Samui, or Hua Hin (but the gay night life is not so widespread in the latter two places).

Alternatively go to Pattaya, stay a day (or two maximum) there to see the sights (what little there are) - but stay out of the water - and then book yourself for a prolonged stay on Koh Samet (an island resort about two hourss drive and a half hour ferry boat ride south of Pattaya) - (but here there is virtually no gay night life and you are far better off taking a Thai companion with you. You can swim there all day from white sandy beaches to your heart's content in clear blue water).

To summarise: If your priorities are to swim all day and have a rampant gay night life, Phuket (Patong beach) is the place for you. If swimming is your main priority and you can exist without living in gay bars, discos and gogo bars at night the other places mentioned are well worth considering.

Guest xiandarkthorne

If that's the case Pattaya/Jomtien is not the place for you. Phuket is far better and cleaner, or Koh Samui, or Hua Hin (but the gay night life is not so widespread in the latter two places).

Thank for the advice, RakThai. I have met a nice Thai guy close to my age on-line, and he lives in Pattaya, so I really do want to come and meet him in the flesh the next time I can afford a holiday in Thailand.