Guest BKKvisitor

BKK Reflections

Guest BKKvisitor

I've been visiting Bangkok for about five years now. Having returned a week ago from my most recent visit, I offer some reflections:

Accommodations: I've stayed in many different hotels from the Malaysia to the Peninsula and lots in between but I return most often to Tarntawan Place for friendly atmosphere and convenience. I simply feel comfortable there (the Thursday evening manager's cocktail parties are great opportunities to meet people and exchange information). And it's the best (and safest) place to bring a new friend back to your room. I've also sampled many serviced apartments, all of which offered their own distinct advantages and tradeoffs. The serviced apartments appear particularly popular among Japanese and Chinese visitors. The only place I probably wouldn't return to is Malaysia (a bit too spartan for me personally but I know many treasure it for convenience and value).

Restaurants: I suppose that Bua on Convent Rd. is my favorite of Thai food at a good value. And that little French place across the soi (LaBoulange) makes great breads and pastries and produces the best club sandwich I've enjoyed anywhere. If you must have western food, you can always find it at Sizzler and Subway (but at western prices), McDonald's and KFC (but why would you want to travel half-way around the globe to do that to yourself?).

Soi 4: When I first came to BKK, I was there every night, people watching and drinking. Gradually, however, it lost its sway over me. The best things it has going for it are the long-serving bartenders at Balcony (although the waiters there are some of the most distracted servers anywhere). I'd probably go to Telephone more often if they'd get rid of that stale odor that hits you in the face (a mixture of stale smoke and uncleaned bathrooms). And I've learned not to take food at any establishment on the soi.

Dick's Cafe has remained remarkably consistent in terms of service, food and drink. What I believe the place really needs is a long bar like Balcony. The bar at Dick's is tiny and used more as a service bar. I think it would really boost business because many singles don't want to occupy a whole table. And I enjoy interacting with the bartenders. This is probably a western thing because Thais come in groups and congregate at tables of four or more.

Babylon: The pros: it's maintained a pretty high standard for cleanliness and quality over time. But beware of residual matters on those cabin mattress (and floors) as the evening progresses! The food is almost always good but never great. But the crowd has definitely evolved over time (or at least my perception of it has). The farang quotient has been trending up as has the median age of the locals. The new boys seem to be going elsewhere. I recognize a lot of the same faces I did on my first trip. And although management discourages it, moneyboys are on the increase.

The guys. I, like others, need to qualify the term "boys" when applied to LOS. Anyone under the age of 35 can easily be referred to as a "boy" in this culture. Most of us are probably talking about someone in their early to late 20's, I suspect, when we discuss "boys." Anyway, it's great to meet new people but you've got to remind yourself that you'll never fully understand all the ground rules taken for granted by locals. This is the first time in all my visits that I've left BKK with no one tugging at my heart strings. Am I getting jaded or educated?

Overall impression: Bangkok is still unique and I'll always return, but probably not as often.

Guest buaseng

Accommodation: I return most often to Tarntawan Place for friendly atmosphere and convenience. I simply feel comfortable there (the Thursday evening manager's cocktail parties are great opportunities to meet people and exchange information). And it's the best (and safest) place to bring a new friend back to your room.

Restaurants: I suppose that Bua on Convent Rd. is my favorite of Thai food at a good value.

Dick's Cafe has remained remarkably consistent in terms of service, food and drink. What I believe the place really needs is a long bar like Balcony. The bar at Dick's is tiny and used more as a service bar. I think it would really boost business because many singles don't want to occupy a whole table.

Agree wholeheartedly with these comments and thoroughly recommend all three establishments.

However, Bangkok will always be my least favourite place to stay or visit in Thailand. It is far too crowded, smelly, expensive and is full of aggressive traders who delight in ripping off tourists. I only ever stay there when forced to by early morning flight departures or arrival late at night.

However, Bangkok will always be my least favourite place to stay or visit in Thailand. It is far too crowded, smelly, expensive and is full of aggressive traders who delight in ripping off tourists. I only ever stay there when forced to by early morning flight departures or arrival late at night.

I agree here. Way too much smelly stuff and it is really crowded.

But there are much more choices in guys than in Pattaya :) And they aren't all working guys, so it is cool to go there for few days and have a little fun.

Anyway couldn't stay longer than few days or my lungs would just die because of the polution.

Guest fountainhall
And I've learned not to take food at any establishment on the soi.

I would definitely disagree re Sphinx at the end of the soi. I have many very good meals there and the service is usually excellent. It is, however, a bit more expensive than the others.