Gaybutton

The Latest "Flying Farang"

We haven't had a "flying farang" story for a while, but we've sure got one now. The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS:

_____

Suspected Suicide of a Swiss Man at Pattaya Park

Details of a suspected suicide were received by us on Friday Morning which apparently took place at Pattaya Park in Jomtien. The victim is Mr. Elamer Zanner aged 49 from Switzerland.

We inspected his body at the local Morgue which was in a state consistent with a fall from a considerable height. We understand the man jumped off the top of the Pattaya Park Tower at around 4pm on Thursday Afternoon.

Police tell us they have recorded the death as a suicide but are unsure of any motive as the man was alone. Checks are now being made on the deceased man in cooperation with the Immigration Office.

And this, from the PATTAYA DAILY NEWS:

_____

SWISS TOURIST LEAPS FROM ROOF OF PATTAYA PARK BEACH RESORT

Willi Elmar Zahner (49), a Swiss national leapt to his death from the 56th Floor (the roof) of Pattaya Park Beach Resort on February 8th at somewhere round about 5 pm, slightly before the roof was closed to spectators. Police Lieutenant General Apimook Amnardmankong from Dong Tarn Police Sub Station was the senior officer who attended the incident, along with a doctor from Banglamung Hospital and the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Team, after having been notified of the suicide.

They inspected the roof which has the famous Sky Jump, though Mr. Zahner had merely leapt from the roof, not the Sky Jump. Following this, they went to examine the body which had landed in the car park though he had missed falling on top of any of the cars. Mr. Zahner had died instantly upon reaching the ground and had broken virtually every bone in his body. On his person, they discovered his passport, a pack of cigarettes and a 200 Baht ticket for sightseeing from the top of Pattaya Park Beach Resort Tower. The hotel security officer pointed out that Mr. Zahner had not been a guest at the hotel, but had merely come to sightsee.

The hotel security officer said he had seen Mr. Zahner earlier, about 4 pm, and he had had a long face, obviously being highly concerned about something. The Swiss person had not spoken to any of the other spectators on the rooftop, which had few spectators at the time, between 4 and 5 pm. The hotel security officer said one minute the guy had been standing on the parapet, near the edge, the next he had dived off as though he had been a competitor in a diving competition. The police do not know any details of the dead man apart from his name and nationality and have no idea what impelled him to jump.

Ever since it was built, Pattaya Park Tower has been a favourite jumping platform for farang suicides.

The police are pursuing their enquiries regarding this case.

Guest Steve1903

"jumped as though he was in a diving competition"......anyone know what he scored for artistic impression?

I think I must be missing something. Why are all the suicides "leaping off buildings". Personally I'd go for the bullet in brain assuming I had a gun, or even the too many sleeping pills option. This leaping thing sounds awfully sore. And as for buying a ticket to your death venue, that's just bizarre.

I think I must be missing something. Why are all the suicides "leaping off buildings".

Not all of the suicides are "jumper" suicides. There are all kinds of other suicides as well, but the "flying farang" suicides are certainly common enough around here.

My all-time favorite Pattaya suicide must have happened at least ten years ago by now. That's the one where a body was discovered in the bay with hands tied behind the back and feet weighted down. The police ruled it a suicide. Ok . . . .

Personally I'd go for the bullet in brain assuming I had a gun,

And assuming you could hit a target so small .

No, I am NOT serious.

That line was just too tempting to pass up. I have never known anyone named Steve who wasn

Guest Steve1903

"never met anyone named Steve who wasn't a nice guy".

Yeah me neither and that tradition goes all the way back to St Stephen, he was a cool dude I believe.

They still stoned him to death though.

...a bad Steve??.....hmm got me thinking now.