Guest FourAces

Where is Rico When We Need Him?

Guest FourAces

Well since he doesn't appear to be around to bring this injustice to light I will humbly do my best to make readers aware of what is happening. But please do NOT hold me to the high standards you all hold him to. I am certainly no match for Rico's articulation skills.

Nappy Headed Hos ... well yeah it isn't the best choice of words but fucking come on black people are you serious?

As many know fossilized radio personality Don Imus used those words on his morning show last week while talking about a womans college basketball team. Anyone who actually heard the clip knows he was joking. The former shock jock reached out and probably didn't grab the best words to punctuate his joke but they are far from what the black community is trying to make them to be. Here is the link for those who want to read an article on the incident, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070410/ap_en_...tual_apologies;

Why are the black people focusing on Imus? Why are they not focusing on more important situations within their own community? Why do they so aimlessly follow failed losers like media ho Al Sharpton?

Where was Al Sharpton's outcry when that 100 y/o lady was being punched about in an elevator by a black thug a few weeks ago? Where was the black communities outcry?

The black community needs to focus more on their own problems instead of using magician like misdirection away from it. But any alert person of any color knows what is really happening. While black on black crime runs out of control, while black health resources dwindle, while the education in most black communities' schools is sub-standard, while black people have the highest unemployment numbers in the states ... they are screaming about remarks made on an entertainment program? I asked again are they fucking serious?

Had those remarks been used on the Daily Show, Man Show, Love Line, SNL, Letterman, Colbert Report or a host of other entertainment programs no one would have even noticed. Why does black America hold morning entertainment radio shows to the same standard of network news?

To all black people that were offended by Imus's remarks I say get the fuck over it and start working on the problems within your own community. As boring as he is Don Imus is an entertainer, not a politician, not the morning news and he is not a racist.

Guest FourAces

I am passed the editing time frame so I will make an addendum here: It was pointed out in another thread that this was post is meant to be racist. I just want to clarify that I meant everything I said in my post however it is not meant as racists. It is meant as a statement of how i view the facts. How the so called black leaders that too many black people follow aimlessly will do whatever it takes not to address the issues within their own community.

Guest BewareofNick

Al "Tawanna Brawley" Sharpton and Jesse "Hymietown/ out of wedlock child support not paying" Jackson do not represent the black community. They are nothing but race baiters.

It's for the same reason that so many white people follow pat Robertson and Sean Hannity and the Drug Addict on the EIB Network. They're too stupid to know better.

I say let the nappy headed hoes take Imus behind the gym and beat his ass. That'll teach him to run his mouth.

I think Sharpton was offended because he thought Imus was talking about Sharpton's hair! I mean seriously.....

Guest twinklover

>I say let the nappy headed hoes take Imus behind the gym and

>beat his ass. That'll teach him to run his mouth.

>

>I think Sharpton was offended because he thought Imus was

>talking about Sharpton's hair!

Oh fuck, you got me pissin my panties in laughter. Stop it. If you get me giggling like this, erik/ethan/dotan10/thereasonpeoplehatelawyers won't think that I'm really, I do mean really, serious about his big long perfectly shaped twink dick. I am serious about that.

Guest BewareofNick

Why thank you ^_^

Seriously, the ONLY people who have any reason or right to be outraged by Imus' remarks are the women of the Rutgers basketball team. Sharpton and Jackson have been so pissed off lately about losing the spotlight to Barack Obama, that they will take ANY opportunity to put themselves back in the limelight. I'm not sure when Imus lost his backbone, but his response SHOULD have been:

"Ladies of the Rutgers team, I sincerely apologize for having offended you. Al, Jesse, GO FUCK YOURSELVES!"

>"Ladies of the Rutgers team, I sincerely apologize for

>having offended you. Al, Jesse, GO FUCK YOURSELVES!"

Recalling that great moment in the movie "Barbershop" when Cedric the Entertainer's character bursts out, "FUCK Jesse Jackson!"

Guest SouthernMan

Ever noticed that when people state "I'm not racist", they then proceed to post/say the most racist, intolerant crap, while all the time truly believing that they aren't racist?

Isn't that what Imus did? Isn't that what you just did with this thread?

If Imus had uttered the GAYtors just won their 2nd "straight" national title all you "not racist" posters on this thread would be in an uproar.

Thankfully, MSNBC fired the anacrhonistic cretin today! :-)

Guest eastburbguy

FourAces, a few comments here in response:

First, the issue is not what Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton think or say, it is what Imus said.

Second, unless you've been hibernating for the 30 years of Imus' radio career, you must know that this comment was just the latest in a long list of racist, sexist, and bigoted comments uttered by the "I-Man" over that time.

Third, you say, "Anyone who actually heard the clip knows he was joking. Are you seriously suggesting that there is no such thing as a racist joke?

Fourth, you say, "Had those remarks been used on the Daily Show, Man Show, Love Line, SNL, Letterman, Colbert Report or a host of other entertainment programs no one would have even noticed. I completely disagree, but I'll also observe that they weren't made on those other shows, because the hosts of those other shows have some common decency and some brains to know what they should and should not say on the public airwaves.

Fifth, which brings me to my next point: the public airwaves are just that - public. The public has a right to decide what's tolerable and what is not at any given point in time, and responsible hosts are tuned into those nuances. It didn't take the public very long in this instance to decide that Imus had finally gone too far for the last time, and NBC gave his ass the boot it long deserved. Watch for CBS to follow.

Sixth, and finally, Four Aces, ponder this: how would you feel if you were one of those "nappy headed hos"? Is it even conceivable that you could even try to imagine how you'd feel? Given the tenor of your post, and how smug and self-satisfied you seem having made a total fool out of yourself, I have my doubts. Stick to gambling, FourAces. Social commentary doesn't appear to be your long suit.

• Members

Just to be clear, this is not an instance about use or abuse of the public airways. Cable is privately owned and operated without any grant or 'public service' license from Uncle Sam to operate. All of us may own the airways but each cable company owns/licenses its programming and cable delivery grid.

Cablecast is a private business transaction between providers and subscribers. Uncle Sam has no public service/standards say. Local communities do have some say to the extent outlined in license contracts. Usually limited to what channels will be carried, rate issues, municipal kickbacks, etc. Lord help us if every municipality had its own decency czar for cable. FWIW

Guest FourAces

>Ever noticed that when people state "I'm not

>racist", they then proceed to post/say the most racist,

>intolerant crap, while all the time truly believing that they

>aren't racist?

I NEVER said I am not a racist in this thread. If you took the time to read what I actually wrote I said my remarks were not meant as racists. I would NOT insult myself by making such a post and having to prefix it by I am not a racists .. of course I am not. That is saying well I do have a black friend ... again please read what I wrote not what you WANT me to be.

This is NOT even a race issue ... it is a freedom of speech issue. Imus is an entertainer not the evening news. He made a half ass attempt to sound funny using words that were out of character for him ahhh you get it see that is part of the joke and they were said without any malice whatsoever.

Have you actually heard the comments in context?

Imus is NOT a racists. He raises million of dollars and donates a lot of his own money for disadvantage youth many happen to be black. Racists don't do things like this.

The black community is aimlessly following its mindless leaders who have done nothing but direct their followers attention away from the black community ... their OWN community where very serious problems stand without challenge.

Where is the line drawn when it comes to free speech? It's ok for black people to use those words but not white people? Isn't that like saying it is ok for gays to call each other derogatory names but if a straight person does it then it isn't ok?

Seriously if a black person can use the words, nappy, ho, nigga then why can't white people? Why are their words protected? Do white people have any protected words?

Can I start a blog called, my nigga hos? Since I'm a white person some might find that inappropriate yet NOT ONE PERSON feels Whoopi Goldberg's One Ho Production company is an insulting name. Yet Karen Johnson aka Whoopi is screaming for Imus to be fired????????

When was the last time you ever saw a group of white people calling for a black person to resign for anti white comments? You NEVER have seen it.

The black leaders want to make Imus' remarks into a race issue when it clearly is a freedom of speech issue.

If white people are going to FALL for the black leader's little language race war then I'm here to say that white people need to demand that the black leaders treat those from their own community who use these words the same way.

Guest FourAces

>FourAces, a few comments here in response:

>

>First, the issue is not what Jesse Jackson or Al

>Sharpton think or say, it is what Imus said.

The picture is larger you just can't see it.

>Second, unless you've been hibernating for the 30 years of

>Imus' radio career, you must know that this comment was just

>the latest in a long list of racist, sexist, and

>bigoted comments uttered by the "I-Man" over that

>time.

Pleeeeze guilt ridden whitey ... Get over yourself.

>Third, you say, "Anyone who actually heard the clip

>knows he was joking. Are you seriously suggesting that

>there is no such thing as a racist joke?

Of course not I am saying anyone who actually HEARD the clip knows Imus was making an attempt at a joke and that the words were said without any malice whatsoever. there was zero hate in his mind.

>

>Fourth, you say, "Had those remarks been used on the

>Daily Show, Man Show, Love Line, SNL, Letterman, Colbert

>Report or a host of other entertainment programs no one would

>have even noticed. I completely disagree, but I'll also

>observe that they weren't made on those other shows,

>because the hosts of those other shows have some common

>decency and some brains to know what they should and should

>not say on the public airwaves.

Well the radio portion of his show is public airwaves not the cable broadcast. BTW what does that have to do with this issue. You never listened to Richard Pryor or Chris Rock or George Carlin or Lenny Bruce or ... ???

I did you a favor by zapping your fifth comment.

>Sixth, and finally, Four Aces, ponder this: how would you

>feel if you were one of those "nappy headed hos"?

THOSE nappy headed hos are not even in Imus demographics. They never heard the remarks. They were TOLD the remarks and how and why they should be insulted. Come on you really believe that these girls were listening to IMUS IN THE MORNING? I wonder though how they feel about the lyrics in the top 20 rap songs in the country. I'm sure you know those lyrics the ones where nearly every song calls the woman niggas, bitches, hos, and cuffed ... that s what I wonder about. How do they feel about their own community using such words to describe them. I'm sure you're getting ready right now to start a protest against R Kelly and the label that he records for, right?

>Is it even conceivable that you could even try to imagine how

>you'd feel?

I just answered this ... but to make sure you understood the answer I could care less if those remarks were aimed at me.

> Given the tenor of your post, and how smug and

>self-satisfied you seem having made a total fool out of

>yourself, I have my doubts. Stick to gambling, FourAces.

>Social commentary doesn't appear to be your long suit.

Well I did say I wish Rico were still doing his blog www.ricoreport.blogspot.com because I certainly cannot match his articulation skills.

And I MADE A TOTAL FOOL OF MYSELF? Come on I at least know the differenc between public and private airwaves. My 13y/o nephew knows the difference lol.

Guest twinklover

>Hmmmmmmmmm but you don't know the difference between...could

>and couldn't care less. do ya 4aces.

Taylor, good to see ya stomping around. Even if you're cum is as salty as your posts, I'll smear it all over if you gotta big load too. Keep on stomping around.

Poor old Rico is gone from this scene. He said he was leaving and I think he's gone. Don Imus certainly won't bring him back. We have become so fucking boring and predictable. Rico has lost all interest in us.

I do appreciate FA's contrary point of view and it's not racist per se--it is, as I said, merely "arguably racist". It serves simply to get everyone all riled up, much like one of FA's moderate-size stab-at-the-pot poker bets.

Guest FourAces

I happened to catch this amazing article and decided to share it. The author is black.

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

Guest eastburbguy

When I predicted last evening that CBS would soon follow suit and fire Imus' racist, sexist, bigoted ass, I had no idea it would happen so quickly. But then, this whole deal has been astonishing and really heartening to those of us in this country who had hopes that one day, FINALLY hate talk in the media, thinly disguised as nothing more than locker room joking around, would get its comeuppance and the tide would begin to turn.

The brilliant and touching remarks by the outstanding young women at Rutgers stood in stark contrast to the cheap no-class act that Imus will now have to find a new home for. (Rotsa Ruck, I-Man). The Rutgers women have already earned their place in history, not for what they wished it to be (their sports prowess), but for something far more valuable to our society: their supreme poise and grace will be long remembered for giving our society something to look up to and build on, while those of Imus' ilk and their fellow travelers and apologists begin their inevitable backslide into the dustbin of another era. I am so proud of those young women, I wish I had the good fortune to call any of them my daughter.

Similarly, Don Imus has now earned his place in history: notwithstanding his many good works, which I readily acknowledge, he will be remembered first and foremost for the ultimate disgrace he brought upon himself. May Rush Limbaugh be the next to fall. And then Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly, and Glenn Beck, and Ann Coulter, etc.

Their time has come and gone, and the years when they reigned supreme, spewing their hateful garbage, will be remembered as a dark chapter in America's past. The women of Rutgers have appealed to our better angels, and the public and even the media execs got the message.

Oh, and FourAces - has anyone ever told you that you do an excellent imitation of Tommy Smothers? }(

Guest eastburbguy

Just for the record, having recently retired after ten years as a member of the Board of a local Cable Commission, I am well aware of the distinction. However, in this instance, I submit it is a distinction without a difference. Clearly NBC and its cable subsidiary MSNBC, acted in response to a public outcry, just as CBS did today. :7

• Members

> However, in this instance, I

>submit it is a distinction without a difference.

From a regulaltory point of view it is a big difference IMO. I suspect the players would think so too.

As for: the public spoke and they listened, well I am dubious of that proposition. I suspect the threats of the vocal minority carried more sway than sheer numbers would support. Just my conjecture.

Guest eastburbguy

< From a regulaltory point of view it is a big difference IMO

I would insert the word, "traditional" before "regulatory" in your statement. The current Administration has thoroughly decimated even the quaint notion of abiding by statute when it comes to either promulgating or enforcing regulations. In that regard, even regulatory distinctions are without substantive differences.

Guest FourAces

I fail to see any great accomplishment that the girls did. The over one hour press conference in response to less than a 3 second bad joke said without any malice whatsoever was void of any historic moment.

Again this is a free speech issue not an issue of black and white. The fact a few slime-ball noted liars are the loud leaders of the black community is simply scary. Al Shrapton how come you weren't screaming when the black thug was bashing the pillbox hat off the 100 year old woman as she held on to her walker? You fucking slime piece of garbage how dare you turn Imus into a race issue.

I'm certain we will now see these same black leaders who screamed for charges in the Duke players cases now apologize, right? Oh wait that is right they have their own set of rules don't they?

btw I'm sure there is supposed to be a jab somewhere in your Tommy Smothers comment but sorry I can't find it.

Now why don't we all kick back and enjoy some of the poetic lyrics of black rap star and proud member of the black community 50 Cent. Tonight's selection will be How To Rob:

"How To Rob"

(feat. The Madd Rapper)

[Madd Rapper]

The art of getting robbed

This is how we do Brooklyn style boy you know what I'm sayin?

[50 Cent]

R.I.P B.I.G, R.I.P P-A-C, R.I.P enough of that, shit, it's time to OD

Aiyyo the bottom line is I'ma crook with a deal

If my record don't sell I'ma rob and steal

You better recognize nigga I'm straight from the street

These industry niggaz startin to look like somethin to eat

I'll snatch Kim and tell Puff, "You wanna see her again?"

Get your ass down to the nearest ATM

I have dreams of fuckin an R&B bitch

And I'll wake up early and bounce with all your shit

When I apply pressure,son it aint even funny

I'm about to stick Bobby for some of that Whitney money

Brian McKnight, I can get that nigga anytime

Have Keith sweatin starin down the barrel from my nine

Since these Harlem World niggaz seem to all be fam

I put the gun to Cardan tell him, "Tell your man

Mason Betha, haha, come up of that watch now

I mean right now"

The only excuse for being broke is bein in jail

An entertainer can't make bail if he broke as hell

I'd rob ODB but that'd be a waste of time

Probably have to clap him run and toss the nine

I'd follow Fox in the drop for four blocks

Plottin to juice her for that rock Kurupt copped

What Jigga just sold like 4 mil? He got somethin to live for

Don't want no nigga puttin four thru that Bentley Coupe door

I'll man handle Casã like "Duke get on the ground"

You ain't with Mary no more where gettin chips from now?

I been skeamin on Tone and Poke since they found me

Steve know not to wear that platinum shit around me

I'm a klepto nah for real son I'm sick

I'm bout to stick Slick Rick for all that old school shit

Right now I'm bent and when I get like this I don't think

About to make Stevie J take off that tight ass mink

I'll rob Pun without a gun snatch his piece then run

This nigga weigh 400 pounds, how he gon catch me son?

[Madd Rapper]

[(Chorus) 2x]

This aint serious

Being broke can make you delirious

So we rob and steal so our ones can be bigger

50 Cent how it feel to rob and industry nigga?

[50 Cents]

Ill catch P and Silk The Shocker right after the Grammies

And Will Smith and Jada ass down in Miami

Run up on Timberland and Missy w/the pound

Like you gimme the cash and u put the hot dog down

I figured it out

Been robbin Joe before that's why his ass

don't wanna be a playa no more

Mad at you I'm robbin J.D., FUCK YOU!! PAY ME!!

Had Da Brat with em, shoulda had his gat with him

DMX wanna get down well you tell homey

I'm on that Treach shit, I do my +Dirt All By My Lonely+

I should rob Clue man his shit did well

I wanna stick TQ but his shit ain't sell

I hit the studios take niggaz jewels and leave

Catch Rae Ghost and RZA for them funny ass rings

Tell Sticky gimme the cash before I empty three

Ill beat your ass like that white boy on MTV

Cannibus wanna battle while I'm stickin them up

Fuck the cab the coroners pickin him up

Heavy tried to hide his shit, nigga try to stall ya

He said "Why you robbin me I got _Nuttin But Love_ for ya!"

Caught Juvenile for his Cash Money piece

Told him I want it all he said, "Even my gold teeth?"

I caught Blackstreet on a back street in a black jeep

One at a time get out and take off your shine

Did you ever think that you would be this rich?

Did you ever think that you would have these hits?

Did you ever think that I'd flash the nine?

And walk off with your shit like it's mine?

I'ma keep stickin niggas until I'm livin'

I'll rob Boys II Men like I'm Michael Bivins

Catch Tyson for half that cash like Robyn Givens

I'm hungry for real im bout to stick Mister C

That nigga still eatin off Big's first LP

I had Busta and the whole Flipmode on the floor

He asked me if I had enuff I told him "Gimme Some More"

Is you feelin this? Then wait for the sequel

I gotta get Kirk Franklin for robbin Gods People

[Madd Rapper]

[chorus]

For real yo you know what I'm sayin?

Niggas got to get stuck up that's just how it goes down

It don't matter if you an industry nigga or a regular nigga

It don't matter, if you got it and I need it I want it

50 Cents ain't fuckin around

Track Masters ain't fuckin around

Crazy Cat ain't fuckin around

The Madd Rapper aint fuckin around

So watch your backs, watch your pocket book, watch your pockets

Watch everybody on the train, watch everybody on the bus

Cause we gonna get you whether you like it or not

ONE SET OF RULES FOR BLACK PEOPLE, ANOTHER FOR WHITE PEOPLE.

Guest FourAces

>Hmmmmmmmmm but you don't know the difference between...could

>and couldn't care less. do ya 4aces.

Taylor have I ever given you the impression that I care what you care about? If you feel I have please be assured that your perception was wrong.

Guest eastburbguy

< btw I'm sure there is supposed to be a jab somewhere in your Tommy Smothers comment but sorry I can't find it.

Why am I not surprised? x(

AMERICA is watching Don Imus’s self-immolation in a state of shock and awe. And I’m watching America with wry amusement.

Since I’m a second-class citizen — a gay man — my seats for the ballgame of American discourse are way back in the bleachers. I don’t have to wait long for a shock jock or stand-up comedian to slip up with hateful epithets aimed at me and mine. Hate speak against homosexuals is as commonplace as spam. It’s daily traffic for those who profess themselves to be regular Joes, men of God, public servants who live off my tax dollars, as well as any number of celebrities.

In fact, I get a good chuckle whenever someone refers to “the media” as an agent of “the gay agenda.” There are entire channels, like Spike TV, that couldn’t fill an hour of programming if required to remove their sexist and homophobic content. We’ve got a president and a large part of Congress willing to change the Constitution so they can deprive of us our rights because they feel we are not “normal.”

So I’m used to catching foul balls up here in the cheap seats. What I am really enjoying is watching the rest of you act as if you had no idea that prejudice was alive and well in your hearts and minds.

For the past two decades political correctness has been derided as a surrender to thin-skinned, humorless, uptight oversensitive sissies. Well, you anti-politically correct people have won the battle, and we’re all now feasting on the spoils of your victory. During the last few months alone we’ve had a few comedians spout racism, a basketball coach put forth anti-Semitism and several high-profile spoutings of anti-gay epithets.

What surprises me, I guess, is how choosy the anti-P.C. crowd is about which hate speech it will not tolerate. Sure, there were voices of protest when the TV actor Isaiah Washington called a gay colleague a “faggot.” But corporate America didn’t pull its advertising from “Grey’s Anatomy,” as it did with Mr. Imus, did it? And when Ann Coulter likewise tagged a presidential candidate last month, she paid no real price.

In fact, when Bill Maher discussed Ms. Coulter’s remarks on his HBO show, he repeated the slur no fewer than four times himself; each mention, I must note, solicited a laugh from his audience. No one called for any sort of apology from him. (Well, actually, I did, so the following week he only used it once.)

Face it, if a Pentagon general, his salary paid with my tax dollars, can label homosexual acts as “immoral” without a call for his dismissal, who are the moral high and mighty kidding?

Our nation, historically bursting with generosity toward strangers, remains remarkably unkind toward its own. Just under our gleaming patina of inclusiveness, we harbor corroding guts. America, I tell you that it doesn’t matter how many times you brush your teeth. If your insides are rotting your breath will stink. So, how do you people choose which hate to embrace, which to forgive with a wink and a week in rehab, and which to protest? Where’s my copy of that rule book?

Let me cite a non-volatile example of how prejudice can cohabit unchecked with good intentions. I am a huge fan of David Letterman’s. I watch the opening of his show a couple of times a week and have done so for decades. Without fail, in his opening monologue or skit Mr. Letterman makes a joke about someone being fat. I kid you not. Will that destroy our nation? Should he be fired or lose his sponsors? Obviously not.

But I think that there is something deeper going on at the Letterman studio than coincidence. And, as I’ve said, I cite this example simply to illustrate that all kinds of prejudice exist in the human heart. Some are harmless. Some not so harmless. But we need to understand who we are if we wish to change. (In the interest of full disclosure, I should confess to not only being a gay American, but also a fat one. Yes, I’m a double winner.)

I urge you to look around, or better yet, listen around and become aware of the prejudice in everyday life. We are so surrounded by expressions of intolerance that I am in shock and awe that anyone noticed all these recent high-profile instances. Still, I’m gladdened because our no longer being deaf to them may signal their eventual eradication.

The real point is that you cannot harbor malice toward others and then cry foul when someone displays intolerance against you. Prejudice tolerated is intolerance encouraged. Rise up in righteousness when you witness the words and deeds of hate, but only if you are willing to rise up against them all, including your own. Otherwise suffer the slings and arrows of disrespect silently.

By HARVEY FIERSTEIN

Published: April 13, 2007

NY Times Op Ed