TotallyOz

Delectable Drag Queens

Becoming a drag queen is all about trying to become a star, show your glamour and shake your booty for the masses. While not everyone can become a divine Miss Thang, some stars do burn brightly.

It’s always good to have role models, no matter what you aspire to. So in that vein, we’d like to give you the low down on some of the most fagulous dragtastic queens ever to grace the thrown.

These ladies of the night thrill our hearts, harden our cocks and make us cum back for more!

Prepare to get divalicious!

Miss Understood

Alex Heimberg, from Levittown, New York, turned himself into Miss Understood in the early 1980s and became a star at the fabulous Wigstock Festival. She is the spokes model for Screaming Queens Entertainment. She has appeared in To Wong Fu, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, Sex and the City and HBO’s Dragtime.

Lady Bunny

Also known as John Ingle, Lady Bunny is a fixture in the Atlanta gay and drag scene and the founder of the Wigstock Festival. She came out of the same drag culture as the fabulous RuPaul and is known for her disco dance song parodies. Lady Bunny looks a lot like Pamela Anderson and was at the g- girl’s (genetic girl) hilarious roast.

She is a fixture on Pink TV and has appeared in To Wong Fu, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar, Peoria, Babylon and Wigstock The Movie. Her most famous song is “Shame! Shame! Shame!”

Divine

Divine is probably the most well known drag queen outside of the gay community. She has been featured in nearly every single John Water’s film, including the infamous Pink Flamingos and the more mainstream Hairspray.

Unlike many drag performers, Divine made no attempt to be attractive at all. In fact, she was morbidly obese and wore makeup like a six year old girl on acid who had just stolen her mother’s purse.

In 1988, Divine almost broke into mainstream television when she was hired to play Peggy Bundy’s mother on Fox Television’s Married With Children. Unfortunately, she unexpectedly died of sleep apnea at the age of 42 before filming could begin.

Still, Divine remains a drag icon and an inspiration to us all. She proved that you don’t have to be beautiful to be fabulous.

Dame Edna Everage

Dame Edna, known in the straight world as Barry Humphries, is the most famous British drag queen. She’s older than most of the panty princesses and is known for her lilac and grey hair.

Dame Edna is played for laughs, and unlike many other drag performers insists that Humphries, her creator, does not exist.

Harvey Fierstein

Harvey Firestein straddles the line between ultimate gay camp and full on drag fagulousness. While not always in drag when he is performing, he always projects a strong feminine side.

Fierstein became famous in Broadway’s Torch Song Trilogy. Since then he has been featured on The Simpsons, Independence Day, Cheers, and the remake of The Year Without A Santa Claus. Firestein also wrote the classic drag musical La Cage Aux Folles.

Lypsynka

Born John Epperson, Lypsynka, is a Mississippi native known for singing along to outrageous classic musical standards. She first came to fame as a member of New York’s Vampire Lesbian’s of Sodom. Her latest victory was playing the Wicked Stepmother in Roger and Hammerstein’s Cinderella.

RuPaul

RuPaul came out of the Atlanta gay and drag community and became a superstar with top 40 singles and MTV videos that let the world knew he was ready to be loved.

A fabulous black queen, RuPaul has never been as catty or bitchy as his sisters and has in fact told people that they should all “love one another.” He has recorded “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” as a duet with Elton John and been signed to a model for MAC Cosmetics.

She is most famous for appearing on VH1 in “The RuPaul Show.”

The Lady Chablis

The Lady Chablis is famous for her appearance in the Hollywood movie “The Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil.”

She is the most famous drag queen in Savanna, Georgia, and has taken the step of becoming a pre-opt transsexual. She has yet to say whether or not she has had the full operation.

These are just a few of the fabulous drag queens that have come to warm our hearts and stiffen our cocks!

Get ready to put your make up on and maybe one day you can join their royal court!

Madam Ovary aka TotallyOz

cc 2007 Drag.com

How I adore Miss Understood! She came and served vodka shots out of her breasts at one of my old parties in NYC. Good times and fun memories!

So many names I could add to the list, but I'm not even going to start because I'm not sure where I would stop. :P

• Members

Thanks, AdamSmith!

If Shirley Q. Liquor tickles your fancy, you might also enjoy another of her creator's alter-egos, Betty Butterfield:

bbbbb-770302.jpg

SmallTownJohn turned me on to this "mad, maudlin and medicated" lady, one of many things for which I am indebted to him.

Holy crap! I remember when that "Abbalicious" album came out! That's back when I was getting started as a performer in NYC and performing week after week at Starsearch hosted by Cashetta (with nothing more than a dream, a tiny bit of talent, and a metro card to get back to Brooklyn). Fun memories!

Guest StuCotts

Having all the wrong looks and none of the right talent or inclination, I've always known I would be totally hopeless in drag. Still, in moments of grassy inspiration it has very occasionally occurred to me that it would be giggly to do a broad, burlesque rumbera act using the name Bessie Mae Mucho. Happily for the world, it will never come to pass.