Guest comment

Danger Will Robinson

Guest comment

CNN Money has released a list of the most dangerous states. Several of the rankings came as a surprise to me.

Rank State 2006 Rank

1 Nevada 1

2 New Mexico 3

3 Arizona 4

4 Maryland 5

5 Tennessee 8

6 South Carolina 6

7 Alaska 9

8 Florida 7

9 California 10

10 Louisiana 2

11 Michigan 12

12 Texas 11

13 Arkansas 15

14 Washington 16

15 Oklahoma 14

16 North Carolina 17

17 Alabama 18

18 Delaware 24

19 Missouri 20

20 Georgia 13

21 Illinois 19

22 Colorado 22

23 Ohio 23

24 Mississippi 21

25 Indiana 28

Rank State 2006 Rank

26 Pennsylvania 29

27 Kansas 25

28 Hawaii 26

29 Oregon 27

30 Massachusetts 30

31 New York 31

32 Minnesota 35

33 New Jersey 32

34 Kentucky 33

35 Rhode Island 38

36 Virginia 37

37 Nebraska 34

38 Utah 36

39 Idaho 40

40 Connecticut 39

41 West Virginia 41

42 Wisconsin 44

43 Iowa 43

44 Montana 42

45 South Dakota 45

46 Wyoming 46

47 New Hampshire 47

48 Maine 49

49 Vermont 48

50 North Dakota 50

51 Pluto :P

Guest comment

>Dangerous for what? Crime? Or Loosing money?

Nevada could qualify for both ^_^ But the survey ranks crime. Here is a brief explanation that accompanied the chart.

Nevada takes the top spot for most dangerous state for the fourth year in a row; North Dakota ranks as the safest.

For the fourth year in a row, Nevada has earned the dubious distinction of being the most dangerous state in America, according to a survey published Thursday.

Based on annual statistics, Nevada had the highest crime rate among the 50 states across the country, according to Morgan Quitno Press, an independent researcher in Lawrence, Kansas, which publishes the rankings annually.

"The story for Nevada remains the same as in previous years," Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, remarked in the report. "As a rapidly growing state, it struggles with crime and other problems. It has some of the highest murder, robbery and motor vehicle theft rates in the country."

The survey, which did not include the District of Columbia, looked at rates from 2005 for six major crimes including murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary and auto theft, comparing those to the national average.

Neighboring Southwestern states New Mexico and Arizona joined Nevada as second and third most dangerous states across the country, followed by Maryland and Tennessee.

North Dakota ranked as the safest state this year, making it the 10th time in the last 14 years the state has earned the honor.

Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and Wyoming also ranked as some of the safest states, according to the survey.

They didn't list Washington D.C. I would have thought it would be number one, just based on two people who spend a lot of time there. Bush and Cheney.

Guest CTDick

>I suspect North Dakota made the list only because of a

>suicide. I doubt they will be listed next year. Is there

>anyone left? :P

That really isn't funny. :-( There is a good chance of being run down by a herd of buffalo, and THAT is serious business. :o

Dick

• Members

> There is a good chance of being

>run down by a herd of buffalo, and THAT is serious business.

>:o

>

Dick,

I douldn't agree more. I was eye to eye on the open range with a great American Bison twenty years back... Well, twenty yards or so away -- it seemed eye to eye. I backed off and gave wide berth. Not only are they as big as a garage, they are not the cuddling type. I still recall the snorting and head shaking and rolling. :o