Guest StuCotts

The State Within

Guest StuCotts

That's the name of an unnoticed new 6-hour British miniseries showing on BBC America. I love the performances and writing. It's about vile carryings-on at pretty high levels of government here and in England, with the exotic touch of a transparently disguised ex-Soviet republic run by a brutal despot thrown in. The black hats outnumber the white overwhelmingly, and they keep as busy as bees.

Interestingly, among the hissable villains are two who stand out because they are gay, they are hot kissers, they share a bed and they are nasty even to each other. I lust for them both, especially the American. I hope the writers don't cop out and show them in the end to have been closet do-gooders.

Also interesting is the performance of Sharon Gless, as a sort of Donald Rumsfeld with tits: a rip-snorter that leaves no scenery standing.

I would recommend this to anybody who can catch it from the beginning. Coming in in the middle and hoping to reconstruct what went before from context would just be bewildering.

Guest Funseeker22

Stu, Glad that you have time to watch the tube now and again. wink*

I agree that it`s a great show and am looking forward to the final episode this weekend. This is a show that you need to see from the beginning -it`s hard enough to keep up with the pace even if you watched it from minute one. Great acting by all. I do wonder though how the two gay guys could be in such highly sensitive jobs with such a close relationship.

Guest StuCotts

>Stu, Glad that you have time to watch the tube now and again.

>wink*

Time management is everything.

I do wonder though how the two gay guys could be in such

>highly sensitive jobs with such a close relationship.

As I see it, even the best script writers are obliged to be occasionally arbitrary to keep the story going or to make a point. I'm glad that these writers chose to be arbitrary in this part of the story, for which I cheerfully suspend the hell out of my disbelief.