BenjaminNicholas

Anna Nicole Smith: 1968-2007

• Members

It is sad when anyone passes on. But when you get sucked into that type of lifestyle (the drink and drugs) and don't have the power to say no what do you expect? It will be interesting to see the "official" cause of her passing. I've always gotten bad vibes from her lawyer friend Howard. Something about him just isn't right.

Hugs,

Greg

Guest Riptide

>She was only 39 years old. How incredibly tragic. She was

>truly a caring and generous person...

As Greg has already expressed, whenever anyone dies and esp so young, it is very sad indeed. I do hope she is in a better place.

But incredibly tragic? Sorry, I'm not buying that for a minute. Anna Nicole Smith was a publicity whore who sold her soul to Hollywierd to the highest bidders and there were many. She manipulated an 80+ year old man to leave his multi-million dollar estate to her. She was, as many have today stated, "dumb as a fox" which should tell anyone with a clue, that she knew exactly what she was doing and controlled most every moment of it. She has been a train wreck in the works since 1993.

What's "incredibly tragic" to me, is the fact that she allowed her 20 year old deceased son Daniel, to remain "on ice" in a coroner's cooler for over two weeks after his death and release, as she publicly partied like Britney, got married and then honeymooned with her current sleaze ball husband, all the while leaving the dead to remain unburied. What kind of mother does that? No, what kind of Person does that? I realize that we all grieve differently, but give me a fucking break.

Perhaps when Ben's "blog-block" leaves him, he can share with us his personal stories of Anna's "truly caring and generous qualities" which I haven't heard one word of, in the past, or even today, post death.

I do hope that Anna Nicole Smith can finally find peace, if only in death. And I look forward to a thorough investigation into Howard K. Sterns activities by all police officials, which would be of course, standard procedure...

• Members

>She was only 39 years old. How incredibly tragic. She was

>truly a caring and generous person...

>

>The 'Anna' that most saw on her reality show (and in

>subsequent courtroom appearances) was only one, very small,

>side of her personality.

>

>She'll be missed.

But she will probably be remembered, and always mentioned with her name, if she is found to have died by other than natural causes.

I don't mean to disrespect her but the TV News channels fascination with her death, even major networks using screen scrolls was a bit much. All Anna Nicole all the time and many major important people get hardly a mention. Surely this was NOT the top news story of the day.

Guest Riptide

You can't even make this kind of shit up folks....

Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband is now claiming that HE might be the father of Nicole's 6 month old baby girl and will go to court to fight for her if Larry Birkhead is given custody.

Now this gives a new slant to the old movie "Three men and a baby"

"She was only 39 years old. How incredibly tragic. She was truly a caring and generous person..." ROFL!

Hell, if Sugarpie was the heir to the Marshall fortune, people would be coming out of the woodwork claiming to be its father.

As for ANS, she was clearly intruding on someone else's 15 minutes of fame. Hers had long ago expired.

Guest euroskater21

On occasions such as this I'm reassured getting rid of cable TV was the right decision - no coverage of this crass story on the BBC or TV5.

At first I consider Riptides posting a little harsh but on reflection, he hit the "nail on the head". The reaction of most outside of this culturally challenged nation is "Anna Nicole who?" and they're better off for their ignorance.

Guest Riptide

Michael Jackson has just released a statement claiming that HE is the father of Anna Nicole's daughter.....

Ok, not really. But it wouldn't be surprising......:-)

Guest epigonos

The thing I find most upsetting about this entire Anna Nicole Smith nonsense is the amount of time the media is spending on her death. It is, in my opinion, a sad commentary on our contemporary society that people are obviously so interested in this sleazy nobody that all forms of media have become fixated on her life and her death. I am sincerely appalled, though not suprised, that people have so little else in which to be interested.

• Members

is pretty much complete.

>The thing I find most upsetting about this entire Anna Nicole

>Smith nonsense is the amount of time the media is spending on

>her death. It is, in my opinion, a sad commentary on our

>contemporary society...

Yes sad indeed.

She was a part of the comtemporary scene and as such deserved mention on the News outlets. But certainly no more than Jean Kirkpatrick recieved. I mention Ms Kirkpatrick's coverage as an upper limit. In no way am I equating their importance only their notariety, for much different reasons.

24 hour Cable News is now 24 hour Electronic Tabloid TV. It has been for a while (since OJ) but this week was a cross between a coming out party and a public christening.

Substance has completely given way to its hollow image.

Brilliantly if ponderously analyzed in...

The Society of the Spectacle is a dense, polemical, and poetic work of philosophy first published in 1967 by the situationist and Marxist theorist, Guy Debord.

In two hundred and twenty-one theses divided into nine chapters, Debord traces the development of a modern society in which "All that was once directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing." This condition in which authentic social life has been replaced with its image represents, according to Debord, that "historical moment at which the commodity completes its colonization of social life." The spectacle is the inverted image of society in which relations between commodities have supplanted relations between people, in which passive identification with the spectacle supplants genuine activity. "The spectacle is not a collection of images," Debord writes. "rather, it is a social relationship between people that is mediated by images."

The pernicious genius of the spectacle is its ability to mobilize the image of what it actually militates against. When the promise of the Russian Revolution, for example, was betrayed by a self-interested bureaucracy, "an image of the working class arose in radical opposition to the working class itself." Similarly, in advanced capitalist countries, mass produced commodities are marketed for their singularity, as if individuality could be achieved by millions of people buying the same useless product. In both instances, the spectacle inverts reality in order to pacify potential opposition. It is an inverted image of the real that nonetheless has real effects.

The Society of the Spectacle provides an extensive reinterpretation of Marx’s work, most notably in its application of commodity fetishism to contemporary mass media. It also expands the concept of alienation to include far more than labor activity, and exposes the common spectacular politics of Soviet and American regimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Spectacle

Text available here:

http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/debord/

Guest euroskater21

Very profound! I usually get my intellectual stimulation from The Atlantic or the Guardian.

I'm a wee bit unsettled by the reference to Jean Fitzpatrick in this thread. The former ambassador did get a substantial obit in the NY Times - luckily my morning breakfeast has yet to be spoiled by any such coverage for Ms Smith.

I'm curious is where this collapse in media values will lead? If imagery replaces substance and soundbites replace logical debate, where do we as a society end? Perhaps a critical point will be reached where a local groundswell of opinion cries "halt"? For my part, I'm contacting any company I do business with to complain if they advertise on Fox News and I've dropped my cable service opting instead for direct services from the BBC and TV5.

Ok, back to Corbin Fisher.com! grrrr