Lucky

Bombs in Bangkok

• Members

New Year's Eve bombers hit Bangkok today, causing two deaths and several injuries as six bombs went off in the city. No word on KyTop, but I think he was in Pattaya for New Year's eve.

2 Die, 20 Hurt As Bombings Hit Bangkok

By DENIS D. GRAY

The Associated Press

Sunday, December 31, 2006; 9:35 AM

BANGKOK, Thailand -- At least six bomb blasts rocked the Thai capital late Sunday, killing at least two people and prompting the city to disperse thousands of people who had gathered to celebrate New Year's Eve.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombings, which capped a year of unrest in Thailand, including a military coup three months ago and a mounting Muslim insurgency in its southernmost provinces.

National police chief Gen. Ajirawit Suphanaphesat confirmed six explosions on the iTV television network and said authorities were inspecting several more locations where there were suspicious packages. He said the insurgents were probably not behind Sunday's attacks, which injured at least 20 people.

The capital's most spectacular New Year's celebration, at the Central World Plaza shopping mall complex, was canceled and authorities told thousands of celebrants to leave. Hotels stepped up security, searching cars on their premises.

Police Lt. Gen. Chongrak Juranond said one person died at Chulalongkorn hospital. Another police officer, Lt. Col. Teerawit Butsaban, said a second person succumbed to injuries at another hospital.

Dr. Surachet Sathitniramai, a senior health ministry official, said more than 20 people had been hospitalized at four hospitals in Bangkok.

Ajirawit said six people were injured by a bomb in a slum, and four by a bomb near a department store at Victory Monument, a major traffic circle. He said the other blasts were near a police post, where two were injured, and the fourth in a northern suburb.

"I heard a loud explosion and I thought it was fireworks. I ran there and saw a bleeding woman at the bus stop," said Somrak Manphothong, a receptionist at the Saxophone bar near the Victory Monument. "Another guy was lying on the floor covering with blood and his wife was shaking his body."

The police chief said that "the situation remains under control."

Bombings and shootings occur almost daily in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, where an Islamic insurgency that flared in January 2004 has killed more than 1,900 people.

Muslims make up the majority in overwhelmingly Buddhist Thailand's deep south, where they have long complained of discrimination. The insurgents are not known to have launched any attacks in Bangkok.

Thailand has also been immersed in political turmoil.

In September, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted in a bloodless coup by Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin. The military installed Surayud Chulanont as the interim prime minister until elections in October 2007.

• Members

>New Year's Eve bombers hit Bangkok today, causing two deaths

>and several injuries as six bombs went off in the city. No

>word on KyTop, but I think he was in Pattaya for New Year's

>eve.

Yes I am in Pattaya and all is normal here except the international phone lines are jammed. Tried to call the kids and let them know I'm ok.

I understand the airport may be jammed when I try to leave on the 2nd with people trying to leave the country. Britain has warned Brits to not travel witin the city. I fear this country is in for a period of instability as opposition to the coup is starting to surface and the newspapers are starting to question the military leaders.

I've tried to report a few times on my trip but internet has been down or slow and times out after the Earthquake damaged undersea cables to Asia.

Having a blast BTW and spent much time with "MY BOYS" plus met a few new ones. }(

Welcomed in the New Year with 3 guys, including the DJ from Dream boys who I knew from when he danced there. Public fireworks and Hotel fireworks.:+

• Members

>KYTOP,

>

>It seems your reputation for being in the wrong place and the

>wrong time remains intact. :+ Thankfully you were at the

>beach.

>

>Wishing you a safe and uneventful trip home.

>

>TY

Home safely, miss my guys already. Thanks for the thoughts.