Guest splash4

Sending gift to Thai boy from the US.

Guest splash4

Just returned home from my first trip to Thailand. I am still having withdrawal symptoms as I don't know if I can still live my previous lifestyle. Very hard to think of work when I constantly dream of setting in Wild West Boys or Splash. Just wish I had discovered Thai heaven earlier in life.

Would like to send some kind of small gift to a special Thai boy. Has anyone found anything that is either not available to a Thai boy or would be appreciated as a gift from the US.

Obviously US dollars, but I want him to have something that he would keep around a while.

And, is there any problems with US mail or would you suggest FedEx or UPS for Pattaya.

Any suggesstions appreciated.

Guest buaseng

And, is there any problems with US mail or would you suggest FedEx or UPS for Pattaya.

Any suggesstions appreciated.

There is probably no problem with the US mail but things, and particularly attractive parcels or inviting looking envelopes, addressed to boys (or girls), are prone to disappear in the Thai mail system, or disappear after they have been delivered to an address which the boy may be sharing with several other boys.

FedEx or UPS may be a better bet but I don't know how the delivery system for these companies works to private addresses in Thailand - no doubt someone here will give the details. I do know that Ambience and Le Cafe Royale get FedEx deliveries quite regularly. One possible suggestion is to have the parcel posted to the hotel you stayed in (after firstly making arrangements with them and getting their agreement). The boy could then be told to collect it from there.

However, these companies may have a perfectly acceptable delivery system to private adddresses.

IMHO I would avoid sending anything through the normal mail system. You may be lucky but there have been far too many reports of mail items mysteriously going missing once they get into the Thai mail system.

As for what to send - what about a genuine US branded shirt or jeans or trainers instead of the copies which are just about all most boys can afford or can find at a reasonable price in Thailand?

Guest luvthai

I doubt that any package you send will make it to the boy.. Once they see a return USA address on it it just disappears. Best bet is locate someone going over and have him hand deliver it for you. Don't be upset if you find out he did not keep your gift as they consider gifts like an insurance policy and they cash it in when they need money.

Guest thrillbill8

Yikes, you must be new to this kind of Thai-boy Romance... He can get anything here a bit cheaper, so he would appreciate cash...send it via Western Union-he will give you the info that you need. Sending packages is best with DHL, UPS, Fed EXpress... not the US post office that can only guarantee it to BKK. But the cost is probably worth more than the contents. I'd say send him some photographs of you two and some money.

Guest fountainhall

One thing you must be aware of is the tax that may have to be paid by the boy before he can receive your gift! Provided you have the correct name and an exact address (and Thai addresses can be notoriously long) AND a contact phone number, I have never had any problem receiving many Fedex, UPS, DHL packets and parcels in Bangkok. But using courier companies requires the items - and their original price - to be listed on the manifest, and unfortunately many items you might want to send will attract local tax on arrival. I doubt if many guys will thank you if they have to pay even the basic 7% local sales tax on a genuine pair of jeans or trainers.

Far better to find someone who is coming over and can deliver your gift personally - as suggested by luvthai. Failing that, just send cash through a bank. It will be very warmly welcomed. NEVER send anything by regular mail.

I agree with Luvthai. You just never know with packages. I've received expected packages and there were also some I never received. Even when I went to the post office to make an inquiry I was told the inquiry has to be generated from the USA. When I asked the sender to inquire, he was told it has to be handled from Thailand. They were able to trace the fact that the package made it as far as Thailand, but once it is in Thai hands there is nothing more they can do.

Luvthai's suggestion is a good one if you can find someone willing to deliver whatever it is. If you cannot, then I really think the best thing for you to do is send a cash gift to the boy, which will be far more appreciated than anything else you might send, and bring a true gift on your next trip. But give him the sentimental gift and a cash gift along with it if you truly want it to be appreciated.

Fountainhall is also correct about the tax. I ended up paying tax on a packet I sent to myself from the USA when I was in the process of moving here, which was too big to carry on an airplane, and the tax was nearly 4000 baht. That was more than I paid for it in the first place and I even had a receipt for the original purchase.

A gift suggestion that you can carry personally is brand name jeans. They love receiving things like that.

Guest luvthai

Brand name jeans= Levi501's I have never met a thai that didn't want a pair of Levi 501's toher than that I would suggest cologne. I will be over in April if I can help you let me know.

Guest splash4

I sincererly appreciate the info. I was ready to go with the USPS Global Priority mail until reading these posting. The address from Thai boy that I did get before leaving is obviously a shared one etc etc. Also, I never considered the paying of a duty. He could not handle that.

Sure would be nice to let the good guys (Thai Boy) know that they meant more to me than a brief interlude in their working day.

Bottom line, I'm hooked and need to arrange another trip and a longer one. Thanks Again...

Sure would be nice to let the good guys (Thai Boy) know that they meant more to me than a brief interlude in their working day.

You can still send a cash gift. I believe doing that through the Niddy's Nook service is your best bet, assuming the boy is in Pattaya. It's the easiest and least expensive way.

You could also send via Western Union. For that you would need the boy's actual first and last name and you would also have to let him know in advance how much to expect and you would have to provide him with the control number for him to be able to retrieve the money.

Based on your post, I'm guessing that you were in Pattaya for a one or two week holiday, got to know this boy, and are now somewhat infatuated. The odds are that your feelings are one-sided and the boy thinks of you only as another customer, if he's thinking of you at all. It would be wonderful if things were different, but they rarely are.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A cash gift is what these boy appreciate more than anything else. With that, he can buy what he wants, use it to pay his rent, send it home to mama, or whatever he wants to do with it. The trouble is that when you send a cash gift you've also opened the door for the pleas for money to start. Again, the odds are that's just what will happen and will likely ruin your relationship with him before you return. Unfortunately, in the majority of cases no matter how much you send, it's never enough.

I think the best thing for you to do between now and when you return is to forget about gifts at all. You are probably much better off with a phone call every so often. In the long run, so is he. If you want to write a letter, I would be happy to receive it for you by PM or E-mail, ask my boyfriend to translate it into Thai, and personally deliver it to the boy if you can tell me how to find him or have a phone number for him. Limiting it to a few phone calls or a letter will certainly communicate your sentiments and will prevent the usual money issues from getting started.

I think the Levis 401 jeans is the best thing to do regarding an actual gift. If you can find someone willing to bring them over and give them to the boy, that's fine. If not, you can bring them yourself next trip. In the meantime, I suggest limiting anything else to phone calls, E-mail, or a letter.

Guest buaseng

I think the Levis 401 jeans is the best thing to do regarding an actual gift. If you can find someone willing to bring them over and give them to the boy, that's fine. If not, you can bring them yourself next trip. In the meantime, I suggest limiting anything else to phone calls, E-mail, or a letter.

That's fine as a gift. However, it does raise other problems - do you know the boy's waist size, inside leg measurement etc? Also what 'style' he actually likes.

I took my b/s to Robinsons in BKK to buy Levis. We were there for over an hour while he decided what style he wanted (it was a far worse experience than it ever was shopping with my ex-wife !!).