Gaybutton

Update on Gaypattayan's Condition

I received the following in an E-mail. I am posting the significant portions of that E-mail. Also, by sheer coincidence, last night I was dropping off a friend at the condo at which both he and GP reside. At that moment Ken (GP's Thai boyfriend) and GP were coming out of the condo. It was obvious that he was in bad shape again. That was a difficult moment to bear because only a few days before, just after his operation, he seemed to be in such good shape and good spirits:

_____

He is very ill again and has gone grey faced even more than Monday when I saw him. Wally, Ken & Wayne were there today and Allen has lost all brain power cannot remember safe or cards pins or numbers and they were out of food again. A safe man is on his way to get in it for allens cash and cards???

Ken took Allen to see Doc yesterday and had to pay 6500 baht. Just had enough in his pocket. It now appears that the 10% is only for IN-patient care nothing to do with his outpatient bills which he has to pay.

We have authorised a payment of 50000 baht to cover immediate bills and Ken and Wayne are sorting this but as for the long term Wally has his doubts, but Allen has recovered before. All we can do now is see to immediate bills and pray for the best. He goes to hospital again tomorrow.

We have authorised a payment of 50000 baht to cover immediate bills and Ken and Wayne are sorting this but as for the long term Wally has his doubts, but Allen has recovered before. All we can do now is see to immediate bills and pray for the best. He goes to hospital again tomorrow.

Don't forget, if you can't help tomorrow. Go to...

Sat Feb 10 Benefit for Allen at Le Cafe Royale Boyz Town.

Poster out this week it will be Maisie Trollette in Cabaret and a Raffle and Champagne Auction courtesy of David of La Cage and Peter Storrow of Throb.

Special 5 course dinner for 590 baht for those who wish and open to all for show at 10.30pm Bookings now taken on 038 423 515.

If you are unable to help by going to a benefit don't forget...

"Spice" Magazine - for they have kindly made their secure bank server available to process Visa and MasterCard Credit Card donations for the Allen Briggs Medical Care Fund.

The information is now on their webpages:

http://www.spicemag.net/?page=Allen .

Just go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Donate Visa MasterCard" logo.

Has there been any thought to asking if Allen/GayPattayan is content with details of his very personal ~ it seems to me ~ medical condition(s) being splashed all over (at least) 3 public message boards?

For me, this orgy of discussion over details of an individual's sicknesses, treatments, invasive procedures is hugely intrusive, bordering on voyeuristic ( e.g. " ... the Cranium Tap seems to be working ... " )

Cheers ...

Has there been any thought to asking if Allen/GayPattayan is content with details of his very personal ~ it seems to me ~ medical condition(s) being splashed all over (at least) 3 public message boards?

For me, this orgy of discussion over details of an individual's sicknesses, treatments, invasive procedures is hugely intrusive, bordering on voyeuristic ( e.g. " ... the Cranium Tap seems to be working ... " )

Cheers ...

Smiles. I am very aware of what you say but I am doing what I can in the only way I know, right or wrong. Allen is not comprehendable for most of the time so it is difficult to ask him what he thinks, I could tell you more but want to limit this. His close friends have agreed to this appeal as the only way out. Some private email content has been used in good faith publically and to avoid finger pointing I have now included it in my web page on Allen. The urgent need is still CASH and without recounting his medical situation how do you make it an emergency?

Hi topmanb,

My take only .... in response to a query of mine which raised the issue of publising Allen's intimate & personal medical problems in order to add to the necessity for the "need" of the fund raising campaign.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" ... I know the above might sound a bit blunt, but having been in the past close to people who were trying to raise money for the medical bills of an unfortunate individual in a similar situation, I know how hard it is to get people to donate, and the only way to do it is to make it clear exactly how serious the illness is, and what the money is needed for ... "

Hi Ronan,

I am not trying to be insensitive to the medical travails of Allen in these sad days, but my comments have nothing to do with the various money-raising posts which are at the moment flooding the Board(s): frankly. I hope they do fabulously in the money-raisin' department.

My questionings were strictly regarding the personal dignity being left behind ( in this case, Allen's ).

Sorry, but were I very sick, and very public, and very admired ~ and perhaps even very broke ~ I doubt I would enjoy having my innard's bloodied entrails (both physical & psychological) splayed all over the WWW, much like on an episode of 'CSI', or 'General Hospital', or the graphic depiction of hangin' drawin' & quarterin' in the latest edition of Helen Mirren's wonderful depictment of 'Elizabeth I'.

There is something in the many breathless postings of TraverlerJim and jinks, and etc etc etc which (unfortunately) smacks of a Jerry Lewis Telethon in all these posts, on all these message boards ... and I just wonder what Allen thinks about it all, considering that it's his heart, his cranium, and his life.

Frankly I couldn't give a fiddler's f*ck about the breast-beatings one reads on Gay Thailand or Baht-Stop where the general ~ altogether frigid & bureaucratic ~ spin is to question the methods or greed or decency of Pattaya's gay business elite ( which is all just phony 'Kissing-Hedda's-Ass' IMHO) in their rush to charitarize.

To be honest, I doubt very much whether any great profit is being taken from this sad occurence (some snowy Members here would gush otherwise-enjoyable bodily fluids over discovering such smoking guns) . . . I'd just like to know if Allen is aware of the rapidly-growing institutionilization of his name, and his awful ~ and one would think private ~ predicament.

Is all.

Cheers ....

Guest travelerjim

Hi topmanb,

My take only .... in response to a query of mine which raised the issue of publising Allen's intimate & personal medical problems in order to add to the necessity for the "need" of the fund raising campaign.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smiles said:

There is something in the many breathless postings of TraverlerJim and jinks, and etc etc etc which (unfortunately) smacks of a Jerry Lewis Telethon in all these posts, on all these message boards ... and I just wonder what Allen thinks about it all, considering that it's his heart, his cranium, and his life.

Hello Smiles,

I wish you had been with me from 10:00am until 6:00pm yesterday. I was with Allen along with two of his best friends - Wayne and Bud - and his bf.

We were at the hospital waiting for Allen to see both of his doctors - The Cardiologist and the Neurologist.

Following the good report from the Cardiologist - we were struck by the not so good news that complications had indeed developed from last week's Brain Surgery. The water on Allen's brain was not draining off as planned and the Surgeon said we needed to have Allen admitted into the hospital for surgery ASAP.

I saw Allen - and he is most grateful for all which is being done on his behalf. A proud man - he also realizes he does not have the baht to pay the medical bills - a fact!

For 5 hours Wednesday afternoon, starting at 1:00pm -Wayne and I along with the representative from th International Dept were on the phone making many calls back to USA seeking approval of his surgery. The insurance company - Blue Cross Worldwide - took all the info and even called the Surgeon and spoke to him about Allen's condition and need for added surgery.

At 3:00pm I asked the International Rep to call USA again - I wanted an answer! I did not get one from the call rep that answered the phone and using a technique from my past health insurance claims intervention experiences on behalf of my clients - I politely asked for a "Supervisor" - one came on the phone soon...and he was a very nice and understanding man - age of of about 30'sh.

Thank goodness - I thanked him and his Staff for the professional and courteous assistance in past insurance claims authorizations for Allen - and today - we needed his special expertise!

I believe I won him over with kindness and he understood the gravity of the situation - also he said it was 3:00am in New York USA and Midnight in California where his Blue Cross Insurance is from. He said he would make several personal calls and would get back to me ASAP.

I thanked him and we waited ....and waited...finally at 4:00pm - I went again to the International Desk and said to the International Rep - Please call the Surgeon - When does he want to do the surgery? Set the time and let's get Allen admitted to the hospital!

Also I asked her "how much does the hospital need in advance as guarantee of payment to get Allen admitted. She called Admission and said go to see them...they will try to help us.

The Surgeon said - admit him now and we will do surgery next morning Feb 1st at 9:00am.

We all went to Admissions at 5:00pm -

The admissions dept wanted 200,000 baht to admit him. I said that was not fair and that it was time for the hospital to do some "goodwill" admission - for he had the surgery last week - and it was approved by his insurance then - and it is logical that they will approve it again - and Allen needs the surgery now only because the surgery last week had developed "complications" - Please help him now!

I asked for a Manager - the Head Nurse came at 5:30pm to speak with me and I again asked her for her help.

While she was conversing with staff in admissions - another International Rep - Connie - rushed into Admissions and said " OK - admit him now - we have received the fax from Blue Cross In USA - they have approved his surgery! Great news and all smiles around :-)

Allen was overwhelmed with happiness and quietly nodded his appreciation to all and hugged his bf Ken.

Ken proceeded to wheel Allen - who has been in a wheelchair for most of the day - up to the 13th floor to his hospital room.

Indeed everyone was exhausted from the full days of activity at the hospital - and yes Smiles - Allen is aware of what his friends are doing on his behalf. He extends his heartfelt gratitude to all!

His life is at stake - and in times as these - there are some things which must be done - quickly - to see to it Allen - our dear friend - gets the medical care he needs.

While I had my credit card ready to give the hospital to guarantee his admission and payment (I had planned on this as a last course of resort during the late hours of the afternoon - for I was not going to let our dear friend leave the hospital without the operation he needed...even for a day - while the paperwork approvals worked their way through the insurance company.

I am most pleased he was admitted to the hospital at 6:00pm and he had the surgery this Thursday morning at 9:00am.

Hopefully we may be able to report later tonight - of Feb 1st - on his Surgery outcomes.

TravelerJim